Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Maggette traded for Ben Gordon, 2013 pick

Bobcats just traded the expiring contract of Corey Maggette for Ben Gordon and Detroit's protected 2013 first round pick.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/80...ons-ben-gordon

Thoughts? Ben Gordon makes 14 million dollars over the 13-14 season, so it gives us a lot less flexibility for next seasons free agency. I think it's pretty safe to assume that won't really matter though.

What's more important is that while I'm not unhappy to see Maggette go, Ben Gordon has had a terrible time in Detroit over the past two seasons and might already be strongly on the decline at 28 years old. We'll have to wait and see whether he can contribute.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

acidbasesalt has decent reputationacidbasesalt has decent reputation
Default Re: Maggette traded for Ben Gordon, 2013 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Bobcats just traded the expiring contract of Corey Maggette for Ben Gordon and Detroit's protected 2013 first round pick.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/80...ons-ben-gordon

Thoughts? Ben Gordon makes 14 million dollars over the 13-14 season, so it gives us a lot less flexibility for next seasons free agency. I think it's pretty safe to assume that won't really matter though.

What's more important is that while I'm not unhappy to see Maggette go, Ben Gordon has had a terrible time in Detroit over the past two seasons and might already be strongly on the decline at 28 years old. We'll have to wait and see whether he can contribute.

I would say we made a good deal. Maggette is not someone you want building a rotation as he can miss a lot of playing time due to injuries. While "Ben" Gordon appears to be on a decline, his scoring punch off the bench is very valuable. While paying 14 million to a bench guy seems ridiculous, anything can happen in 2 years, including Gordon retiring, him amnestied, or packaged for another player/pick.

Now what do we do with the cap space and the 2nd overall pick?
I really prefer Portland's 6th and 11th but it is a bit of a stretch.
Cleveland's 4th and 24th are perhaps no longer available since they realize us not picking Beal with 2nd overall, which is kind of dumb anyway. Washington appears to be picking either a big man or Kidd-Gilchrist, so it doesn't seem to be a threat to Cleveland.

Anyway, if no trade regarding the 2nd pick happens, I personally would go with either Kidd-Gilchrist or Thomas Robinson. I look at picks this way. Instead of going for the best possible potential, look for the player with least defects/weaknesses. We don't need someone with an attitude and anger issues such as DeMarcus Cousins.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I like this trade. I always thought Ben Gordon was a pretty good player, and I think the environment in Detroit was what caused his demise. Maybe he'll be energized coming here. I wonder if the 2013 first rounder is extra bait to package in a deal?
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

I could care less about the swap of the players, although Gordon definitely feels a need of outside shooting since we were last in the league in that category last year. Its the pick I care about.

Lottery protected next year, but only top 8 protected in 2014, and then just top 1 protected in 2015, and not protected in 2016.

Could be looking at a nice lottery pick in 2014.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It leaves us without a starting SF so it looks like we might be leaning towards MKG or Barnes if we keep the #2 pick. I could see us letting DJ walk and signing Jamison too.

Walker, Gordon, Higgins (or hopefully his replacement)
Henderson, Gordon, Carroll
MKG, Jamison, Brown
Thomas, Biyombo/Mullens, Najera
Biyombo, Mullens, #24 or 31 pick

edit: I completely left Diop out of the lineup. I guess you could plug him in there somewhere.

Last edited by rufuspaul : 06-27-2012 at 09:13 AM.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Cho said repeatedly over the last day that the trade had nothing to do with who we draft. This was about a) filling Dunlap's want for a 3 pt shooter and most important b) Detroit's pick. Plus I think both Higgins & Cho sincerely like Gordon...mainly for his insane work ethic.

We only added about 2 million to our salary for the next season...so we're looking at around 47-48 million including our pick. We'll easily have around 8 to 10 million before we even hit the cap. With that along with trades we'll worry about need. Tonight is all about BPA.

The year after next including Gordon we'll still have a LOT of space (over 20 million). The trade was an absolute no brainer for us.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
Cho said repeatedly over the last day that the trade had nothing to do with who we draft. This was about a) filling Dunlap's want for a 3 pt shooter and most important b) Detroit's pick. Plus I think both Higgins & Cho sincerely like Gordon...mainly for his insane work ethic.

We only added about 2 million to our salary for the next season...so we're looking at around 47-48 million including our pick. We'll easily have around 8 to 10 million before we even hit the cap. With that along with trades we'll worry about need. Tonight is all about BPA.

The year after next including Gordon we'll still have a LOT of space (over 20 million). The trade was an absolute no brainer for us.

Then it's gotta be either Beal or Robinson.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good trade for the Bobcats imo. They will probably have to play with a small backcourt a lot of the time but Gordon gives them scoring and a better locker room presence than Magette. Dude is a gym rate and I'm sure he could help Kemba along the way of his development. That future 1st rounder is what outs the trade in favor of the Bobcats.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: