Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default What will be the next great video game console?

What will come next in video game consoles?

PS5 is widely considered the best one right now right?

Is Xbox clearly in second place

What does the future hold

Default Re: What will be the next great video game console?

While new-generation consoles can run latest titles with impressive refinement nowadays, they are still no match for PCs in terms of overall flexibility.

What puts the PS5 "clearly" ahead of the Xbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    What puts the PS5 "clearly" ahead of the Xbox?
    Both are very close and Xbox has better backwards compatibility, but PS5 has slightly better gameplay-focused features and better exclusives

I think they right that console is ded. Still finally got that ps5 tho, barely use it, but like I said to myself was gonna grab it when I saw it on the shelf.

Mobile is def the console from here on out cuz devices. Rip gaming.

-Smak

Maybe slightly hot take, but none of these consoles are 'great' ( meaning PS5 and Xbox). Sony has turned their brand into the 'mega third person blockbuster experience' so they're producing alot of similar games with different characters and settings. Playstation used to be home to a ton of experimental, smaller, more niche experiences and they've largely walked away from that because they aren't home run swingers. Modern Sony isn't producing shit like Shadow of the Colossus, Gravity Rush, Parappa the Rapper, Tearaway, and other smaller Japanese studio titles that diversified their portfolio. It's Last of Us, Horizon, Spider-man, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, and Uncharted, all triple AAA third party adventures they can flip into movie properties.

XBox in terms of relevance in the console market peaked with 360. They captured the gaming zeitgeist at the time with dude bro shooters COD, Halo, Gears, catering to the racing crowd with Forza, and giving you the best online experience with party chat, online multiplayer, and store. They're the grandfather of the current online console experience in terms of feature set and standard, but over the past decade their pivot to Gamepass and studio acquisition has hampered their first party output. I have a Series X that I found cheap online and use it mostly as a media center ( I always liked the Xbox OS interface), the occasional 4k UHD and movies off my HDD, and playing older games from their back library.

I haven't been that interested in grabbing a PS5 because alot of their games have been coming to PC a year or two later, but my gaming PC has been having issues and I can't bothered trying to fix it up, it's aging anyways, so I'll probably grab one for Spider-man 2 and a few other games they've put out ( and I have a decent PS4 digital library that I can't acces at present because I sold off my PS4 while it still had some value).

The 3 greatest consoles ever were the original NES, PS2, and XBox 360. Doubt they ever get topped.

Xbox and PS nudging people towards streaming. You can already play Game Pass on certain tvs without a console at all.

I think eventually it will end up similar to the streaming apps. And by that I mean constant price increases for shitter quality and ads being shoved down your throat. You can already see it moving that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic View Post
    The 3 greatest consoles ever were the original NES, PS2, and XBox 360. Doubt they ever get topped.
    No SNES?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    No SNES?
    I guess it gets honorable mention but its overshadowed by NES.

I guess it gets honorable mention but its overshadowed by NES.

Lol no but seriously, NES is the more historically relevant console as it singlehandedly revived the NA home console market in the mid 80's, and birthed alot of popular legacy IP that endures to this day. I do feel like the SNES reached higher highs due to the technological edge over NES allowing for richer experiences. The top end of the NES is great but there's LOTS of licensed filler that doesn't hold up ( you could say the same about SNES but IMO to a lesser degree). Guess it depends on what conversation you're having comparing the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Lol no but seriously, NES is the more historically relevant console as it singlehandedly revived the NA home console market in the mid 80's, and birthed alot of popular legacy IP that endures to this day. I do feel like the SNES reached higher highs due to the technological edge over NES allowing for richer experiences. The top end of the NES is great but there's LOTS of licensed filler that doesn't hold up ( you could say the same about SNES but IMO to a lesser degree). Guess it depends on what conversation you're having comparing the two.
    Well, everyone's tastes are different. The NES revolutionized home gaming, and so many great franchises got their start there. To me, Super Nes was just the NES with better graphics, basically.

Well, everyone's tastes are different. The NES revolutionized home gaming, and so many great franchises got their start there. To me, Super Nes was just the NES with better graphics, basically.
    Of course. I grew up with both systems as a child of the 80's/90's so someone preferring the NES is YMMV, I just feel like the top end of the SNES is better and the games generally hold up better but to each their own.

Yeah, dude. The red ring of death was awesome!