Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Mike Greenberg says Lakers should rest Lebron and AD tomorrow and tank vs Pelican

It's basic strategy to avoid opponents that aren't good matchups or too strong for you.

However, in this case, they really shouldn't do that because their playoff are at stake. The risk/reward is not worth it.

Default Re: Mike Greenberg says Lakers should rest Lebron and AD tomorrow and tank vs Pelican

Sounds Ike a recipe to become a meme imo. They've gotta beat Denver one way or another to get to the finals don't they?

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by sdot_thadon View Post
    Sounds Ike a recipe to become a meme imo. They've gotta beat Denver one way or another to get to the finals don't they?
    Not necessarily. They would be in the other bracket. Denver would have to win two series against good teams before facing the Lakers. They might simply lose; or they might get struck by injuries; or there could be suspensions that kill their chances. Stranger things have happened in the NBA.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying the Lakers should try to duck the Nuggets. But doing so might get them to the finals without having to play Denver.

Only good reason to rest them is if they aren't good to go. And I'd still try to win it. Not ducking nobody good matchups or not.

Of all dumb American hot take show hot takes, this one is up there with the all time worst.

That's a really dumb thing to do. Imagine you sell tonight and then Kings/Warriors just happen to get nuclear from 3. Lakers don't have the players to stop them there and go out entirely.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Negative.

Denver could potentially lose in the 2nd round.

Not surprising that this loser mentality is coming from Greenberg. I remember listening to him when he was an intern in Chicago with Dan Jiggets and Mike North on the Score back in 1992-93 range and was the same loser back then as he is now. Is there no one that wants to compete anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    Not surprising that this loser mentality is coming from Greenberg. I remember listening to him when he was an intern in Chicago with Dan Jiggets and Mike North on the Score back in 1992-93 range and was the same loser back then as he is now. Is there no one that wants to compete anymore?
    Exactly. No one likes to compete. But looking at the replies from certain individuals not shocking at all. And Mike is a weenie

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Negative.

Denver could potentially lose in the 2nd round.
    I'd take my chances vs the champs vs the Warrirors or Kings getting a hot game and hitting 75 3s to take their place in the playoffs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

I'd take my chances vs the champs vs the Warrirors or Kings getting a hot game and hitting 75 3s to take their place in the playoffs.
    Lebron and AD when healthy and playing have generally owned the warriors. They knocked them out of the last play in tournament they faced each other in and knocked them out of the playoffs last year with a RIDICULOUS FTA disparity. 160 to 80.

The refs can curb momentum by giving AD, Lebron, and Reaves a million FTs and the warriors have a serious problem with the Lakers size and AD flopping all over. Reaves alone shot more free throws than Curry and Klay which is crazy. Shit... shroeder shot more free throws than Curry and Klay too.

You fellas aren't thinking long term. The 7 seed is a death sentence gauntlet right now. While the 8 seed has a pretty path. In the long term if you're looking to win a ring as an underdog it's worth risking 1 game for a whole slate of easier playoff matchups. It's actually a ****ing no brainer. And yall know I specialize in that so I'm being for real with you big Zestys.

Lebron and AD when healthy and playing have generally owned the warriors. They knocked them out of the last play in tournament they faced each other in and knocked them out of the playoffs last year with a RIDICULOUS FTA disparity. 160 to 80.

The refs can curb momentum by giving AD, Lebron, and Reaves a million FTs and the warriors have a serious problem with the Lakers size and AD flopping all over. Reaves alone shot more free throws than Curry and Klay which is crazy. Shit... shroeder shot more free throws than Curry and Klay too.

You fellas aren't thinking long term. The 7 seed is a death sentence gauntlet right now. While the 8 seed has a pretty path. In the long term if you're looking to win a ring as an underdog it's worth risking 1 game for a whole slate of easier playoff matchups. It's actually a ****ing no brainer. And yall know I specialize in that so I'm being for real with you big Zestys.
    There's nothing no brainer to lose a game and go against a team (either one) that when they get hot, they beat you down. Lakers beating the Warriors in a game where they won by 1-2 possessions is not an example of "how it makes sense". If Warriors or Kings get hot from 3, there is nothing Silver and the zebras can do to stop them. Especially since the Lakers have trash perimeter defense outside of one player.

Lakers aren't good enough to win a championship this season and you can argue that it's better to play Nuggets early before they get in the groove like the WCF presuming both make it. This is an idiotic risk.

who the hell is mike greenberg?

its one thing for fans to entertain this ridiculous scenario where the lakers would throw a play in game to manipulate the seeding. But's an entirely different thing for so called analysts to contemplate the same thing. goes to show how basketball discourse continues to plummet.

Local High School Star Shaquille O'Neal's Avatar

Didn't we tell yall this would happen?

People saying "OMG they can't tank a play in game! What if they lose the next one!"

News flash. If they win tomorrow they get bounced in the 1st round anyway.

And if they lose tomorrow they have a setup where they can potentially avoid Denver entirely for the long haul.

A lot of you guys are near sighted and need to have your prescription checked.
    This does sound familiar, yes.

The Lakers would host the second play-in game if the lost, correct?