Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   My Gripe with Tyson Chandler (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284111)

franchize 12-12-2012 10:52 AM

My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Here's my issue with our 14 million dollar center:

Last night, Tyson Chandler went back to playing like the overrated scrub I knew him ass. He was starting to make me look silly for a second, then lo and behold, he reverted back to the Tyson Chandler I knew he could be. Welcome back!

In all seriousness though...someone with some media clout, whether it be a coach, a show host or something needs to bring this to light. The media earned him a DPOY award he didnt deserve. It's about time he gets called out for the fraud he is. I'm tired of seeing this guy miss defensive assignments. I'm tired of seeing him get killed on the boards. I'm tired of seeing him get posted up. I'm tired of seeing people penetrate into the paint without him impeding their progress. I'm tired of him being a legit 7 footer and not avg double digit rebounds and yet and still EVERYTHING we do defensively gets attributed to him. When Blatche started going to work, instead of our 14 million dollar center guarding him, he left Melo to guard him. Whenever Blatche got the ball and Chandler was on him, he abused him. Andray Blatche. The guy nobody wanted to even be our 15th man this summer. Remember him. He lit Chandler's campfire. Chandler played like a scared biotch. He picked up a foul vs Reggie Evans on the 3 point line. :wtf:
Evans horsed him on the boards last night. I'm sorry. I gotta call a spade a spade when I see it. I gave him props when he played well. I call it like a I see it though. I have huge issues with this guy being labeled this great defensive player and me not seeing the evidence on a consistent basis.

Clutch 12-12-2012 11:13 AM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
He didn't play well last night but at least he woke up late in the game and got us a few very important offensive rebounds.
That Kidd three came after Tyson had tipped it out back to Melo and we gained a new possession.

I want him to defend better. He's 7'1. Why doesn't he block any shots ? 100 year old Rasheed Wallace averages the same amount of blocks as Tyson (0.8) in 16 less minutes.
And that's not the worst part of it. Our 100 year old 6'4 point guard Jason Kidd and our 6'8 SF/PF who's known for not playing defense average only .2 blocks less.

His offense has been solid but his defense needs to improve. His rebounding could also get better but in the last few games he's been beasting on the boards so I'll let him get away with that one.

Rameek 12-12-2012 12:15 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Tyson is what he is. Its not like he chose his salary the Knicks offered it. He isnt a hustle rebounder so he isnt going to be 12 or 15 rebound guy. He isnt a shot blocker he's a shot alterer if anything. He isnt playing that bad defensively. He doesnt have an offensive game no back to the basket game.

What were you expecting? the only gripe is he isnt a 14million dollar player thats not his fault. If you want him to play up to that salary you are always going to be disappointed.

franchize 12-12-2012 02:03 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Yea but if everyone is cool with it, Management thinks it's ok to re-up come expiration year of his contract. I dont blame him for taking the money. That doesnt mean I cant complain about it. My wife's boss gets paid more than double what my wife makes and all she does all day is ask my wife to do her job for her. Are we mad that she took the money? No. But we're damn sure going to be pissed about it...whether it changes shit or not.

Furthermore, beyond the money, I'm more pissed at this guy's unwarranted reputation as this defensive guru. I'm seen on numerous occassion, Tyson Chandler shy away from competing with a big man that's a scorer. He did it last night against Blatche. He even did it against Kevin Seraphin. One thing I respected about Danilo Gallinari. He wasnt a gr8 defender but he stepped up and wanted to guard the opposing team's SF, especially if it was a big time matchup. Where's that from "the catalyst of our defense"?

People spared no ill words when Melo or Amare played poorly last year. People went as far as saying Denver robbed us in that trade. People wanted to undo it and get Gallo back. People wanted us to trade Amare and Melo and build around Lin. People gave Chandler all the praise when Woodson found early success. MY gripe is, we'll rip our best player, but when Chandler plays bad it's ok because he's only a role player. Well guess what? He isn't getting a roel player's salary. Yall were complaining about Melo and Amare's contracts all summer and saying "face it, we can't do anything with those on the books." Well Chandler's contract takes up a huge chunk of our salary cap too.

franchize 12-12-2012 02:05 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
And another thing...Fukk that tapping the ball BS. You're 7 feet tall. Grab the damn ball!!! I HATE that $h!t. The ball doesn't always go to our player and when it doesn't it often leads to fast breaks going the other way. Grab the ball and stop with the volleyball stuff Karch Kiraly!

Rameek 12-12-2012 02:14 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
I agree with you. I want Tyson to hustle more and yes I think he needs to make commitments better on defense. Who are the other rebounders on the team even off the bench? Its just Melo and Tyson. I cant kill him yet. Its early in the season.

I have to rip Stat and Melo because they suppose to be superstars. my expectations for quote unquote superstars are totally different than role players.

Sarcastic ripping into Felton ok so he played bad a few times. Its early in the season they have played a lot of games lately.

Shouldnt I be the one ripping people here instead of you all. I am the antagonist!!!!

franchize 12-12-2012 02:29 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rameek
I agree with you. I want Tyson to hustle more and yes I think he needs to make commitments better on defense. Who are the other rebounders on the team even off the bench? Its just Melo and Tyson. I cant kill him yet. Its early in the season.

I have to rip Stat and Melo because they suppose to be superstars. my expectations for quote unquote superstars are totally different than role players.

Sarcastic ripping into Felton ok so he played bad a few times. Its early in the season they have played a lot of games lately.

Shouldnt I be the one ripping people here instead of you all. I am the antagonist!!!!


Yea but I'm the "Resident Pit Bull".

I have no problems ripping guys when they aren't playing up to par. Melo and Amare both had lackluster seasons for the most part last year. Melo turned that around as soon as Woodson took over though. As for Chandler, you say I have to be harder on our superstars than him because he's a role player. Well that isn't what we were sold. We were sold a new "Big Three" in NYC...Remember? Chandler was supposed to be this big time defensive wizard. Instead he plays defense LIKE the Wizards lol

Scoooter 12-12-2012 05:51 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Melo and Chandler for Harden, Parsons and Asik.








:mad:




Chandler's kind of a strange animal. Looking at his salary and stats, you'd conclude he's obviously overpaid, but he still makes the team better (and at his best, he makes them a contender), so that goes a long way towards justifying the numbers. He was clearly integral in the Mavs title a couple of seasons ago. He's tall and athletic and relatively light, but instead of flying around and blocking shots, he plays more like a Kendrick Perkins type. Offensively he's very limited, but if you've got a good point guard, you're getting efficient points out of him.

If Amar'e can go back to blocking shots the way he was a couple of seasons ago, they could compliment each other nicely on the defensive end. Offensively, they're going to have to figure out a way to work together; hopefully J-Kidd (in Kidd we trust) can smooth out the kinks.

knickscity 12-12-2012 07:27 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Some time ago Chandler stated he was being implored into a defensive assignment which was different than what he was used to.

And if noticed, on offense and defense, he's usually at the top of the key near the three point line.

So imo to get 12/10 70% from the field and free throw line, while not being planted under the rim is pretty good.

All that's needed to do is look at what other guys are being paid that put up those same numbers.

I see no true purpose to this thread.

There are not that many centers in the NBA that would fit as well as Tyson does with this squad.

franchize 12-13-2012 09:03 AM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoooter

Chandler's kind of a strange animal. Looking at his salary and stats, you'd conclude he's obviously overpaid, but he still makes the team better (and at his best, he makes them a contender), so that goes a long way towards justifying the numbers. He was clearly integral in the Mavs title a couple of seasons ago. He's tall and athletic and relatively light, but instead of flying around and blocking shots, he plays more like a Kendrick Perkins type.


This is all you had to say. I rest my case lol

Quote:

There are not that many centers in the NBA that would fit as well as Tyson does with this squad.

That's because there aren't many centers period. That's the problem. We justify Tyson Chandler's ****ery based on what we had before him. Well that idiot D'Antoni had Shawne Williams, who's a SF and not even playing anymore, playing center. So yes, compared to the alternative, of course we're going to be better at the position.

Bottom line is, when Melo AND Amare played last season injured and coming off of surgeries, we didn't cut them any slack. FINE. The justification was because they were highly paid and brought in here to be superstars.

So now Tyson Chandler IMO has been very inconsistent and hasn't showed the defensive prowess he undeservingly was labeled with. Why is he exempt? He's highly paid as well and he was brought in here to be this defensive stalwart. I just don't see it. I just want to see the defensive mastermind Grunwald and the NY media tried to sell everyone on.

knickscity 12-13-2012 11:43 AM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
That's because there aren't many centers period. That's the problem. We justify Tyson Chandler's ****ery based on what we had before him. Well that idiot D'Antoni had Shawne Williams, who's a SF and not even playing anymore, playing center. So yes, compared to the alternative, of course we're going to be better at the position.

Bottom line is, when Melo AND Amare played last season injured and coming off of surgeries, we didn't cut them any slack. FINE. The justification was because they were highly paid and brought in here to be superstars.

So now Tyson Chandler IMO has been very inconsistent and hasn't showed the defensive prowess he undeservingly was labeled with. Why is he exempt? He's highly paid as well and he was brought in here to be this defensive stalwart. I just don't see it. I just want to see the defensive mastermind Grunwald and the NY media tried to sell everyone on.

How am i basing it on what we had before, when i specifically said, THIS SQUAD?

Honestly I'm not making him exempt at all, but watch the games.

Look where he is on the court during most defensive sets.

The dude is helping on three different areas of the court on almost every single possession, and on offense just lob it up, you'll get a score 70% of the time and-1 or at the minimum just a foul drawn, and he actually shoots his free throws well for a guy with no jumper.

Is he perfect? Nope, but he sure isn't Javale McGhee out there.

Numbers don't lie......

12 points 10 boards 70% shooting from the field and the line.

And no way am i holding him to the standards of our "superstars", because he isn't one.

The star player gets credit for wins, and losses.

That's like blaming Pablo for a loss.

Tyson is a role player, his pay is irrelevant, even scrub bigs get paid.

But he is one thing Tyson does well, he helps his teams get better, everywhere he has been.

franchize 12-13-2012 02:55 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by knickscity
How am i basing it on what we had before, when i specifically said, THIS SQUAD?

Honestly I'm not making him exempt at all, but watch the games.

Look where he is on the court during most defensive sets.

The dude is helping on three different areas of the court on almost every single possession, and on offense just lob it up, you'll get a score 70% of the time and-1 or at the minimum just a foul drawn, and he actually shoots his free throws well for a guy with no jumper.

Is he perfect? Nope, but he sure isn't Javale McGhee out there.

Numbers don't lie......

12 points 10 boards 70% shooting from the field and the line.

And no way am i holding him to the standards of our "superstars", because he isn't one.

The star player gets credit for wins, and losses.

That's like blaming Pablo for a loss.

Tyson is a role player, his pay is irrelevant, even scrub bigs get paid.

But he is one thing Tyson does well, he helps his teams get better, everywhere he has been.


1. I didn't mean YOU specifically

2. If he's playing HELP defense, he should have FAR more blocks than he does.

3. He's not that much better than JaVale McGee

4. Our star players get blamed for the losses but Chandler and Kidd get the credit for the wins. The Nets game...Exhibit A. Melo had 45 points and all people talk about is how well Kidd played. Melo tied for the most points by any player all season! :confusedshrug: No?.....Nothing?

5. Ok well you know I like numbers. Chandler is 7'1" and has only averaged over 10 rpg TWICE. He averages LESS THAN ONE BLOCK PER GAME! How are you a DPOY and a Defensive Guru at 7'1" but get less than one bpg? It's not like he's taking charges out there.

6. Let's be blount here. His shooting percentage is because he only catches lobs and gets put backs. If anybody gets credit for those it's Felton and Woodson. He's on the receiving end of easy opportunities. Other than Jared Jeffries, who CAN'T make those shots? I bet you JaVale McGee could make those and then some lol

7. His free throw shooting is good now but he started off well last year. We'll see if it remains that way. I hope it doesn because he's a career 63% guy.

8."But he is one thing Tyson does well, he helps his teams get better, everywhere he has been." Sure about that? He made Chicago better? He made Charlotte better?

9."Tyson is a role player, his pay is irrelevant, even scrub bigs get paid." Why is it irrelevant now but all summer you were complaining about how this team is going nowhere because of Melo and Amare's contracts. Melo is worth every penny. Can you say the same for Chandler? I'm just saying be consistent. PPL complained all last year of Melo not playing up to his contract even though, on a bad year, he was like 6th in scoring. Why can't you say the same for Chandler? Why can't you say the same for Novak? That's all I'm saying. Chandler does't get chump change. Chandler gets
big time money.

knickscity 12-13-2012 05:35 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
1. I didn't mean YOU specifically

2. If he's playing HELP defense, he should have FAR more blocks than he does.

3. He's not that much better than JaVale McGee

4. Our star players get blamed for the losses but Chandler and Kidd get the credit for the wins. The Nets game...Exhibit A. Melo had 45 points and all people talk about is how well Kidd played. Melo tied for the most points by any player all season! :confusedshrug: No?.....Nothing?

5. Ok well you know I like numbers. Chandler is 7'1" and has only averaged over 10 rpg TWICE. He averages LESS THAN ONE BLOCK PER GAME! How are you a DPOY and a Defensive Guru at 7'1" but get less than one bpg? It's not like he's taking charges out there.

6. Let's be blount here. His shooting percentage is because he only catches lobs and gets put backs. If anybody gets credit for those it's Felton and Woodson. He's on the receiving end of easy opportunities. Other than Jared Jeffries, who CAN'T make those shots? I bet you JaVale McGee could make those and then some lol

7. His free throw shooting is good now but he started off well last year. We'll see if it remains that way. I hope it doesn because he's a career 63% guy.

8."But he is one thing Tyson does well, he helps his teams get better, everywhere he has been." Sure about that? He made Chicago better? He made Charlotte better?

9."Tyson is a role player, his pay is irrelevant, even scrub bigs get paid." Why is it irrelevant now but all summer you were complaining about how this team is going nowhere because of Melo and Amare's contracts. Melo is worth every penny. Can you say the same for Chandler? I'm just saying be consistent. PPL complained all last year of Melo not playing up to his contract even though, on a bad year, he was like 6th in scoring. Why can't you say the same for Chandler? Why can't you say the same for Novak? That's all I'm saying. Chandler does't get chump change. Chandler gets
big time money.


1. My bad....

2. How does help defense incresse blocks on the wing?

3. He's better than McGhee, much better.

4. Melo is being recognized for putting together an Mvp year so far, that's the ultimate credit to the teams success.

5. You can be a good defender and not be a shotblocker. Deandre for instance gets a lot of blocks but is not a good defender.


6. i dont care how he scores, he does it



7. So you're hoping he become average again?


8. Yes he did, ironically Charlotte made their only playoff appearance that year, but I gueds he was no help.


9. Nope, I don't complain about the salary at all.

I merely respond to constant complaining of how the team was made up, and reference why.

I don't care how much the players make, but the expectation is for them to play up to it.

Look, I realize you don't like Tyson which is fine.

But don't belittle what the guy does.

Take him off this team, and they would win less.

Clutch 12-13-2012 11:02 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
Obviously someone forgot to report Tyson had flu-like symptoms tonight because he played like hot garbage. :oldlol:
Bad defense,bad rebounding and horrible free throw shooting.
He made a few great plays in the last 2-3 minutes but that's about it. Other than that he was horrible. I'm telling you guys,flu-like symptoms. :lol

Scoooter 12-13-2012 11:09 PM

Re: My Gripe with Tyson Chandler
 
He had some huge tap-out/psuedo-rebounds at the end there though.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy