Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people
Default Do you agree with this (racism and the brawl)?

Taken from today's ESPN Daily Dime:

Chris, Seattle: and The fact that everyone makes such a big deal about an NBA brawl and not so much about a MLB brawl smacks of racism, I don't care what people say.

Bill Simmons: Couldn't agree more. Everyone involved in this fight was black, so the players are now "out of control" and the whole thing is "a disgrace." But when a white baseball player charges a white pitcher, it's all in good fun. It's a little weird.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

nate robinson should make a great guest on oprah winfrey
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Stumbleweed
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Stumbleweed has an OK reputation so far

Absolutely.
Stumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

"David Stern hates black people."
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Part of it is the NBA rarely getting into a huge brawl, so whenever something like this happens, the media goes crazy.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re

there is definitely media bias in the sports

in basketball, people perceive it to be a thug league. whether that's fair or not.

in football, unless you are TO are draw attention to yourself, people wear helmets and are not readily idenitifiable. the Bengals have had 8 arrests this year, and no one really talks about it. moreover, you have the clean cut American Apple Pie quarterbacks as the main faces of the NFL.

in hockey you have fights frequently, but guess what, it's suppposedly part of the sport.

in baseball.... well... they smoke in the dugout...
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people

Exactly. Hockey, it's so much a part of the game it's not even a big deal when they fight. Baseball, they don't make a big deal out of it.

But let some NBA players fight and it's a "disgrace to all of sports" and blah blah blah.

Anyone who doesn't see the double standard in that it either in denial or an idiot. That simple.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #8
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf

"David Stern hates black people."
Not a david stern thing its the media and the general public. He's trying to make sure they don't fight because he knows how the public reacts to fights in the NBA between the scary black guys who listen to rap.

He made some comments about this issue he even said something along the lines of NBA faces more criticism because their players don't wear long sleeves and a helmet to cover em up lol
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re

i know there was a brawl either this previous season or the one before, involving West Coast teams when the batter charged the mound and the dugouts emptied, but that escapes me right now and it wasn't seriosuly discussed.

however, when Pedro threw an old white man in Don Zimmer to the floor, compounded with the fact its Yankees/Redsox, that set off some fireworks 4 years ago.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 AM   #10
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
joke - noun, verb, joked, jok·ing.
–noun 1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, esp. because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce: Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
:
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:37 AM   #11
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

Never thought about it, but now that you bring it up, it seems that way.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #12
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

racism isn't going anywhere so we should learn to accept it. some people are simply on the wrong side of the eight ball. tough luck.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
ak47smohawk
I brick open layups

ak47smohawk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
Bill Simmons: But when a white baseball player charges a white pitcher, it's all in good fun. It's a little weird.

I can't think of a multi player brawl started by a white player charging a white pitcher. Can anyone think of one? I will admit I do follow baseball as closely as basketball so I may just have missed it.
ak47smohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:53 AM   #14
Locked_Up_Tonight
National High School Star

Locked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
I can't think of a multi player brawl started by a white player charging a white pitcher. Can anyone think of one? I will admit I do follow baseball as closely as basketball so I may just have missed it.

Robin Ventura/Nolan Ryan. But some wouldn't call that a brawl per se.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:58 AM   #15
ak47smohawk
I brick open layups

ak47smohawk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
Robin Ventura/Nolan Ryan. But some wouldn't call that a brawl per se.

Is it just those two or are quite a few others involved? If only two people were involved in DEN/NY, it wouldn't be a big deal either. I will have to wait to try and find it on youtube as youtube is blocked here at work.
ak47smohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: