Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Lax4422Chik1342
Kids at the park dunk on me

Lax4422Chik1342 has decent reputation
Default Most unique free throw shooters

Rick Barry was a lifetime 90% or so free throw shooter, he shot underhanded. He gave Wilt a few lessons and for many years off n on seasons and even during a season Wilt would shoot from the charity stripe underhanded, it helped him because of the softer touch he got, better bounces. One time through my longtime friendship with Lakers PA announcer L T, I attended a game day practice at Staples, a real thrill and afterwards I got to hang with the coaches and players, my Pasadena homie Coops was there, at the time he was in his first stint as the Sparks coach, anyhow I talked to Shaq and suggested he try his free throws underhanded, he got billigerent, he told me shooting under handed was for ******s and girls, he called Rick and Wilt queers, he'd rather miss all of his shots then make more shooting under handed he went on, okay end of story.

As unusual as Rick Barry was shooting underhanded there is one player even more unique, the only one I have ever seen do it, a Top 50 NBA player and well deserved, Hal Greer who would jump shoot his free throws, a 85% career free thrower who said he jump shot his free throws becaue he could practice his jump shot at the same time, talk about dedication

When Wilt first came up, he would take a running start from the top of the key and broad jump his free throws slamming them down, then the rule was changed to indicate the ball had to leave the shooter's hand from behind the stripe. Wilt was an outstanding track and field man in several events including broad jumping, shot put and javelin throws
Lax4422Chik1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
DinoRadja40
Favre's Last Stand

DinoRadja40 is considered somewhat coolDinoRadja40 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Most unique free throw shooters

Shawn Kemp: One handed, saw on on that ahmad rashad show once that kemp practiced for hours on end shootingfrom the line, one handed with his eyes closed.

Mark Jackson: Archs shooting arm to basket b4 shooting

Reggie Miller: Couldnt Miss
DinoRadja40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here

Shaq called Wilt and Rick queer?

Shaq just dropped a half dozen slots on the GOAT list.

JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
Lax4422Chik1342
Kids at the park dunk on me

Lax4422Chik1342 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoRadja40
Shawn Kemp: One handed, saw on on that ahmad rashad show once that kemp practiced for hours on end shootingfrom the line, one handed with his eyes closed.

The Big O, Oscar Robertson shot one handed free throws, shot put style.
Lax4422Chik1342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax4422Chik1342
Rick Barry was a lifetime 90% or so free throw shooter, he shot underhanded. He gave Wilt a few lessons and for many years off n on seasons and even during a season Wilt would shoot from the charity stripe underhanded, it helped him because of the softer touch he got, better bounces. One time through my longtime friendship with Lakers PA announcer L T, I attended a game day practice at Staples, a real thrill and afterwards I got to hang with the coaches and players, my Pasadena homie Coops was there, at the time he was in his first stint as the Sparks coach, anyhow I talked to Shaq and suggested he try his free throws underhanded, he got billigerent, he told me shooting under handed was for ******s and girls, he called Rick and Wilt queers, he'd rather miss all of his shots then make more shooting under handed he went on, okay end of story.

If you actually discussing this with Shaq , you should of advised him or asked him if he ever practiced using the backboard ?
Then his gayness would go flat - and his % would go up.

-------------
Oscar Robertson - one handed free throw
Lucious Allen - Bent elbow form like his jumper
Curtis Perry - Elbow over head right chucker.
** YEp I saw Rick Barry several times ... and NEVER SAW HIM MISS.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #6
KNOW1EDGE
AKA MUGGSY

KNOW1EDGE posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryKNOW1EDGE posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Nick Van Exel- He shot from like 2 feet behind the free throw line.

Jerry Stackhouse

KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
yeesterbunny
chicken nugget addict!

yeesterbunny has an OK reputation so far

CHUCK HAYES FTW !!
yeesterbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Marion-just flicks it in
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
detsportsfan3
Stern+refs=fail

detsportsfan3 has an OK reputation so far

yup, I think chuck hayes takes the cake here with his pump fake free throws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQq9YWZ568
detsportsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
mmsupra
MDOTM

mmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermmsupra is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Charles Oakley
mmsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

anthony mason
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: