Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Ever been in an altercation/argument/fight during pick up game?

Of course u have. It happens all the time. But did things escalate or have u seen these types of incidents?

It happens all the time. ANything can tick u or someone off.

I'm a calm and nice guy and the only thing that really pisses me off is hard fouls.
    Or guys being too physical and crossing the line.

Another thing I don't really like is when guys try to make u out to be a ***** when u call a foul.

My last incident was a few weeks ago when a guy kept on being physical with me and hitting me even when I'm passing the ball and then he would go over my back during rebounds and stuff like that so I got mad when I grabbed a defensive rebound and he jumped on my back again so i cleared space by using my free hand and shoving him with a open hand stiff arm to his face and he got all mad and yelled at me and it seemed like he wanted to start a fight. His brother controlled him and calmed him down and I told him enough was enough.

He calmed down and my team was down 13-12 and we came back and won 17-15 and I had a great steal and some assists to help the comeback.

Default Re: Ever been in an altercation/argument/fight during pick up game?

Basketball is not hockey. U can't really drop gloves and go 1 on 1 and fight with fists and settle your differences like that.

I believe one good hard foul deserves another one. I been hit in the balls and i retaliated with a hard but clean foul to the chest and the guy went ballistic at me lol. I don't get that> I'll take a trade off of chest to ur groin/balls anyday.

That's why calling fouls is important because if u let it slide, they will foul harder and more often and think u won't do a damn thing about it

Learning to shoot layups

I've seen many people get into actual fights and its sad and pathetic at the same time. If i see it personally ill try to mediate and diffuse, but only so much you can do when grown men ready to fight. But i do understand if some1 bout to pound you, you have to defend yourself.

But I believe something is wrong with any1 that gets so mad to start a fight over a pick-up game. Especially when there just trying to make a basketball play, and there is no intention behind it. I understand ego's be on the line, but its pick-up it's REALLY not that serious.

Quote Originally Posted by C_lake2802
    I've seen many people get into actual fights and its sad and pathetic at the same time. If i see it personally ill try to mediate and diffuse, but only so much you can do when grown men ready to fight. But i do understand if some1 bout to pound you, you have to defend yourself.

But I believe something is wrong with any1 that gets so mad to start a fight over a pick-up game. Especially when there just trying to make a basketball play, and there is no intention behind it. I understand ego's be on the line, but its pick-up it's REALLY not that serious.
    One of the employees at the gym said there is "too much testosterone" and blamed testosterone for the fights and arguments.

U said u understand egos are on the line. Well to men, ego is a big thing as u know and so is pride. So basically that's why.

I don't really care if i win or lose nowadays as much, I like to beat the teams in pick up games where I don't like a guy that much though. But at the end of the day, it's just a game.

I learned at an early age that "eye for an eye" is bad policy when playing pick-up.

Swallow your pride and just move on. People are petrified of being shown up in pick-up basketball and they will do whatever it takes to avoid it, including start a fight.

I've seen someone's car get keyed over nothing. Just walk away. You'll thank me later.

The only way to get back at them is to just play better. That's the only way you can show them up without escalating the situation. Get your revenge by fueling your speed or stroke and beating your man.

I've had some major fall outs because of bball. I don't even play bball for real anymore. The truth is, if you haven't fought someone in bball you haven't really dominated them. Obviously it shouldn't be fists but you know some shoving... maybe an elbow or face stomp (just saying lol)

I am pretty much immune to pain, though, and I love contact even though I'm tiny. I love going inside and banging w/ people.

But yeah nowadays I just let people win or play soft because nobody is really ready to get housed in the post without getting all butt hurt or trying to fight you.

I will say this, I've never seen a teammate get into it. IT'S ALWAYS ME. Dunno why. I have watched plenty of bball fights in TV, like that georgetown shit... and I just know that's the only way I'd throw punches is if someone was trying to attack one of my teammates. Otherwise, I don't need to do anything non-basketball. I can cause people pain with basketball plays if I need to...

The one basketball play that made me want to fight was the hip check. I'm sorry but that is some dirty shit... people are mad cuz they can't guard you... old ass men... and it's like BAW. Makes you wanna fight someone, but the feeling at the end of the game when you won despite it makes up for it.

-Smak

Only once. I was playing outside at a park 5 on 5 running full court and this guy had an attitude. He was on edge the whole time and whenever he made a mistake or somebody got the better of him he got all frustrated. Anyway we were both going up for a rebound and I tipped the ball from behind him (not even going over the back) and I got the ball and scored or something. After that he looked and me and told him that I hit him in the head. I did not even feel anything I'm still convinced to this day that I didn't even touch him but if I did it was so slight... then he pushed me a couple times. After he pushed me the second time I just snapped and hit him in the face with a like a jab punch (wasn't a haymaker or nothing lol) and then honestly swung him around like a rag doll, threw him on the ground, and was about to just leveling him but the other guys there pulled me off. He's lucky he had acquaintances there to that pulled me off cus I don't think any of my friends would have lol. There is no way he saw that coming lol. He got what he deserved though.

What makes it so much worse is that he called the cops and actually was going to press charges against me. I told the cops what happened and they were totally on my side and said a push is the same as punch in the eyes of the law and since he pushed me first he started the fight and i was defending myself. I guess it's a good thing they pulled me off cus I might have hit him a few times on the ground and really hurt him and maybe the cops would have considered it excessive I don't know. Butt anyway his attempt to get me in trouble amounted to nothing... he was just angry rich kid or something who knows. I'm not trying to make myself look like such a badass either but back then I was very strong and that particular guy would have gotten a bigtime ass whoopin lol. As it was, he was just humbled lol.

Other than that no. Unless somebody physically touches me like that guy did I am not going to get in a fight with somebody. I have no interest in that sort of thing.

No. Usually when some one tries to pick a fight with me it's some punk ass 18 year old that getting embarrassed by me and trying to act tough in front of his friends.

Hell no.

all the time unfortunately lol. i don't know why it happens so often. i'm a really level headed guy and i don't get heated at all when i play. it's mostly because i'm about 6 ft tall which is tall-ish for random pickup games so i always play in the post even though i'm a slasher/shooter. i'm always guarding a big who thinks he can post me up easily because i'm not a huge guy (about 175 so i have a decent frame) but i know how to defend and prevent someone from backing me down. so they'll push and shove and i'll push back. to me it's just playing defense and them pushing for position is just basketball, but then egos get involved and they get all mad because i'm playing defense. i'm not like elbowing them or anything, it's just solid defense.

so then when i'm all offense they'll play me really close when i post up and just push me like crazy. then yeah, things just escalate from there. i've only actually fought a guy one time in basketball though, which is when i went for a breakaway lay-up and the dude shoved me from behind on purpose when i was in the air right into the ****ing pole. landed right on my nose and was bleeding and i went ape shit on the dude lol, didn't help that i had bad blood with him to begin with. people split us up but i got a clean hit to the face before i got pulled off of him.

i dunno man, people just get really mad when you play defense

Quote Originally Posted by Quizno
    all the time unfortunately lol. i don't know why it happens so often. i'm a really level headed guy and i don't get heated at all when i play. it's mostly because i'm about 6 ft tall which is tall-ish for random pickup games so i always play in the post even though i'm a slasher/shooter. i'm always guarding a big who thinks he can post me up easily because i'm not a huge guy (about 175 so i have a decent frame) but i know how to defend and prevent someone from backing me down. so they'll push and shove and i'll push back. to me it's just playing defense and them pushing for position is just basketball, but then egos get involved and they get all mad because i'm playing defense. i'm not like elbowing them or anything, it's just solid defense.

so then when i'm all offense they'll play me really close when i post up and just push me like crazy. then yeah, things just escalate from there. i've only actually fought a guy one time in basketball though, which is when i went for a breakaway lay-up and the dude shoved me from behind on purpose when i was in the air right into the ****ing pole. landed right on my nose and was bleeding and i went ape shit on the dude lol, didn't help that i had bad blood with him to begin with. people split us up but i got a clean hit to the face before i got pulled off of him.

i dunno man, people just get really mad when you play defense
    6ft 175? Why play the paint when you can use your size to your advantage (quickness and speed) by playing the guard positions. Leave the post for the 6'5+ 220+ guys lol!

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFTW
    6ft 175? Why play the paint when you can use your size to your advantage (quickness and speed) by playing the guard positions. Leave the post for the 6'5+ 220+ guys lol!
    can't find many 6'5 220+ guys playing pickup ball haha

Quote Originally Posted by Quizno
    can't find many 6'5 220+ guys playing pickup ball haha
    Well that depends. How old are the players that you play with?

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFTW
    Maybe he doesn't have speed and quickness... not all guys that are NBA guard size do automatically do lol I know I sure don't and I'm 5'11.

NBA Superstar

I have been in an endless stream of altercations and arguments during pickup games. It's more or less a right of passage for anyone who plays with regularity. As some other posters have said, arguments tend to find you whether you're an even-keeled guy, a hot head, or anything in between.

If I had to guess, I think the highest percentage of my altercations have come from being fouled in an unsportsmanlike manner on more than one occasion in a given day. Regardless of where one plays, there always seems to be a guy out there whose solution to stopping an effective offensive play on blacktop is to shove, undercut, or clothes line. I brush most of that off (as I've often felt a response is what the defender is looking for in the first place) but sometimes it seems as if saying nothing only encourages more of the same behavior. At that point, I feel I must step up and say something, and often it becomes an argument.

I've also had a lot of dumb arguments over the years too, in response to poor foul calls, players who did or did not step out of bounds, whether the top of the backboard is inbounds, whether I could jump to catch an alley-oop then come down with it, etc. Again, those are just going to happen by default. Even when playing with the mindset of "just worry about the game, let the dumb calls roll off your back", opportunities still arise where it seems necessary for me to speak up and clarify situations (again, a good example would be my opponent attempting to call a travel on me for coming down to the floor after jumping to catch an alley-oop). Unfortunately, it all seems to be a part of the game.

With all that said, I've never been in a fist fight on the basketball court. A lot of malicious pushes and threats, but it seems my opponents (and myself) never truly want to take it to the next level, regardless of how pissed and physical we are with one another. I take comfort in that. It tells me that even when we're all going crazy at one another, we still seem to be able to control ourselves. Usually, after a particularly heated altercation, I'll make a point to high five the guy after the game and apologize if I was in the wrong (which I frequently am). Even if I was in the right, I'll still apologize for making a big deal of things and I'll re-assure him that I don't take anything beyond the court.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 07-31-2012 at 02:44 PM.