Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Better player : Derrick Williams or Tristian Thompson? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293552)

waseem780 03-16-2013 11:08 AM

Better player : Derrick Williams or Tristian Thompson?

Who's the better player?

RedBlackAttack 03-16-2013 05:23 PM

Re: Better player : Derrick Williams or Tristian Thompson?

I'd say it is pretty obvious at this stage.

Tristan Thompson is averaging a double-double this year with good defense.

Since Anderson Varejao went down with injury in mid-December and Tristan was given a much bigger role on the team, he's averaging 13+ points, 10+ rebounds on 52% shooting and a block per game. That is over the course of 38 games... Not a small sample size.

fos 03-16-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I'd say it is pretty obvious at this stage.

Tristan Thompson is averaging a double-double this year with good defense.

Since Anderson Varejao went down with injury in mid-December and Tristan was given a much bigger role on the team, he's averaging 13+ points, 10+ rebounds on 52% shooting and a block per game. That is over the course of 38 games... Not a small sample size.

I'd say it's obvious that Thompson has been better this year but I'd still rather have Williams because of his upside. Both these guys can be average starters but Williams has all-star talent and Thompson doesn't.

RedBlackAttack 03-16-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fos
I'd say it's obvious that Thompson has been better this year but I'd still rather have Williams because of his upside. Both these guys can be average starters but Williams has all-star talent and Thompson doesn't.

Have you watched Thompson play? He is like a puppy with big paws. He is just starting to figure out how to play on this level and he's really athletic. He has tons of upside.

The problem with Williams, from what I've seen, is that he doesn't seem to have a natural position in the NBA. He was a beast in college playing primarily as a 4, using his athleticism around the rim. He is just not big enough to play PF in the NBA.

At the same time, his perimeter skills don't seem to be quite good enough to shine as a 3 in the NBA. He is a classic tweener.

Thompson is just 21 and he's averaging a double-double with potentially elite level defense down the road. At this stage, I really don't see the argument for Williams.

LilEddyCurry 03-16-2013 06:06 PM

Derrick Williams is a poor man's Michael Beasley, has no real position.

waseem780 03-16-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilEddyCurry

Minnesota has Kevin Love thats the real problem. Derrick Williams plays much better at the 4 , but he aint getting any minutes if kevin love is their but now kevin's been injured he's starting and been playing pretty good.I see him as a 4 just in the wrong situation.its either play more minutes but be a small forward or barely play as a power forward..

fsvr54 03-16-2013 06:36 PM

Williams has more potential, watch the highlights of the game in his rookie season where he dropped like 36 on the Clippers.

Whoah10115 03-16-2013 06:43 PM

Williams is out and out a PF. He's not small. He's 6'7 and he's thick. He has no problem playing PF. Teams and scouts just complicate things.

Thompson is better right now. Thompson is a solid starting piece, able to defend and rebound, give you some points. Thompson is very raw, so he could have more upside than we realize...tho I think Williams has more peak upside. Thompson should be consistently solid tho.

B-Easy8 03-16-2013 08:24 PM

Williams is definitely a 4 and has no trouble playing it.

He has been very good since Love has been out, averaging close to 18 and 8. People must have forgotten that he was backing up the best PF in the game all of last season and was backing him and Cunningham up again this season until roughly a month or two ago. Since then he has been straight up balling. Can shoot, put it on the floor and is extremely athletic. He can rebound and plays very well with Ricky.

Tristan looks solid but doesn't have the upside that Williams has.

PrettyCool 03-16-2013 09:16 PM

Easily Thompson. More upside too.

Da KO King 03-16-2013 10:22 PM

Derrick Williams is a better basketball player. Tristan Thompson is a better fit with the Cavs than Williams is with the Wolves though.

cavsfanatic 03-17-2013 01:06 AM

Seriously? Derrick Williams is garbage imo. He shoots 69% from the ft line 31% from three and 41% overall. Every time I watch Minnesota I thank god that The Wolves took him at 2 so he wasn't there at 4. I don't think he has any upside... I don't know what y'all talking about.

waseem780 03-18-2013 06:58 AM

Derrick just scored 28 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in a Win

chips93 03-18-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavsfanatic
Seriously? Derrick Williams is garbage imo. He shoots 69% from the ft line 31% from three and 41% overall. Every time I watch Minnesota I thank god that The Wolves took him at 2 so he wasn't there at 4. [b]I don't think he has any upside[B/]... I don't know what y'all talking about.

hes big, strong, athletic, and he can hit jumper. hes clearly got a lot of offensive potential.

DukeDelonte13 03-18-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilEddyCurry

this.

TT is the better player now, and will most likely always be the better player. He's a 21 year old averaging a double double with good defense and people are talking like he has no upside. :facepalm

Derrick has shown he can be a scorer in certain situations but he's not a consistent night in night out scoring threat. I think TT has a lot more value in the league than D-Will does.