Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

Default Legit or Not?

What/who is legit and who is faking it? (what do you expect to continue)

The Detroit Pistons resurgence
Chris Kaman domination
Brenden Haywood breakout
The Boston Celtics as best team in the league
The L.A. Clippers playoff bound
Hedo Turkoglu breakout
Danny Granger breakout
The New Orleans Hornets breakout
The Orlando Magic playoff bound
Chauncey Billups resurgence
The Indiana Pacers playoff bound
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
poeticism707
Local High School Star

Default Re: Legit or Not?

There is no such thing as "The Detroit Pistons Resurgence." They've been contenders, they are, and will continue to be until injuries or age prevent them.
poeticism707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticism707
There is no such thing as "The Detroit Pistons Resurgence." They've been contenders, they are, and will continue to be until injuries or age prevent them.

Resurgence meaning that they are playing like championship contenders, not only East contenders. Last year, they were an East contender. This year, so far, they are playing like NBA title contenders and look like they did 2-3 years ago. A lot of people wrote them off after last year.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
Resurgence meaning that they are playing like championship contenders, not only East contenders. Last year, they were an East contender. This year, so far, they are playing like NBA title contenders and look like they did 2-3 years ago. A lot of people wrote them off after last year.

With the best record in the East and playing in the ECF?

Classic.

There is no resurgence there. To make the finals you will go through Detroit.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
YAWN
NBA All-star

Kaman = GOAT
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
e20dyl4n
Local High School Star

id like to see the pistons spurs rockets mavs face celtics before you say they are the best
e20dyl4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
RagingBull33
I pooped a hammer.

The Detroit Pistons resurgence No resurgence, always were a threat
Chris Kaman domination Nah, he will get a slight stat increase because of no Brand, but will soon fade back to being a good center
Brenden Haywood breakout Grabbing boards without a jumpshot and no post moves = nothing but a good starter. Definatley not a break-out player
The Boston Celtics as best team in the league Debateable, but as a fan I have to say 'yes'.
The L.A. Clippers playoff bound :
Hedo Turkoglu breakout Always was a good player, will benefit due to increased playing time. Not what you'd call breaking out.
Danny Granger breakout Haven't seen him play much, but due to statlines, it looks like he'll be a future All-Star if he keeps on the same track. Could be like what Iggy was when AI left.
The New Orleans Hornets breakout Barring injuries to Paul, they're definitely a playoff team.
The Orlando Magic playoff bound Sure
Chauncey Billups resurgence Same case as the Pistons.
The Indiana Pacers playoff bound Possibly, but my bet goes on 'no'. They seem to have good chemistry, but the only way they get in is as a shocker time, a la GSW last year.
RagingBull33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxSuperStar
What/who is legit and who is faking it? (what do you expect to continue)

Chris Kaman domination
Brenden Haywood breakout
Hedo Turkoglu breakout
Danny Granger breakout
first off, what is up with all the chicagoans in phx?

Pistons are legit. 2 legit 2 quit (go hammer, go hammer, go hammer go!)

Kaman will have a much better season than last year. on par with 2 years ago but not dominant.

havent seen brenda play but Im not sold, since hes quick to quit on a situation and mope

boston will wear down over the season. still top notch but not the best

thats all i feel like doing right now.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #9
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
What resurgence? They were one of the best teams last year, and other than an implosion they would have represented the east.

Quote:
Chris Kaman domination
He has done it in the past but if he can keep going it will be good. Can't see it though as Brand will return eventually.

Quote:
Brenden Haywood breakout
No. He is having a solid stretch, but he still doesn't cause any teams any kind of problems. It's not like teams worry about him.

Quote:
They are the most talented team in the East, but they are a lot like the Lakers with their 4 HOF players. They will start hot because they are so talented, it is how they handle the first consectutive losses or one of the players complaining about looks that will be the question. Good thing is I don't see the latter happening with who they have. I still rate the Spurs ahead of them and will do so until one of them is eliminated in the playoffs. Best two players in the league and they have support casts.

Quote:
Sam Cassell is the most underrated player in the league. When he was healthy last year the Clippers were playoff bound, when Sam was healthy the year before they were in the playoffs, when he was healthy in Minny they were a contender, he got hurt and it ended. Sam is legit, if Sam is healthy they are a playoff contender, if Brand comes back at 100% and they stay together, they can certainly give the top teams a challenge in the playoffs. Unfortunately Sam staying healthy has been a big issue for the last 5 years now.

Quote:
Hedo Turkoglu breakout
Someone has to shoot for the team. It's actually Jameer though that is breaking out, he is doing a far bettter job of getting the ball to his teammates and not putting his head down and dribbling it to death this year. Hedo started the same way last year. Don't see the break out though, Stan Van Gundy is the difference from last year but they are still a very volatile team.

Quote:
Danny Granger breakout
Haven't seen the Pacers this year(has anyone?) but it wouldn't surprise me. Granger can be a star in this league.

Quote:
Read my Clippers comment only change Sam with Chris. PG is still the most important position along with center. If you have a good one, you will win a lot of games.

