Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 03-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Default Would anything have been different....

....if the Knicks kept Lin instead of Felton? setting aside the contract do you think anything would be different?

Quote:
West on radar as PG play disappoints
By MARC BERMAN

LOS ANGELES — The Knicks aren’t that desperate yet, but will be one of the teams monitoring the progress of mercurial point guard Delonte West, expected to make his D-League debut tonight when the Texas Legends host the Santa Cruz Warriors.

West is a super talent and super headache, but, at 29, a relative pup by Knicks standards. He hasn’t played all season but was effective last year with Dallas. The Knicks haven’t been thrilled with their point-guard play since Christmas, with Raymond Felton and Jason Kidd falling back to Earth, Iman Shumpert not being a reliable scorer and playmaking rookie Pablo Prigioni not enough of an offensive threat.

The Knicks don’t have a roster spot and rehabbing Rasheed Wallace is on the West Coast trip for “moral support,’’ coach Mike Woodson said. Woodson acknowledged he will sit down with general manager Glen Grunwald after the trip to explore options. Wallace would have to be cut to open a roster spot.

Wallace (foot surgery) could be back for the second round of the playoffs, but seems like a longshot. The Knicks probably won’t spring for a big-man signing unless Marcus Camby’s foot gives out again. Camby looked active in Portland Thursday.

The Knicks’ options are slim since they cannot sign a player waived after March 1 to be on the playoff roster. The top D-League centers include Hilton Armstrong, Vernon Macklin, Hassan Whiteside, Keith Benson, and Solomon Alabi.

Last edited by Rameek : 03-16-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Default Re: Would anything have been different....

Lin was a distraction, and the players pretty much all basically admitted they were happy for him to leave.

But anyways, Felton has been terrible, and this season migh be worse than his "fat" one last year.

when the positives of his game leaves him, he becomes terrible.\

Can't shoot, defense suspect, and now turns over the ball.

If we had Lin 2 of those things would have been immediate from game 1.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

As up and down as Felton is, he still is just as good if not better than Lin, while playing with 2 fingers on his shooting hand taped together. Let's not forget too that Lin makes 3X what Felton makes. Also, against the better Eastern Conference teams, Lin hasn't faired well.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity
Lin was a distraction, and the players pretty much all basically admitted they were happy for him to leave.

But anyways, Felton has been terrible, and this season migh be worse than his "fat" one last year.

when the positives of his game leaves him, he becomes terrible.\

Can't shoot, defense suspect, and now turns over the ball.

If we had Lin 2 of those things would have been immediate from game 1.
During the season really or after the season he was a distraction? During the season he took a lot of pressure off this teams ineptitude and helped lead the team back to playoff contention.

With all shortcomings I do think this team would have been better with him starting. He was a playmaker and creator and ballzy! Felton does not look as good as Lin.

Before people start with the money stuff read my original post before commenting.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Clutch
NBA Legend

We wouldn't have been better if we had Lin instead of Felton.

On the other hand we would have probably been better if we had BOTH Lin and Felton.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
During the season really or after the season he was a distraction? During the season he took a lot of pressure off this teams ineptitude and helped lead the team back to playoff contention.

With all shortcomings I do think this team would have been better with him starting. He was a playmaker and creator and ballzy! Felton does not look as good as Lin.

Before people start with the money stuff read my original post before commenting.
The team could have had both guys, but you gotta believe there was more to why Lin is not a Knick.

Chemistry is everything and i doubt these guys would be comfortable with Lin being the main playmaker, as the all have had words to express they are content without him.

and it's mainly his contract, normally players dont make comments about it, but they all did.

and Lin absolutely was a distraction even to the point of thinking when melo came back could they COEXIST and melo would mess things up.

He's in a better place for him, i'd welcome an upgrade over Felton, but Lin isn't that player.

But to me and i maintain, the playoffs will determine this teams worth as a whole.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

I've seen a few Rockets games this year, and Lin's looking good. He's a better passer than anyone one the Knicks; though obviously Jason Kidd gets the benefit of the doubt. He's better than Felton.

But JR's ego would have been hurt if he wasn't making as much money as an Asian guy, so there's that.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Really just take the money/contract out of the equation would this team be better with Felton or Lin?

Interesting take with Felton and Lin I do agree that would have been an interesting combo. Definitely a better combo than what's here now.

I do think a lot of the problems we see with this team now is in Lin's wheel house.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Felton's not really a point guard. He's a tiny shooting guard who isn't all that great. Felton would excel as a scorer off the bench where he could get the ball early in the clock and not worry too much about getting his team mates involved. His ego would never allow it though.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

He's a pg, he's playing like a backup though.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

A backup to an actual PG.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Yes we would have been off with Lin. Felton is awful.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #13
Clutch
NBA Legend

First of all,Lin isn't really a pass-first point guard. He's more of a scoring guard who can pass as well.
Is he better than Felton ? It's arguable.
Lin is playing on the Rockets team who runs all the time and scores like 110 a game so his stats are inflated. Also he's a much better fit there than he would have been in NY.

If we had him instead of Felton I'm pretty sure some guys like Melo and J.R. wouldn't like it.
Then you have another problem. Lin likes to have the ball in his hands and also prefers an up tempo game.
At the beginning of the season he struggled playing off the ball even on Houston team who basically just runs.

Would we be better with Lin INSTEAD OF Felton ? NO. Felton is a better fit and it seems like his teammates like him. He can also at least carry the ball up the court against Miami without turning it over.

Would we be better with BOTH Lin and Felton ? YES. Start Felton and let Lin come off the bench to provide some scoring and playmaking. In that way we would have a great backup point guard,Melo and J.R. wouldn't complain too much because he wouldn't get as much attention as a backup and Lin would have the ball in his hands and a chance to play like he knows the best.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #14
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

I don't get how this is even an argument lol It's not like we can't see what Jeremy Lin is doing. Stats aren't everything but numbers don't lie. Their pretty much doing the same exact thing this year and one guy plays better vs good teams and the other crawls into his little hole. I just don't get how you can justify giving a guy 3X what Felton makes for virtually the same production. Especially when, theres a strong possibility he would have been a distraction or his contract would have caused turmoil in the locker room. I can't stand Jason Kidd but I wouldn't trade him for that Landry Fields contract.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Franchize dont make me stab you.

This thread is based on the court not CONTRACT!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: