Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-29-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Liberalo
Banned

Liberalo has an OK reputation so far
Default Trading Kobe just may be the best option for the Lakers...

Let's not fool ourselves, it isn't working.

He's the best player in the world right now and he"ll always make the Lakers competitive at least. They"ll make the playoffs, he"ll put on a show, put asses in seats, make people watch the Lakers and overall just give them #1 rating in every category.

But here's the deal. The Lakers just may not be going anywhere with him if what they plan is indeed keeping Bynum and developing this pathetic core.

Basically, this summer they need to decide. Is it Kobe or is it a complete rebuilding.

Now, you may think this makes no sense but how much effort have the Lakers put in getting Kobe the help he needs?
Not much really.
They've been ignoring some issues for a long time now.

The direction of the team is very unknown. Where are they going? What are they doing?

If they don't manage to build around Kobe this summer, I want them to split ways.

1. The Lakers can get young talent in return.
2. The Lakers can get an expiring contract in return and have a much better cap situation
3. If they get rid of Kobe, they won't be mediocre but bad which means they"ll have higher draft picks.

Basically, youth + draft + cap space.

That's how you rebuild.

The Kobe project has failed misserably so far.l
It's not Kobe's fault because he was never really given what he needs to succed but why beat a dead horse? If it isn't working, it isn't.
If the management wants to keep some players and risk Kobe's patience, why not trade him right away before he demands a trade himself or walks out in 2 years?

At least get something back for him.

If they fail this summer then Kobe should be put on the market and be given a chance to win with a competitive organization that will try to build around him.

His value is so high that the Lakers can get all for him, from young talent to cap space to even some draft picks.

Seriously, I know it sounds ugly but what's the alternative if they don't build around Kobe?

Have Kobe will you to the playoffs, be out of the playoffs in round 1 year after year and be stuck in mediocrity because of no cap space, not so good draft picks and very little youth?

This summer, they need to grow some balls.

It's Kobe and Phil or a total makeover. Someone's got to go.

It's in the worst interest of the team to keep Kobe and keep developing this pathetic core and some young talent on the team. It doesn't work that way.

You either win now or later. You don't build the way the Lakers are building right now.
Liberalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Trading Kobe just may be the best option for the Lakers...

This is basically the same as my thread but much more detailed. I agree though. Mitch, make your choice. Kobe/Phil or Bynum/Odom?
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
This is basically the same as my thread but much more detailed. I agree though. Mitch, make your choice. Kobe/Phil or Bynum/Odom?

I will take the choice I bolded, cause if not we have the dumbest Owner and GM.

P.S. Liberalo, you dont just trade one of the the best players in the league.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
elementally morale
College superstar

elementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputation

This idea is bad.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Liberalo
Banned

Liberalo has an OK reputation so far

1. The Odom experiment has failed badly. Hate me all you want but it's true. He's wrong for this team despite his numbers, heroic play despite injuries and all that he's overcome this summer. Has grown to be a terrific person but not a good fit on the Lakers. Needs to be gone

2. The Lakers can't be a hostage of Bynum. If they can get value for him, they must do it. Period.

3. They can't be picky anymore and pass on players because they're shoot first or have attitude problems or something. If they're talent, you need to get them.

The talent level on the Lakers is pathetic. They're not even top 10 talent wise in the west and add fact that their 2nd guy isn't really a 2nd option and doesn't mesh well with the #1 guy and I don't see anything good there.

I'm all for building around Kobe, him leaving the Lakers would break my heart but if the management insists on some players and refuses to see the truth then the best option is to trade Kobe, start from the scratch and get Kobe a chance to fulfil his dreams somewhere else.

After 3 years and what's management has done, how many good deals they've passed on and many FA's because of the 2007 plan that failed, it's painfully obvious that they have no direction.

Kobe and Phil should have a serious meeting with Jerry, Jimmi and Mitch this summer and discuss the future of the club. There's no other solution.

They need to decide on the direction they want and just start doing things, adding talent and right pieces that fit.

Otherwise, give Kobe a chance elsewhere and build around those you don't want to trade elsewhere.
Liberalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool

Also any trade the Lakers wanna do with Kobe has to be ok'ed with Kobe...I dont think Kobe would mind leaving if theydont wanna put a real team around him. Trade Kobe to the Rockets for T-Mac or to the Nuggets for AI or opt out and go to the Pistons.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
qwerty
(o_0)

qwerty has decent reputationqwerty has decent reputation

and how many fans do they expect to lose?
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

This is basically what I've been saying last few months...

Bynum or Kobe? Take your pick.

My prediction is Lakers will settle for Bynum. Idiots, fools, ignorant, you name it..because nothing they've done in the last several years says otherwise
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #9
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

who would want him???

the lakers want a lot in return and if its proven he cant win a championship by himself, why would another team waste their bright future on a no hoper?
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
and how many fans do they expect to lose?
lol all of them.... except those people like me that were lakers fans before kobe and will be a fan longer after he's gone... there's alot of fans that are more kobe fans than laker fans... does that make sense?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #11
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
who would want him???

the lakers want a lot in return and if its proven he cant win a championship by himself, why would another team waste their bright future on a no hoper?
Because stars win championships by themselves right? Kobe can't win a ring with Smush, Luke, Kwame, Odom, he's worthless. Why would anyone want him, right? Moron.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
KINGD
Banned

KINGD has an OK reputation so far

Wonder when the "kobe asked for it" comments will begin?
KINGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #13
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

That makes absolutely no sense. The Lakers chose Kobe to be the leader of the team, and they need to mold the team around who I believe to be the unquestionably best active player currently on the planet.
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #14
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Lamar Odom doesn't play at a high intensity for even a quarter of the time he is out on the floor. He might be a good 3rd option on another team if he doesn't step it up a bit. He's definitely not earning his salary.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #15
D-Town-Raised
I brick open layups

D-Town-Raised has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool

You do if you are the 76'ers. They traded Barkley when he was the second best player in the league and had had 3 MVP caliber seasons in a row losing out simply because of Magic, Jordan and team record. He then proceeded to win MVP and get the Suns to the Finals.

The 76er's got average players. The best leaving quickly. Resulting in cap space. They were God awful pieces of crap resulting in them getting the number 2 pick only 2 years after the trade. Too bad that pick was Shawn Bradley. They remained God awful pieces of crap resulting in them getting the number 1 pick three years after the number 2 pick. Allen Iverson. 9 years later they made the Finals. Trade Kobe and in 9 years the Lakers will make the Finals and lose. Then be first round playoff losers 5 years straight. Then their best player who was a result of them getting a high pick from sucking after trading Kobe will become disgruntled and leave.

We are talking about the Lakers who have only missed the playoffs 5 times in 60 years of ball. They don't rebuild.
D-Town-Raised is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: