Shaq confirms to InsideHoops that he really did hitch a parking lot ride with a fan in a tiny Honda
• Knicks forward Julius Randle speaks on 2OT win over Celtics
• No firm timetable yet for return of Bulls guard Coby White
• Deandre Ayton speaks on lack of Suns extension agreement
• G League: Raptors 905 coaching staff announced
• Pelicans and Jonas Valanciunas agree to contract extension
• Jaylen Brown had some breathing issues due to COVID-19
• Jim Boylen named head coach of November 2021 USA Basketball World Cup Qualifying Team
• DeMar DeRozan buys new Chicago mansion
• Celtics re-sign Jabari Parker
• Timberwolves exercise contract options on Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels
• Raptors exercise contract options on Precious Achiuwa and Malachi Flynn
• Lakers add Avery Bradley via waiver wire
• Hawks sign Kevin Huerter to contract extension
• Pacers sign Malcolm Brogdon to contract extension
• Grizzlies sign Jaren Jackson Jr. to contract extension
• Rockets add Garrison Mathews, waive Anthony Lamb
• Spurs exercise contract options on Keldon Johnson and Devin Vassell
• Hornets waive Wes Iwundu
• Lakers sign Jay Huff to two-way contract
• Celtics sign Brodric Thomas to two-way contract
• Raptors waive forward Ishmail Wainright
• Memphis Grizzlies waive Kris Dunn, David Stockton and Matthew Hurt
• OKC Thunder waive Mamadi Diakite, Justin Jaworski and Oliver Sarr
• Trail Blazers waive Patrick Patterson, Marquese Chriss and Quinn Cook
• Timberwolves waive forward Vince Edwards
• Orlando Magic waive Admiral Schofield, B.J. Johnson, Jeff Dowtin and Hassani Gravett
• Utah Jazz waive forward Nino Johnson
• Mavericks waive Justin Jackson and EJ Onu
• Sacramento Kings exercise contract option on Tyrese Haliburton
• Dallas Mavericks sign Justin Jackson and E.J. Onu
• Dallas Mavericks waive Carlik Jones, Feron Hunt and Tyrell Terry
• Miami Heat waive DJ Stewart, Javonte Smart, Micah Potter and Dru Smith
• Rockets sign Daishen Nix, waive Marcus Foster
• Atlanta Hawks exercise contract options on De’Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish and Onyeka Okongwu
• Timberwolves waive Brian Bowen II, Chris Silva, Matt Lewis and Isaiah Miller
• Grizzlies sign David Stockton, waive Ahmad Caver
• Kings waive forward Emanuel Terry
• Timberwolves sign forward Vince Edwards
• Lakers waive Joel Ayayi, Chaundee Brown Jr., Cameron Oliver and Trevelin Queen
• Pelicans waive John Petty Jr.
• Utah Jazz sign forward Nino Johnson
• Utah Jazz waive Derrick Alston Jr., Marques Bolden and MaCio Teague
• Charlotte Hornets waive Jalen Crutcher and Cameron McGriff
• Rockets sign Armoni Brooks and Marcus Foster, waive Tyler Bey
• Grizzlies sign Ahmad Caver and Matthew Hurt, waive Sean McDermott and Romeo Weems
• Lakers waive guard Mac McClung
A few weeks ago some pictures showed up on the a bunch of internet message boards, (including the InsideHoops.com forums) showing Shaquille O'Neal in a parking lot in Scottsdale, Arizona, taking a picture with a young male fan. And then more photos showed Shaq inside a tiny Honda, barely able to fit inside, being driven, according to the story, to where his car was parked, far outside of that parking lot.
Well, InsideHoops.com editor Jeff Lenchiner was with Shaq on Saturday, March 29 and the giant Phoenix Suns center confirmed the story is true.
InsideHoops.com: There were some pictures posted on some internet message boards, including InsideHoops.com's, showing two young people, a guy and a girl, who apparently gave you a quick lift in a parking lot over to where your car was. They definitely looked real and I wanted to hear direct from you what happened.
Shaquille O'Neal: Yeah, that was real. I bought this big-ass truck in Phoenix, and I was meeting my wife to get something to eat. I couldn't park it there, so I had to park way across the street, and you know it's hot as hell in Phoenix. So this kid wanted an autograph, and I told him, 'if you want an autograph you have to give me a ride,' so he gave me a ride across the street.
InsideHoops.com: Haha, cool, because they absolutely looked real.
Shaquille O'Neal: Yeah, they're real.
Now, you'll note Shaq told InsideHoops.com he was meeting up with "his wife." I listened to my recording about 15 times in a row to make sure I heard it correctly, and it definitely was what I posted above. The obvious assumption is that he's referring to his ex-wife, Shaunie. They have children together, so I'm sure they're in touch. I don't know more than that, and didn't ask Shaq about it.
The pictures are in lots of places, but you can see them here.