Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: List of the top 10 shooting guards ever. Come argue about number 4...and 6...

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    He was better than league average I just said that. Considering volume that’s great. You really think someone like Brandon Ingram is a better scorer than McGrady? Stop comparing efficiency in a league where the average TS% is 57.2% to one in which it was 6% lower.

McGrady’s 56.2 TS% in 03 is actually incredibly impressive. The league average was 51.9%, he was quite a bit above league average and he led the league in scoring. There has never been an NBA before the last few years in which 56.2% wasn’t a damn good TS%
    Which is what makes Ray Allen so impressive in 2001 during that era. Put up a .610%ts while leading the league in offensive win shares. And he was even BETTER in the playoffs. League of course screwed the bucks over, though.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 03-11-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Default Re: List of the top 10 shooting guards ever. Come argue about number 4...and 6...

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117 View Post
    Which is what makes Ray Allen so impressive in 2001 during that era. Put up a .610%ts while leading the league in offensive win shares. And he was even BETTER in the playoffs. League of course screwed the bucks over, though.
    Kind of an outlier though considering besides his 59.8 TS% in 02 he never had a TS% over 57% until 2006 when offense spiked. Obviously 57.0% was still impressive as **** back then but it’s actually below league average now (which is absurd. Defense should not be this neutered)

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Kind of an outlier though considering besides his 59.8 TS% in 02 he never had a TS% over 57% until 2006 when offense spiked. Obviously 57.0% was still impressive as **** back then but it’s actually below league average now (which is absurd. Defense should not be this neutered)
    As I said before, they need to bring back hand checking. Players have too much freedom of movement on the perimeter now.

As I said before, they need to bring back hand checking. Players have too much freedom of movement on the perimeter now.
    Yeah If Ray Allen’s 2001 TS% is adjusted to 2021 it would be 66.4%

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
    Lmao at efficiency next we’ll be praising total points over ppg(barring a good sample size)
    Jesus

GOAT status AND peak-prime status is two different things. I took Iverson over Drexler BECAUSE his career resume is MORE decorated. Which also includes a league MVP, four scoring titles, being a true face of the league, being one of the most dominant little men of all time, etc. Peak-prime wise, Drexler FOR SURE has the edge. And I suppose u could have Clyde over AI on a GOAT list. BUT AI ALSO has a DAMN GOOD CASE to be over Drexler as well.

Plus for me, the top 5 SG's are MJ, Mamba, West, Wade, and Harden. After that, you could rank guys a number of ways. And Ray BEFORE BOSTON was a very complete offensive player. I don't think people REALIZE how he changed the perception of a great pure shooter-scorer types. Guys like Bird, Reggie, Price, etc. Ray added athletic ability and bounce PURE SHOOTER TYPES didn't have before. Plus he could swing to the PG spot as well if needed. Even in today's game, how many pure shooter-scorer type guys are as athletic as young Ray Allen??? KD is the only one!

Yeah that means a lot less when Iverson ran off guys like Stackhouse and Larry Hughes because he wanted to chuck non stop. People always going on about lack of offensive help, but that was because Iverson ran the help off the team so he could chuck up 25+ shots a game. Iverson isn't anything special as a floor raiser. Drexler was definitely a more impactful player than Iverson was in his prime and peak. Same for Ray Allen.
    I don't know... AI's run carrying that team to the Finals in 2001 was very impressive. I doubt that team could crack 80 points a game without him scoring and also distributing. They not only had no scorers but no playmakers either. And again, AI's turnover % is very very low which makes up for poor efficiency. He averaged just 2.9 topg in the 2001 playoffs playing 46.5 minutes per game. That is pretty great. A turnover is worse than a missed shot.
    Last edited by dankok8; 03-12-2021 at 02:14 PM.

Local High School Star

I’d like to view it like this as far as AI vs Reggie;

Who could emulate who better? Reggie or AI?

Could you ask AI to do 22/3/3 on 62 TS% and get better results than asking Reggie to do 27/4/3/2 on 50 TS%?

And I’m really looking at this offensively. Reggie’s a better defender on the whole, probably.

AI played his best defense(decent) from 01-04 according to impact metrics. Terrible before and after that.

Iverson’s level of play was easier and less effective. Volume chucking isn’t gonna be hard to do for a player of Reggie’s caliber.

Actually being good, maybe GOAT ish at making shots is way rarer and more valuable.
    Last edited by 999Guy; 03-13-2021 at 11:51 AM.

College superstar

i would take drexler & miller > iverson. both were more efficient & better defensively. both led their teams to the finals just like iverson, but were the main catalysts. philadelphia's strength otoh was their defense. when you really think about it, reggie was a pioneer for today's game. in the 90s he was elite off the ball and relied a lot on screens for threes, which is all they do now. its no wonder he was difficult to guard in the playoffs. nobody really played that way with everything being inside-out.