Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
DRoseOwnsACamry
King of Chicago
 
DRoseOwnsACamry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,249
Default If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

...Around the world?
How come basketball became popular around the world, but (American)football didn't?
DRoseOwnsACamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
BuffaloBill
#HugLife
 
BuffaloBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,658
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

BuffaloBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
DonD13
GYMNAST
 
DonD13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: laboratory
Posts: 9,096
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoseOwnsACamry
...Around the world?
How come basketball became popular around the world, but (American)football didn't?

I think one reason is because you can play basketball pretty easy yourself while you need a lot of equipment, knowledge, people for AF. I think that's the main reason why soccer is so popular all over the world.
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
Nick Young
Prophet of the Mamba
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 13,558
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

No man, it's just a boring game and I grew up with it. Too many commercials and stoppages.

ALSO the main thing is you need so much expensive equipment and organization to play it. Compared to soccer or cricket or basketball. It's hard for a sport to be popular when you need to be extremely wealthy to play it.

It's the same reason baseball isn't that popular all over the world and is dying out in Japan and even America. Too slow paced and boring.

These sports were good in the age of radio because they were easy to commentate over. Now with television available everywhere, even really poor villages able to afford it, people want to see fast paced action.

I like the tactics of football, I understand it because I'm American but compared to sports like basketball and soccer (THE ENGLISH INVENTED THAT WORD, GET OVER IT EUROSNOBS) it is too slow paced and dull. I like watching the playoffs and superbowl, that's it.
Nick Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 8,467
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

It's very boring, I have tried getting into it a few times but I could never make myself watch a full game.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
AngelEyes
Sentenza
 
AngelEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: City of Wind
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Who gives a damn if the rest of the world likes it or not?
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
knickballer
Very good NBA starter
 
knickballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2010 offseason
Posts: 8,143
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
No man, it's just a boring game and I grew up with it. Too many commercials and stoppages.

ALSO the main thing is you need so much expensive equipment and organization to play it. Compared to soccer or cricket or basketball. It's hard for a sport to be popular when you need to be extremely wealthy to play it.

It's the same reason baseball isn't that popular all over the world and is dying out in Japan and even America. Too slow paced and boring.

These sports were good in the age of radio because they were easy to commentate over. Now with television available everywhere, even really poor villages able to afford it, people want to see fast paced action.

I like the tactics of football, I understand it because I'm American but compared to sports like basketball and soccer (THE ENGLISH INVENTED THAT WORD, GET OVER IT EUROSNOBS) it is too slow paced and dull. I like watching the playoffs and superbowl, that's it.

Not really. I played AF my whole life and the only thing I had to purchase was cleats and a cup. Everything else was provided for me from my school..

Also you don't need equipment to play the sport as well. Just grab a football and play tackle or flag or touch football in your random park.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
Nick Young
Prophet of the Mamba
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: swag
Posts: 13,558
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Not really. I played AF my whole life and the only thing I had to purchase was cleats and a cup. Everything else was provided for me from my school..

Also you don't need equipment to play the sport as well. Just grab a football and play tackle or flag or touch football in your random park.
Most schools in Europe, Asia and Africa and south america don't have or can't afford this expensive equipment. Sorry, to play the game properly it is extremely expensive.


I see and know loads of people who to to the park and play touch football, germans, dutch, english etc. But they're never going to become pros. And most people don't want to stay up til 4AM to watch a sport they don't understand. And because pro leagues in Europe were low quality, it didn't catch on at all and went bankrupt.

They all seem to like the idea of cheerleaders though.
Nick Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman
 
B-Easy8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,738
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Its really boring. Plays go for 5-10 seconds at most and then there is a minimum of a 30 second break everytime. The stops are just insane, they spend 3/4 of the time doing nothing.

Also why do they have so much protection? Watch Australian football or rugby, they are just as rough, if not more and they wear nothing.

Another reason is that no one else in the world plays it, whilst almost every country in the world plays basketball.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
AngelEyes
Sentenza
 
AngelEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: City of Wind
Posts: 3,360
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
Its really boring. Plays go for 5-10 seconds at most and then there is a minimum of a 30 second break everytime. The stops are just insane, they spend 3/4 of the time doing nothing.

Also why do they have so much protection? Watch Australian football or rugby, they are just as rough, if not more and they wear nothing.

Another reason is that no one else in the world plays it, whilst almost every country in the world plays basketball.

Educate yourself about the sport before you comment on it. You sound like a moron.
AngelEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,960
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
I think one reason is because you can play basketball pretty easy yourself while you need a lot of equipment, knowledge, people for AF. I think that's the main reason why soccer is so popular all over the world.
^^^

this

football isn't popular around the world because it requires a lot of money...and a huge team

soccer and basketball can be played by children that simply have a ball...soccer can use two buckets as goal markers, in basketball you do need a hoop which does require more money but not nearly as much as football which requires expensive pads...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
BrickingStar
Banned
 
BrickingStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,216
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
Its really boring. Plays go for 5-10 seconds at most and then there is a minimum of a 30 second break everytime. The stops are just insane, they spend 3/4 of the time doing nothing.

Also why do they have so much protection? Watch Australian football or rugby, they are just as rough, if not more and they wear nothing.

Another reason is that no one else in the world plays it, whilst almost every country in the world plays basketball.
I think you need to research the rules in tackling between those 3 sports to find that answer.
BrickingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
chosen_one6
Earned not given
 
chosen_one6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,939
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

On average, American football has only 11 minutes of action in 3 hours.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,960
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickingStar
I think you need to research the rules in tackling between those 3 sports to find that answer.
or just watch

clearly he hasn't watched much American Football...



Watch this video to understand why pads are needed
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH
 
-p.tiddy-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -dallas, texas-
Posts: 14,960
Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6
On average, football has only 11 minutes of action in 3 hours.
where the fck did you get that?...a quarter is 15 minutes, clock stops during most breaks
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy