Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Dr. Cheesesteak
Local High School Star

Dr. Cheesesteak has decent reputation
Default calling travel?

So, I've started playing at the gym on saturdays the past handful of weeks. There's almost never enough for 5's full court, it's almost always 2's or 3's half court...so a lot more driving. There is this 1 guy who shows up maybe every other week or so and travels on almost every drive - 3-step eurosteps or 3-step spins.

Some players don't seem to react/care, but it bothers other players, including me, who are fundamentally sound and actually respect the game (). A couple of us have muddled it under our breath before, but of course we let it go - we don't wanna be "that guy". Except now he's been showing up more often and it's starting to get annoying as hell, especially considering the guys is kind of a douche - almost as if he knows no one will call it on him.

What are your guys' thoughts? Is it proper etiquette to call, even enforce travels? Should I just check him on that third step and say "oh sorry, I was trying to box you out b/c I thought you'd lay it up after that 2nd step, since you're supposed to lay it up after the 2nd step"?
Dr. Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
miggyme1
Local High School Star

miggyme1 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrymiggyme1 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: calling travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak
So, I've started playing at the gym on saturdays the past handful of weeks. There's almost never enough for 5's full court, it's almost always 2's or 3's half court...so a lot more driving. There is this 1 guy who shows up maybe every other week or so and travels on almost every drive - 3-step eurosteps or 3-step spins.

Some players don't seem to react/care, but it bothers other players, including me, who are fundamentally sound and actually respect the game (). A couple of us have muddled it under our breath before, but of course we let it go - we don't wanna be "that guy". Except now he's been showing up more often and it's starting to get annoying as hell, especially considering the guys is kind of a douche - almost as if he knows no one will call it on him.

What are your guys' thoughts? Is it proper etiquette to call, even enforce travels? Should I just check him on that third step and say "oh sorry, I was trying to box you out b/c I thought you'd lay it up after that 2nd step, since you're supposed to lay it up after the 2nd step"?

where im from...we call fouls and travels,double dribbles. we dont call charges...but i feel like in any game u have to call fouls and traveling.its just the two basic rules everybody must abide by when hoopin....traveling is a MAJOR violation
miggyme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggyme1
where im from...we call fouls and travels,double dribbles. we dont call charges...but i feel like in any game u have to call fouls and traveling.its just the two basic rules everybody must abide by when hoopin....traveling is a MAJOR violation

This drives me nuts as well. I play with some pretty good players who travel and carry regularly and calling it seems to do no good. I think the problem is they aren't called as much in the NCAA now and definitely not in the NBA. Any time the ball comes to rest in a players hand it is a carry yet players pass the halfway point all the time. Any time you lift and plant your pivot foot it is a travel but most players now catch then set their feet which is a travel.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

this bothers me a lot too but honestly it doesn't happen much where I play, it's pretty high level basketball most of the time so dudes wouldn't be doing stuff like that anyway. there's something we say at our court "quality control", keep the quality of basketball high and everyone will enjoy, win or lose. Dudes like that are a detriment to the game because it turns everyone from players into refs and leads to pointless arguments. I think also it's a lot easier to call travel on people you know or play with often.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
stevieming

stevieming has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak

I would call it. Everything ****ing time until the guy stops.....if it's a guy who is terrible and barely gets the ball and doesn't know how to play very well, I might let them off, but someone can play and deliberately travels. I would just go get the ball and say no point if he scores.

Straight up I'd enforce it, and I've played streetball on all kinds of courts....

obviously it's got to be obvious for the call, not like the super duper confusing did he or didn't he james harden drives...in which case you kinda of got to let it go if you're not sure.
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
stevieming

stevieming has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggyme1

totally agree..

typically you have to let these go:

grabbing your shirt (depends on how obvious)
smacking your hand to steal the ball
weak fouls where you get bumped or shouldered

Travels and Double dribbles - call it every time if it's obvious.
stevieming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieming
it's got to be obvious for the call, not like the super duper confusing did he or didn't he james harden drives...in which case you kinda of got to let it go if you're not sure.
I think that's got to be the thing. If it's one of those types of travels that'd start big arguments on a message board where people begin trying to scientifically decipher where a player truly began his gather and whether that means they actually took three steps instead of two, I do not believe in making that call.

However, if it's just a ridiculously over the top walk where it's clearly out of place and unnatural, I think that's a good call to make. At the courts I've played at, on travel calls, the offender usually knows what they did was beyond the lines of ridiculosity, so there's usually not an argument. But if someone begins trying to call the 2.5 steps travels, things usually don't end well.

I think it's kind of similar to calling over the back. If a street player comes plowing over someone's back, knocking them over, and wildly swatting at the ball - I think it's acceptable to call a foul or object to that sort of play (to which the offender will likely once again acknowledge). But aside from those mega violations, a lot of the ticky-tack over-the-back calls that'd be made in real games are often passed over in street contests.

Long story short, if the travel is ridiculously obvious, it's callable. If it's borderline, calling it is also borderline.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

I call it every time, whether people are going to respect it or not.

If people don't care I start adding a third step and I fuck people up. Their loss.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #9
2swift4u
High School Varsity 6th Man

2swift4u has decent reputation2swift4u has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieming
I would call it. Everything ****ing time until the guy stops.....if it's a guy who is terrible and barely gets the ball and doesn't know how to play very well, I might let them off, but someone can play and deliberately travels. I would just go get the ball and say no point if he scores.

this. If he's obviously using it to his advantage, to get away from his defender and get an open lay up or something like that then you have to call it. If he's a beginner and doesn't know the rules, then I let him off. I've been in this situation before, there's a small guy who plays pick up games with us sometimes and he's quite a good ball handler, however he takes a lot of extra steps and like this he gets his points. When I defended him for the first time it was very confusing because I always thought I had him beat to a spot but then he got away. After a while I realized that he took a third or even fourth step to get away from me. Still it's hard to call because he will argue the call and most other players are insecure or say they didn't see it.
2swift4u is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: