Miami Heat trade Shawn Marion to Toronto Raptors for Jermaine O'Neal
• Celtics sign Brodric Thomas to two-way contract
• Raptors waive forward Ishmail Wainright
• Memphis Grizzlies waive Kris Dunn, David Stockton and Matthew Hurt
• OKC Thunder waive Mamadi Diakite, Justin Jaworski and Oliver Sarr
• Trail Blazers waive Patrick Patterson, Marquese Chriss and Quinn Cook
• Timberwolves waive forward Vince Edwards
• Orlando Magic waive Admiral Schofield, B.J. Johnson, Jeff Dowtin and Hassani Gravett
• Utah Jazz waive forward Nino Johnson
• Mavericks waive Justin Jackson and EJ Onu
• Sacramento Kings exercise contract option on Tyrese Haliburton
• Dallas Mavericks sign Justin Jackson and E.J. Onu
• Dallas Mavericks waive Carlik Jones, Feron Hunt and Tyrell Terry
• Miami Heat waive DJ Stewart, Javonte Smart, Micah Potter and Dru Smith
• Rockets sign Daishen Nix, waive Marcus Foster
• Atlanta Hawks exercise contract options on De’Andre Hunter, Cam Reddish and Onyeka Okongwu
• Timberwolves waive Brian Bowen II, Chris Silva, Matt Lewis and Isaiah Miller
• Grizzlies sign David Stockton, waive Ahmad Caver
• Kings waive forward Emanuel Terry
• Timberwolves sign forward Vince Edwards
• Lakers waive Joel Ayayi, Chaundee Brown Jr., Cameron Oliver and Trevelin Queen
• Pelicans waive John Petty Jr.
• Utah Jazz sign forward Nino Johnson
• Utah Jazz waive Derrick Alston Jr., Marques Bolden and MaCio Teague
• Charlotte Hornets waive Jalen Crutcher and Cameron McGriff
• Rockets sign Armoni Brooks and Marcus Foster, waive Tyler Bey
• Grizzlies sign Ahmad Caver and Matthew Hurt, waive Sean McDermott and Romeo Weems
• Lakers waive guard Mac McClung
The Toronto Raptors announced Friday they have acquired four-time NBA All-Star forward Shawn Marion, guard Marcus Banks and cash from the Miami Heat in exchange for forward-center Jermaine O’Neal, forward Jamario Moon and a conditional draft pick.
“I am obviously very familiar with Shawn on both a personal and professional level and feel he will ideally complement our roster and benefit our team in a significant way,” said Bryan Colangelo, Raptors President and General Manager. “As far as his pending free-agent status, this is not a move intended to clear space or predetermine a next move. It will however provide flexibility to both Shawn and the Raptors.
"Marcus will add scoring and defensive punch to our lineup and should benefit from the change of address... This is a win-win for both Toronto and Miami and we wish JO and Jamario the best," added Colangelo.
Marion has averaged 17.9 points, 10.0 rebounds, 1.9 steals, 1.3 blocks and 37.7 minutes in 717 regular season games over 10 seasons with Phoenix and Miami. He finished in the Top 10 in the NBA in rebounds and steals on seven occasions. He was named All-NBA Third Team in 2005 and 2006, and a Western Conference All-Star in 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007.
Marion, 30, averaged double figures in points and rebounds in four seasons (2000-01, 2004-05, 2005-06 and 2007-08). He has averaged more than 9.0 rebounds a game in every season but his rookie campaign. He posted career bests of 21.8 points and 11.8 rebounds in 2005-06, and 2.28 steals in 2002-03. He scored a career-high 44 points versus Boston on February 22, 2006 and grabbed a personal-best 24 rebounds February 25, 2006 versus Charlotte and November 9, 2007 at Miami. His career high for steals came versus Minnesota with eight February 6, 2006.
Marion, 6-foot-7, 228 pounds, has averaged 12.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 36.1 minutes in 41 games this season with the Heat. He has appeared in 65 postseason games, owning career playoff averages of 17.1 points, 10.9 rebounds, 1.5 steals and 1.5 blocks. He helped the Suns to the Western Conference Championship series in 2005-06, averaging 20.4 points and 11.7 rebounds in 20 games. He averaged 12.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.25 steals in his four all-star games.
Marion declared for the 1999 NBA Draft following his freshman season at UNLV and was selected by Phoenix in the first round (9th overall).
Banks, 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, has averaged 6.2 points and 2.2 rebounds in 317 career games with Boston, Minnesota, Phoenix and Miami. He posted career highs of 10.0 points and 3.8 assists in the 2005-06 season with Boston and Minnesota. He recorded career highs of 28 points versus Atlanta on April 14, 2004 and 10 assists at Atlanta on April 5, 2006.
Banks has averaged 2.6 points, 1.4 assists and 10.4 minutes in 16 games with Miami this season. He has appeared 13 postseason contests, averaging 4.2 points and 1.2 assists. He was a 2003 first-round pick by Memphis and dealt to Boston on draft night. He played his final two collegiate seasons at UNLV where he averaged 18.1 points and 4.3 assists in 63 games.
O’Neal averaged 13.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 29.7 minutes in 41 games with the Raptors this season. He was acquired July 9, along with the draft rights to Nathan Jawai, from the Indiana Pacers for T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, Maceo Baston and the draft rights to Roy Hibbert.
Moon was signed as a free agent in 2007. In his two seasons with the Raptors, he averaged 8.0 points, 5.6 rebounds and 26.9 minutes in 132 games.
Read fan reaction and discuss your own opinion in this forum thread.