Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default How would you rate Steve Kerr's job so far?

I loved Steve Kerr as a player... he wasn't great or anything but he could always knock down those 3's.

Anyways, as a GM, what do you think of him (especially Suns fans)? IMO, he's done a terrible job so far beginning with trading Shawn Marion for Shaq last season and then letting Mike D'Antoni go. I know the Suns "needed" a big guy to compete out west but I still say that Amare, Marion & Nash > Shaq, Amare & Nash. I'd rather see Steve Kerr return to TNT and someone come in and make the Suns fun to watch again. Even Garnett, Marion & Nash would have been better than trading Marion for Shaq.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Gevz2kX
Logician

Gevz2kX has decent reputation
Default Re: How would you rate Steve Kerr's job so far?

pretty bad.
Gevz2kX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #3
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

He made one of the worst trades in recent history. Drove away a great coach, and hired a complete rookies to guide his aging team. He would be hard pressed to have done much worse a job.

The only positive move I can think off, that he made, is drafting Robin Lopez.

So no...he's a terrible GM.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
WonkeyDonkey
live n die by the 3's.

WonkeyDonkey has an OK reputation so far

is kerr the guy who decides to pay diaw 9m?
WonkeyDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Between Kerr, MJ and Paxson I would say that hiring a dynasty-Bulls era player as GM is not the wisest thing to do.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
OneMoreSucka
NBA Legend

OneMoreSucka has an OK reputation so far

When Phoenix actually plays defense like Kerr had assumed they would, they win and they win big....but they don't even come close to doing it on a nightly basis and their offense is straight AWFUL, ie: walk up court, give ball to shaq, run around like chickens with their heads cut off.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

It just sucks watching them now when just a couple seasons ago they were so close to winning a championship. I don't care what the "experts" say I think Amare, Marion and Nash would have/could have won a championship. Look at them back in 2006/2007 it was so close against Phoenix and that was the season that Amare came back. If they had another season or two to play together I still think they'd be one of the best teams out west.
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
3stat2
Local High School Star

3stat2 is considered somewhat cool3stat2 is considered somewhat cool

So far the results have been sub par, and not only that - we're no longer amazing to watch for your everyday casual sports fan. I thought we could sacrifice some style for substance, but instead we've lost both.

Though it may just be a coincidence that Kerr was hired around the same time that Sarver went into kamikaze mode. When your owner demands that you cut costs it's hard to do anything that will look good to the fans. In the end, it's Sarver that should be punched in the face, not Kerr.

If the early 07-08 Suns (Nash/Bell/Hill/Marion/Amare/Barbosa/Diaw/Giricek) also had Kurt Thomas' smarts and post defense, plus James Jones' shooting - they would've had an excellent chance at the championship. Post defense, shooting, inside scoring, everything. The 06-07 Suns team was actually pretty good in terms of defensive efficiency, thanks to Marion/Kurt Thomas/Raja/Jones - good enough to get it done, I'd say. Guess why the Shaq trade was done - to get some post defense, which wouldn't have been needed in the first place if Kurt Thomas didn't get traded, with draft picks, for cash!

Anyway, this horse has long been beaten dead. It will probably be a lesson to future GMs that you don't just blow up something that gave you 60+ wins per season and arguably got you within two (morally unfair) suspensions of a championship.
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
Alonzo Magic
Mourning Glory

Alonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzo Magic has a near all-star reputation here

I miss him on TNT Thursday
Alonzo Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

I would rate it as not good so far (not bad either). He gambled big time on the deal in February to get Shaquille O'Neal, but other than that, he hasn't done a bad job. His pickup of Matt Barnes in the offseason was a great move. But the Shaq-Marion trade was huge, and has the greatest impact too. If the Suns still had Marion, they would be a little better than they currently are. I never thought they should have strayed from the fast-paced, full court D'Antoni style. But at the same time, they've had a very very rough schedule so far, playing against the Lakers, New Orleans, Utah, San Antonio, Houston, Detroit, etc.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: