Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
AllNBAArenas
Decent playground baller

AllNBAArenas has an OK reputation so far
Default Yes or No? Will Mitch Kupchak ever sign an all star caliber free agent in his career?

Other than a trading Kobe, who's talent and name sells itself. Will Kupchak ever trade for or sign a free agent who is currently all-star caliber? Malone and Payton were both old when the Lakers picked them up, so they don't count. The last free agent who was currently all-star caliber was Glen Rice right? And that was the year before he took over. How bad of a GM do you have to be in order not to have picked up one all-star in your entire career(5 years?) and brought them over to one of the most desirable destinations for player in the league?

So yes or no? Will the Kupchak ever nab a good player in his career as the Laker's GM?
AllNBAArenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Yes or No? Will Mitch Kupchak ever sign an all star caliber free agent in his car

who has there been that the Lakers could have even afforded?
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board
Default Re: Yes or No? Will Mitch Kupchak ever sign an all star caliber free agent in his car

How often are all-stars signed by new teams?

The last few I can think of:

Rashard Lewis: borderline all-star

Ben Wallace: not really an allstar level player, just a really good defender on an elite team

Hughes: Hasn't been an allstar since

Theres probably one or two more, can't think of any others atm though.

Point being: all-stars don't get signed by new teams very often.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
who has there been that the Lakers could have even afforded?

The bigger question is what all stars have been unrestricted free agents that haven't signed with their own teams in the last few years? I can't think of any off the top of my head. These days, free agency is more about signing mediocre players and potential and hoping them have all star seasons.

So will -anyone- sign an all star free agent? Not without a sign and trade, not with the way the league has been for the last few years.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
How often are all-stars signed by new teams?

The last few I can think of:

Rashard Lewis: borderline all-star

Ben Wallace: not really an allstar level player, just a really good defender on an elite team

Hughes: Hasn't been an allstar since

Theres probably one or two more, can't think of any others atm though.

Point being: all-stars don't get signed by new teams very often.

Rashard Lewis was a sign and trade, and isn't an all star.

Ben Wallace isn't an all star.

Larry Hughes isn't an all star. He's been an all star once? Great, but he's not an all star now, and he wasn't when he was signed to that contract.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
steadyfast96
Serious playground baller

steadyfast96 has an OK reputation so far

As far as signing free agents, probably not. These days teams like to sign thier superstars to contract extensions before they come up as restricted free agents, (Yao, Lebron, Wade, Carmelo, etc)
steadyfast96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
eeeeeebro
Decent college freshman

eeeeeebro has decent reputationeeeeeebro has decent reputation

your probably not aware that kobe makes 19 mil a year. and he has to have 10 other players for less than 27 mil Oden is what you get. you either trade him and get something else or keep him. Hes always injured so.
eeeeeebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Mitch can't even pull this off in 2k8.....
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #9
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenRawley
Rashard Lewis was a sign and trade, and isn't an all star.

Ben Wallace isn't an all star.

Larry Hughes isn't an all star. He's been an all star once? Great, but he's not an all star now, and he wasn't when he was signed to that contract.
Do you have issues comprehending what you read? Cause, you're trying really hard to disagree with me even though we are saying the exact same thing.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
32MJ32
PG, Boonville Jerkoffs

32MJ32 has decent reputation

Grant Hill is the last one I remember. Yeah, way back when. Before him: Shaq. I read on SI.com that Shaq is the only free agent signing to lead his new team to a championship. Sounds right. I could look it up and post the link but I'm sure you're all capable of operating your keyboards and mouses and Google toolbars and finding it if you don't believe me.

If you count guys who were signed before they were All-Stars but turned out to be All-Stars, there a couple that spring to mind. Arenas, for one. T-Mac is another. I'm sure there's more. But I'm not sure if that was the question.

Signing dudes isn't the answer. Mitch needs to concentrate on drafting and/or trading for talent, which has been the way teams have succeeded since they brought in the cap. So far, his best pick looks to be Bynum but he is a long way off All-Star form. Considering he got rid of Butler, who then became an All-Star elsewhere, he hasn't been much good at trading, either. (Mitch is ****.)
32MJ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #11
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Last time I checked Kobe was an all star free agent when he managed to sign him.

But it's just not that easy. I mean honestly, who was the last free agent that was all star calibre as a free agent? Arenas maybe? Because of the way it works now they just that aren't easy to get, for half his reign his cap space was negative with Shaq and Kobe for the rest it was all used up on Kobe, Lamar and scrubs. It's just not that easy.

His drafting is a far bigger problem anyway.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

all stars tend to cost alot of money 15 to 20 million plus...not many teams have that kind of cap space... so that leaves sign and trades as one of the few avenues to getting a free agent which makes it even harder... even if mitch had wanted to sign an all star since he's been GM there has never been that kind of cap space... this year was one of the first ones where the team wasn't bouncing off the luxuary tax threshold since he became GM
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #13
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

A few posters have nailed it.

Big-name free agents generally stay put unless someone's willing to pony up SERIOUS cash.

The best free agent acquisitions are usually the role players that are gotten at a good price so that retaining good drafted players doesn't break the bank.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #14
LilJonIsSoCrunk
banned camp

LilJonIsSoCrunk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
Last time I checked Kobe was an all star free agent when he managed to sign him.

But it's just not that easy. I mean honestly, who was the last free agent that was all star calibre as a free agent? Arenas maybe? Because of the way it works now they just that aren't easy to get, for half his reign his cap space was negative with Shaq and Kobe for the rest it was all used up on Kobe, Lamar and scrubs. It's just not that easy.

His drafting is a far bigger problem anyway.

he has drafted better than 80 percent of his counterparts. farmar was a great pick. bynum, turiaf, walton, cook all good draft picks. crittenton could pan out too.
LilJonIsSoCrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #15
32MJ32
PG, Boonville Jerkoffs

32MJ32 has decent reputation

Cook was good pick? How? What exactly has Farmar done so far? Vujacic was a first rounder, too (ugh.)

Turiaf was good value for where he was drafted, but he's no star. Ditto Walton. Bynum looks like he's on his way.

Crittenton isn't worth commenting on yet, but I don't know how you can say he's done better than 80% of his counterparts when he's come up with 1 consistent starter (Walton), two hit and miss guys rotation guys (Turiaf, Famar), two bums (Cook, Sasha) and one good prospect (Bynum.) Did I miss anyone?
32MJ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: