Mike Krzyzewski Olympics interview
• Knicks forward Julius Randle speaks on 2OT win over Celtics
• No firm timetable yet for return of Bulls guard Coby White
• Deandre Ayton speaks on lack of Suns extension agreement
• G League: Raptors 905 coaching staff announced
• Pelicans and Jonas Valanciunas agree to contract extension
• Jaylen Brown had some breathing issues due to COVID-19
• Jim Boylen named head coach of November 2021 USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team
• DeMar DeRozan buys new Chicago mansion
• Celtics re-sign Jabari Parker
• Timberwolves exercise contract options on Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels
• Raptors exercise contract options on Precious Achiuwa and Malachi Flynn
• Lakers add Avery Bradley via waiver wire
• Hawks sign Kevin Huerter to contract extension
• Pacers sign Malcolm Brogdon to contract extension
• Grizzlies sign Jaren Jackson Jr. to contract extension
• Rockets add Garrison Mathews, waive Anthony Lamb
• Spurs exercise contract options on Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell
• Hornets waive Wes Iwundu
• Lakers sign Jay Huff to two-way contract
• Celtics sign Brodric Thomas to two-way contract
• Raptors waive forward Ishmail Wainright
• Memphis Grizzlies waive Kris Dunn, David Stockton and Matthew Hurt
• OKC Thunder waive Mamadi Diakite, Justin Jaworski and Oliver Sarr
• Trail Blazers waive Patrick Patterson, Marquese Chriss and Quinn Cook
• Timberwolves waive forward Vince Edwards
• Orlando Magic waive Admiral Schofield, B.J. Johnson, Jeff Dowtin and Hassani Gravett
• Utah Jazz waive forward Nino Johnson
• Mavericks waive Justin Jackson and EJ Onu
• Sacramento Kings exercise contract option on Tyrese Haliburton
• Dallas Mavericks sign Justin Jackson and E.J. Onu
• Dallas Mavericks waive Carlik Jones, Feron Hunt and Tyrell Terry
• Miami Heat waive DJ Stewart, Javonte Smart, Micah Potter and Dru Smith
• Rockets sign Daishen Nix, waive Marcus Foster
• Atlanta Hawks exercise contract options on DeíAndre Hunter, Cam Reddish and Onyeka Okongwu
• Timberwolves waive Brian Bowen II, Chris Silva, Matt Lewis and Isaiah Miller
• Grizzlies sign David Stockton, waive Ahmad Caver
• Kings waive forward Emanuel Terry
• Timberwolves sign forward Vince Edwards
• Lakers waive Joel Ayayi, Chaundee Brown Jr., Cameron Oliver and Trevelin Queen
• Pelicans waive John Petty Jr.
• Utah Jazz sign forward Nino Johnson
• Utah Jazz waive Derrick Alston Jr., Marques Bolden and MaCio Teague
• Charlotte Hornets waive Jalen Crutcher and Cameron McGriff
• Rockets sign Armoni Brooks and Marcus Foster, waive Tyler Bey
• Grizzlies sign Ahmad Caver and Matthew Hurt, waive Sean McDermott and Romeo Weems
• Lakers waive guard Mac McClung
On the morning of August 20, in the Olympic basketball quarterfinals, Team USA beat Australia, 116-85. Here's what USA head coach Mike Krzyzewski said after the game:
Question: Talk about the game.
Mike Krzyzewski: It was an honor to play Brianís (Goorjian) team. I thought theyíve been the most difficult team for us to defend. Their offense is so well-conceived for their personnel. The future is extremely bright (for Australia). In college, we are able to develop a program and I think whatís Brian has done is develop a great program with the Australian team. Theyíre a force to be reckoned with. We had to play really well in order to win. They caused us a lot of problems and Iím glad my Duke team doesnít play St. Maryís next year. (Patrick Mills) is a great guard. Heíll be an NBA guard and Iím very, very impressed and weíre ecstatic because we know we beat an outstanding team, who I think was playing their best basketball right now. So, it was a heck of a game for us.
Question: Can you talk about how LeBron has stepped up to be the leader of this team?
Mike Krzyzewski: I donít think heís the only leader. I think behind the scenes, Jason has been an outstanding leader and so has Kobe. But, LeBronís personality comes up and that started, I thought, after we lost to Greece in 2006 and we played Argentina. He actually played point guard for us that game. That started the process and Iím sure a lot with Cleveland and also with our own national team last summer, he just emerged. I think he has great leadership potential, and I think that will make him a better player. Because if youíre a leader, you have to be doing all the things youíre telling people to do. Iím proud of him. Iím really pleased with where heís at.
Question: Talk about Kobeís performance tonight.
Mike Krzyzewski: He had a great performance and he came up when we needed it the most. right at the start of the second half Ö it was such a possession by possession game Ö we were lucky that Deron hit that shot right at the end of the first half. The first half was possession by possession and then all of sudden, we had five or six possessions where we had threeís and they were unable to score and you get a 20-something point lead in a game that was not a 20-point game Ö Such a close game Ö and it gave us separation. It caused us also to change our defense; we just tried to take away 3ís and with Bosh in there, we were able to do a little bit of that. But, Kobe helped give us that separation.
Question: Talk about Australiaís Patrick Mills.
Mike Krzyzewski: He played really well against the last game Ö really tape doesnít do him justice. He looks good on tape Ö we should fast forward it Ö he really has great quickness. I love him defensively; Iím sure Brian does too. Iíve been a defensive coach my whole life and there arenít very many people who stay with a guard Ė like right on him Ė when he has the ball Ė and if heís beaten, he doesnít retreat; he continues to play the play. Heís got to be an extremely tough-minded kid. As good as he is offensively, I think heís got a chance to be a great defender. I think the kid has got a big time future, to be quite frank with you.
Question: Did you sense your guards are impressed with Mills?
Mike Krzyzewski: No question. Heís an impressive player. Heís got great quickness and great strength. What else can I say Ö he can shoot, heís tough-minded Ö heís so competitive. I mean the kidís going to be an NBA player Ö there is no question about it. What a great thing to build your future on. What
Brianís saying, (Australia) has so many good young players. (Brad) Newley is good Ö heís got such bounce to his game. And obviously (Andrew) Bogut is one of the better players in the NBA. They have a good young group to go with some crafty veterans. This is a very good Australian team. I feel like we beat a really good basketball team tonight. We had to play really well in order to do it.