Quote:
5 games in... Dwight "Kevin Willis" Howard is a good solid player. They are in the east. Their chuckers are hitting their shots. Nelson is playing really well. Van Gundy is a good coach. They really lack depth though and given their defense or lack there of it will really depend on what happens when Hedo, Shard and Bogans stop shooting lights out.

Quote:
He ever fell off?

Quote:
In the east anything is possible. Adding a legit contender to the top in Boston doesn't stop the fact that the rest of the division is still rubbish and wide open. Teams like Washington, Toronto, New Jersey, Orlando and Indiana have been making the playoffs in the last couple of years despite major problems, hell Cleveland represented the East last year. If that isn't the "anything can happen" conference in all of pro sports(NFC gives it a challenge no doubt) then I don't know what is. After the top 2 teams the east is a complete crap shoot.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
havent seen brenda play but Im not sold, since hes quick to quit on a situation and mope
After watching him throughout his days at UNC and then during his time with the Wizards, this is the most effort I've ever seen him put into a stretch of games. I'm not going to hold my breath that he'll be able to keep this up, but he's hustling like he's never hustled playing basketball before.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #11
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
They've been top 5 for 5+ years, and nothing has changed.

Quote:
Chris Kaman domination
Domination? I've been saying he would be an allstar center (behind Yao) for a while now, and he let me down last year. Dude has all the tools to be a 18/10 first option in the post, and a force on defense. Terrific touch in the post with either hand, a variety of post moves, a great combo of strength and speed, and good defense/rebounding to go along with it all. Just had to put it together. Seems like he has. He's not going to be going for 15/22 every other night, but 16/11/2 wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Quote:
Brenden Haywood breakout
Here's the thing, this isn't really a breakout in an improvement sense, nor is it an improvement in a more minutes sense. Brendan's just actually trying now, and it's showing in his game. He's had the capabilities, the tools, to do exactly what he's doing now his entire career. So I suppose it would have to be called legit because as long as he keeps trying, it's going to continue (just to a slightly lesser degree). However, it is Brendan, so everything is always up in the air. As a fan, I want to say yes, but having been let down so much over the past few years, it's a difficult thing to do.

Quote:
They are definitely up there, but certainly not the consensus. I don't think anyone is ever the absolute best team in the league until the end of the Finals, and that only lasts until the start of the next season.

Quote:
Ha! Hell no.

Quote:
Hedo Turkoglu breakout
He'll come back down to earth sooner or later, but he's always put solid all around stats.

Quote:
Danny Granger breakout
Yeah, I'd say it's legit.

Quote:
Yeah, I've been saying Paul's going to have a huge year (proving all those Deron fans wrong at the same time) for a while now, and he's done nothing to make me want to take back those claims. I can see a 5-6 seed for them for sure, providing everyone stays healthy (no easy task).

Quote:
I certainly hope not, I hate everything about that team. Not sure why.

But yeah, I have to say it is legit. They'll be a mid-bottom seed. Unfortunately for the fans.

Quote:
Eh? Resurgence?

Quote:
Close, but no cigar.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
lawlerslaw100
Good High School Starter

Exclamation Re: Legit or Not?

KAveman is legit. The man has talent and now the mental part of his
game as come around along with him getting into world class condition
for the season. The Pistons will see that he is legit. 4 solid games
in a row shows it.

The Clips are playoff bound especially with a consistent, mature, and
healthy Kaveman. This team will be 500 or better in mid February when EB rejoins the team. Remember last year this team underachieved and
this year these guys are being dissed by all. The off-season
acquistions of the kobestopper, brevin knight, and diks sporting goods
was underrated. This is a deep team with good chemistry and decent
coaching.
lawlerslaw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #13
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

Let me clarify my Pistons/Billups resurgence.

Yes, they've been a top team for the past five years, but watching this year's team, compared to last year's team (which I thought was on a bit of a decline), I feel that they are better than they were last year and Chauncey looks MUCH better than HE did last year.

I think last year they had injuries and a lot of issues. This year they looked more focused, fresher and intent on winning.

Last year, while good, I never felt they had a chance to win the championship. This year, through 4 measly games, they look like they can win a championship again. Maybe its just me, but I think they are better than last year.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:59 PM   #14
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
first off, what is up with all the chicagoans in phx?

Most of us hate the cold whether. After about 22 years it just wore on me (and the others out here).

Palm trees, beautiful girls, laid back attitude, fantastic weather vs scraping ice off my car at -22 degrees...

There are a ton of transplants from both Chicago and New York here.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #15
JPR
Banned

anything regarding the pistons or billups resurgence is silly to me as they have been the most consistent dominant team in the East for years. we can put those questions to rest.

both granger and hedo are going to have great years. granger is just filthy talented (watch for dunleavy's resurgence as well). but hedo finally has talent around him like he did back in the day as a king when he stood out. rashard is doing wonder's for hedo's game.

haywood's breakout is just that, a breakout. it will break back in soon enough.

kaman's game will suffer when brand comes back from injury to lack of touches.

the clippers are legit and playoff bound. they are one of the oldest teams in the league averaging 6 years of experience per player.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: