Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick
 
IamRAMBO24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,157
IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Reality Check on Gun Control

Reality Check

Hard to argue against Reality Check.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
MMM
877-954-1893
 
MMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,339
MMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

What I find interesting is how any change in the existing laws can be claimed as the first step to take away guns by opponents of gun control. If the government wants to restrict certain weapons, which they are entitled to do, then the opponents will justify it as one step to eventually taking all guns. Genuinely speaking, what laws would be acceptable to law-abiding gun owners??? Because it seems even things such as registrations of weapons would be seen as an infringement on rights.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick
 
IamRAMBO24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,157
IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
What I find interesting is how any change in the existing laws can be claimed as the first step to take away guns by opponents of gun control. If the government wants to restrict certain weapons, which they are entitled to do, then the opponents will justify it as one step to eventually taking all guns. Genuinely speaking, what laws would be acceptable to law-abiding gun owners??? Because it seems even things such as registrations of weapons would be seen as an infringement on rights.

That is not the argument, the argument the anti-gun advocates are upholding is that "Possession of firearms will lead to mass murder."

Which is a false premise as Reality Check pointed out. Of course gun murders are higher in the US because of the possession of more guns, but more violent crimes are being committed per capita in the UK, which doesn't involve the use of guns but by other violent means, and based on the low percentage of gun ownership it could hypothetically increase such violent crimes as burglary.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
That is not the argument, the argument the anti-gun advocates are upholding is that "Possession of firearms will lead to mass murder."

Which is a false premise as Reality Check pointed out. Of course gun murders are higher in the US because of the possession of more guns, but more violent crimes are being committed per capita in the UK, which doesn't involve the use of guns but by other violent means, and based on the low percentage of gun ownership it could hypothetically increase such violent crimes as burglary.

Funnily enough I confronted a burglar today. I was at my Grandma's house and I was just leaving and we thought we saw someone on her neighbors property pushing on a window. We didn't think much of it because we assumed he was supposed to be there (the guy was dressed sort of like a tradesman). We kept walking up the drive and then he must of spotted us and tried to hide behind this low wall with some bushes next to it, which actually gave him away. I went up the neighbors driveway and asked him what he was doing and he said *he was getting a drink of water. I just said "uhuh" and stared at him. He just started walking away slowly, once he got to the sidewalk he sped up a bit and turned at the corner. Didn't see him after that.

The point is though that burglary isn't really a violent crime. As I've said before, they want your stuff, they don't want to be bothered with you. Whether you have guns or not they are more likely to enter your home when you aren't there. And if you aren't home, what difference does owning a gun make?

*Edit - actually he said he was getting some water, because when he left we looked for a tap around where he was and there wasn't one.

Last edited by miller-time : 01-16-2013 at 01:35 AM.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
MMM
877-954-1893
 
MMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,339
MMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Also restricting guns is constitutional from my understanding but you would still be able to defend your self. I don't see anyone arguing for ban on all guns. The problem seems to be that there is very little trust in anything that the government offers up on this matter.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
DirtySanchez
National High School Star
 
DirtySanchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,013
DirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat coolDirtySanchez is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Quote:
Ben Swann is comparing USA to super dangerous countries as 28th most homocides. The countries that are 27th to most homicides are 100% all lawless countries in Central America, South America, Northern EX-Soviet Union (belarus, Latvia) and middle east. PROPANGANDA, let the sheeps follow the shepard...

Nice try gun freaks
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick
 
IamRAMBO24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,157
IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
Funnily enough I confronted a burglar today. I was at my Grandma's house and I was just leaving and we thought we saw someone on her neighbors property pushing on a window. We didn't think much of it because we assumed he was supposed to be there (the guy was dressed sort of like a tradesman). We kept walking up the drive and then he must of spotted us and tried to hide behind this low wall with some bushes next to it, which actually gave him away. I went up the neighbors driveway and asked him what he was doing and he said *he was getting a drink of water. I just said "uhuh" and stared at him. He just started walking away slowly, once he got to the sidewalk he sped up a bit and turned at the corner. Didn't see him after that.

The point is though that burglary isn't really a violent crime. As I've said before, they want your stuff, they don't want to be bothered with you. Whether you have guns or not they are more likely to enter your home when you aren't there. And if you aren't home, what difference does owning a gun make?

*Edit - actually he said he was getting some water, because when he left we looked for a tap around where he was and there wasn't one.

I don't see what is your point. I don't need to pull out stats to prove a burglar will more likely rob a house without a gun than one with one. A rapist will more likely rape a woman without a gun than one with one. This is why you don't ever hear about cops getting raped or robbed.

Again, the argument rests on a false premise: the assumption that possession in and of itself will lead to more violence, which is completely untrue.

Guns don't kill people, people do. Protection is not a sin. I'm sorry, this premise is full proof. Your premise is horse sh*t.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
I don't need to pull out stats to prove a burglar will more likely rob a house without a gun than one with one.

How would a burglar know if the house has a gun or not? The burglar can only best guess that no one is in the house.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #9
Nanners
Great college starter
 
Nanners's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: OKC
Posts: 3,672
Nanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableNanners is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

this thread makes my head hurt
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
vinsane01
National High School Star
 
vinsane01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: me live out here
Posts: 2,152
vinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this boardvinsane01 is popular on this board
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Is the classification of violent crime similar in all countries? because it may or (may not) destroy the whole argument. Also, im interested to see the official number of violent crimes in the UK or australia before and after the gun ban. Quick googling says they are going up..
vinsane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #11
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsane01
Is the classification of violent crime similar in all countries? because it may or (may not) destroy the whole argument. Also, im interested to see the official number of violent crimes in the UK or australia before and after the gun ban. Quick googling says they are going up..

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1...ross-Australia
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #12
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick
 
IamRAMBO24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,157
IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
How would a burglar know if the house has a gun or not? The burglar can only best guess that no one is in the house.

Most burglars aren't stupid; they don't randomly walk down the street and say, "Hey let's rob that house with the lowest lit lighting." Most burglaries are from neighbors, friends, or family members that have inside knowledge of the house they are going to burglarize. Violent burglars who use force will more likely rob a house with the intel that the home owner does not have a gun for fear of retribution. If they know the house does not have a gun, they can just force their way into the house with their illegal arms and hold the owners captive while they rape their children and steal their property, which is actually a huge problem California (one of the strictest states with gun laws) is experiencing by asian gang members.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #13
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick
 
IamRAMBO24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,157
IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
MORE VIOLENT CRIMES DESPITE GUN BANS

*Posted to refute that the gun ban had any effect in the low violent crimes; for example, if the overall crime rate rose 42% after the gun ban and then increased to over 43% and then back to 43% in 2012, then how the f*ck does that mean the gun ban has any impact in deterring crimes overall in Australia when the rate increased by 42% after the ban took effect.

Nice way of picking and choosing your stats without looking at the overall picture dumbsh*t.

Last edited by IamRAMBO24 : 01-16-2013 at 02:37 AM.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #14
daily
I rattle in 5-footers
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,276
daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Most burglars aren't stupid
Yes they are. That's why they're burglars and not law abiding citzens
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #15
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,299
iamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Reality Check on Gun Control

I thought the issue is banning rifles. Not all guns.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy