Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Anaximandro1
High School Varsity 6th Man

Anaximandro1 has an OK reputation so far
Default Robinson: 2012 Team USA Can Beat the Dream Team;Davis in Duncan's neighborhood

Do you agree?

Quote:
Q. Kobe Bryant said that this yearís United States Olympic menís team could beat the Dream Team. Do you agree?

A. I give Kobe a lot of credit for standing up for his team. I think this team has some great players and some unstoppable scorers. They could beat us on any given day. But on the whole, I think thereís still some things they have to prove to themselves and everybody else.

Q. Anthony Davis is the only college player to make the 2012 Olympic squad. What do you think about his talent and future in the N.B.A.?

A.With his skill set, heís going to be very effective. The question is, Is he going to be a 25-and-10-a-night guy? I donít think heís going to be that right away. But he has the potential to do that. Heís very athletic. It will depend on the makeup of the team, if they need him to score. Heís definitely a top-tier player and worthy of the No. 1 pick. Maybe not quite a Tim Duncan-type player but certainly in that neighborhood.

Q.What player do you enjoy watching?

A.You have to appreciate what LeBron [James] did in the playoffs. He was a monster. And also [Kevin] Durant. I watched him the series against us. And he hit shot after shot after shot. He was amazing. I love the way he plays. I was disappointed that Derrick Rose didnít get a chance to do what he does in the playoffs. Heís one of the more fun guys to watch.

Q. What happened to the Spurs, who looked so strong during the season but were eliminated by Oklahoma City in the Western Conference finals?

A.They got as far as they did because they had great balance. The bench was giving them good solid minutes and points up to that point in the season. But for some reason, things started to fall apart against the Thunder. The first two games Oklahoma City was playing like last yearís Thunder, not moving the ball and playing hectic. But by the end of the series, we were the ones playing hectic and not moving the ball. The Thunder were the ones making the five good passes and attacking the rim. The teams switched identities.

Q.What are you most proud of in your career?

A.Iím most proud of being able to build something in San Antonio, from a 21-61 team to go to a team that won four championships and build such a culture. Thatís something to feel good about. I feel that I can go back into that locker room and see that it has probably the best atmosphere of any locker room in the league. And thatís not easy to do. I take a lot of pride in that. Management went out of their way to bring in great guys. Tim [Duncan] fit that mold. All the guys, Manu [Ginobili], Steve Kerr, Danny Ferry, were perfect guys for the chemistry of the team.

More

LINK
Anaximandro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Punpun has not been impressing people
Default Re: Robinson: 2012 Team USA Can Beat the Dream Team;Davis in Duncan's neighborhood

Look. Let's be honest. Most NBA players make poor scouts. Or poor coach. That's not the same thing. Not the same skillset needed either.

And that's why most Hearsay are bs.
Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
ImmortalD24
Banned

ImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Robinson: 2012 Team USA Can Beat the Dream Team;Davis in Duncan's neighborhood

Pippen is such a joke. "We'd beat them by 25".. this guy is so delusional. Gotta give D-Rob props for seeing through all the hype from the initial dream team.

It would be close, no question about it.
ImmortalD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
FreezingTsmoove
#H3AT nation,GangGreen

FreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryFreezingTsmoove posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalD24
Pippen is such a joke. "We'd beat them by 25".. this guy is so delusional. Gotta give D-Rob props for seeing through all the hype from the initial dream team.

It would be close, no question about it.

Why would anyone take Pippens quotes seriously? This is the same guy that dubbed Lebron the GOAT of basketball talents a couple days before the 11 finals
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

admiral was being gracious

if you read his answer, he's saying that they could catch dream team sleeping one day and beat them but not a better team

you can either admire the fact that he's not hyper competitive...or you can point to that as the reason why he wasn't ever going to win a ring as the lead guy
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
Finger Roll
I believe in Masai

Finger Roll has an OK reputation so far

Gotta love the admiral
Finger Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

He's being a bit generous. Sure the 2012 team could win a game or two in a 7 game series but that's it. As for comparing Davis to Duncan he's overhyping the guy so bad. Davis is going to be a better version of Camby/Chandler in his prime probably. I don't see him as a 20 ppg scorer.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
BoutPractice
I'll pass

BoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputationBoutPractice has a terrific reputation

People have been saying that about Davis for so long that I'm really rooting for him to surprise everyone and be a career 20+ppg scorer. It's certainly not outside the realm of possibility with his physical profile and skills.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
Noof
Local High School Star

Noof is considered somewhat coolNoof is considered somewhat cool

Threads about Robinson quotes scare me now after yesterday's debacle.
Noof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
Owl
Local High School Star

Owl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this boardOwl is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by get these NETS
admiral was being gracious

if you read his answer, he's saying that they could catch dream team sleeping one day and beat them but not a better team

you can either admire the fact that he's not hyper competitive...or you can point to that as the reason why he wasn't ever going to win a ring as the lead guy
You could but you'd be wrong. Who was his best teammate in all that time? A post-peak aging and soon injured Terry Cummings? Dennis Rodman who hurt the team so much they gave him away for Will Perdue? Sean Elliott (he of the 13.9 career PER)?

I'm not sure there's a single MVP you could say "wasn't ever going to win a ring as the lead guy". Iverson and Unseld would need the right team to fit their styles.

This sort of it couldn't happen because it didn't and so player x is definitely a loser nonsense needs to stop. If San Antonio had scored one more basket in the opening game of the series (assuming all other games go as they did) then the series would have been 3 all with San Antonio playing game 7 on their homecourt. Is that impossible? Something that "wasn't ever going to happen"?

In any case D-Rob was Duncan's equal on the first title team, post injuries he couldn't play as many minutes as he used to but was more productive per minute than Duncan and was the team's defensive anchor.
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl
You could but you'd be wrong. Who was his best teammate in all that time? A post-peak aging and soon injured Terry Cummings? Dennis Rodman who hurt the team so much they gave him away for Will Perdue? Sean Elliott (he of the 13.9 career PER)?

I'm not sure there's a single MVP you could say "wasn't ever going to win a ring as the lead guy". Iverson and Unseld would need the right team to fit their styles.

This sort of it couldn't happen because it didn't and so player x is definitely a loser nonsense needs to stop. If San Antonio had scored one more basket in the opening game of the series (assuming all other games go as they did) then the series would have been 3 all with San Antonio playing game 7 on their homecourt. Is that impossible? Something that "wasn't ever going to happen"?

In any case D-Rob was Duncan's equal on the first title team, post injuries he couldn't play as many minutes as he used to but was more productive per minute than Duncan and was the team's defensive anchor.

You didn't read me write that "admiral is a loser"...
I said that for all his physical tools, and he's THE most athletic center and one of the 10 most athletic nba players ever, drob lacked the super competitive nature that is found in almost ALL great players.

You could either read his quotes as being indicative of this lack of competitiveness OR you can see it as graciousness by an ex athlete who has moved on.

Admiral was an impossible cover...strong, guard-quick, agile, ..and he played on some balanced teams before the Duncan era started.

I'd have to look up the records..but I wanna say that for at least half his pre-duncan era...Spurs finished in top half of western conference playoff teams (1-4) ..and one team was lead by point guard Rod Strickland and coached by larry brown....that could have made more noise.....i also want to guess that spurs made at least one WCF before Duncan

Admiral just never exhibited the "extra something" that the great players have...call it selfishness, fire, spirit..whatever...he never did

as far as duncan's equal.....in regular season..d-rob at his peak plays about as well as anybody...but Duncan is the reason they won those rings....he didn't shrink in big moments..in playoffs
Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by get these NETS
You didn't read me write that "admiral is a loser"...
I said that for all his physical tools, and he's THE most athletic center and one of the 10 most athletic nba players ever, drob lacked the super competitive nature that is found in almost ALL great players.

You could either read his quotes as being indicative of this lack of competitiveness OR you can see it as graciousness by an ex athlete who has moved on.

Admiral was an impossible cover...strong, guard-quick, agile, ..and he played on some balanced teams before the Duncan era started.

I'd have to look up the records..but I wanna say that for at least half his pre-duncan era...Spurs finished in top half of western conference playoff teams (1-4) ..and one team was lead by point guard Rod Strickland and coached by larry brown....that could have made more noise.....i also want to guess that spurs made at least one WCF before Duncan

Admiral just never exhibited the "extra something" that the great players have...call it selfishness, fire, spirit..whatever...he never did

as far as duncan's equal.....in regular season..d-rob at his peak plays about as well as anybody...but Duncan is the reason they won those rings....he didn't shrink in big moments..in playoffs
I don't think it was necessarily a matter of David Robinson shrinking in the playoffs because he lacked "it". As Owl mentioned, I think it had a lot more to do with the fact that if an opposing team wanted to focus all of their energy on stopping Robinson, victory was often going to rely upon how well his supporting cast played. And when that supporting cast is made up of Avery Johnson, Vinny Del Negro, Dennis Rodman, and Sean Elliott your team likely isn't going to keep defenses very honest.

Had Tim Duncan been running alongside Robinson during the 1995 playoffs, I'll venture to say it would have been a little bit easier for TD or Robinson to experience success, because one of those guys probably would have ended up matching up with Chucky Brown.

All that aside, I think Robinson's lack of "it" is wildly overstated. Using '95 once again as an example, Robinson's opponent in the Western Conference Finals went big, really big. Hakeem Olajuwon dominated. He played excellent basketball and I don't think it was a matter of Robinson being horrible. It was just a matter of Hakeem being great (averaging 35 and 13 for the series). Robinson still played his heart out, averaging 24 and 11, but it obviously paled in comparison.

Still, folks often point the finger and say losses like the one San Antonio took in '95 were because Robinson was too nice, as if he didn't average 30, 16, and 4 in a tough six game series against the Lakers the series before. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Also, regarding the Strickland/Brown years, they lost in Game 7 of the Western Conference Semi-finals during Robinson's rookie year (in overtime, to eventual NBA Finalists Portland Trail Blazers). San Antonio was in control but it was Rod Strickland who had an ill-advised turnover and subsequent clear path foul that seemed to cost the Spurs the series (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...layoff-hopes/).

And I think that's what Owl was referring to when he said it's not always a matter of certain players not having "it", as if Robinson's lack of "it" is what cost San Antonio that series. Instead, sometimes it's just a matter of things not going one way and instead heading the other. Had Strickland not attempted a behind the back pass in overtime of game 7 of the Western Conference Finals, what may have happened? Perhaps San Antonio emerges victorious? Perhaps they take out Phoenix in the WCF and have an opportunity to see the Bad Boys in the Finals? Of course, we'll never know.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
get these NETS
you can't stop me

I hear you but I still don't think robinson had the competitive spirit of a GREAT player. it's what kept him from truly dominating the NBA(after the regular season)...and Olajuwon broke his confidence after demolishing him and he never recovered.

just seems like a mentally fragile guy....which goes against his military background, and his physical presence

literally, each time lakers got the best of the spurs on his watch he shrank against shaq though he was probably as strong....much quicker and had more polished skills and footwork
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
christian1923
Y'all ni**** trippin

christian1923 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
He's being a bit generous. Sure the 2012 team could win a game or two in a 7 game series but that's it. As for comparing Davis to Duncan he's overhyping the guy so bad. Davis is going to be a better version of Camby/Chandler in his prime probably. I don't see him as a 20 ppg scorer.
Why not? He has mad skills. Great hands, Nice release on his shot, athletic, finishes at the rim. He has shown that he can make jumpers and hook shots. He can even dribble. Plus his defense is amazing, super disrespectful to compare him to chandler and camby. Try KG
christian1923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: