Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here
Default My Final Goodbye To The Sonics (This Is For You RBP)

I've spent a lot of time making videos for my team (here, and here). But, if for no other reason than to give RBP whatever I could, I put all my effort in to making a video for another team: The Seattle SuperSonics.

I hope you enjoy my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2f7NxXGIbU
JordanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: My Final Goodbye To The Sonics (This Is For You RBP)

thanks jordonL

it brought a little tear to my eye...

you just made my day!!
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
JordanL

JordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation hereJordanL has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
thanks jordonL

it brought a little tear to my eye...

you just made my day!!

My pleasure. :)
Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sonics should be given the top 3 picks of whatever draft they start to rebuild through. It's only fair
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
JordanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Sonics should be given the top 3 picks of whatever draft they start to rebuild through. It's only fair

I just don't understand how Bennet got a "shared history". Seattle can't even retire Payton's and Kemp's numbers now.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanL
I just don't understand how Bennet got a "shared history". Seattle can't even retire Payton's and Kemp's numbers now.

I don't get that either. He is starting over in a new location with a new name, logo, and team colors. That is totally different from the Sonics and has nothing to do with their history.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
JordanL

One bump for the afternoon crowd.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

from the seattle times:

According to the agreement, if Seattle is granted an expansion team in the next five years, that franchise will share the Sonics' history with the Oklahoma City team.

If Seattle lands a team through relocation of an existing franchise, most likely the Oklahoma City team will retain sole possession of the Sonics history.

check out the full article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...31_soni06.html
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

Just so upsetting to see the team leave Seattle. And this is coming from a guy in New York, imagine how those who live in the Seattle area feel. Just devastating, and really just unfortunate. I started watching the NBA in 1996, when the Sonics reached the Finals with Payton and Kemp, and I have always had a soft spot for that franchise. David Stern will hopefully step down soon.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
from the seattle times:

According to the agreement, if Seattle is granted an expansion team in the next five years, that franchise will share the Sonics' history with the Oklahoma City team.

If Seattle lands a team through relocation of an existing franchise, most likely the Oklahoma City team will retain sole possession of the Sonics history.

check out the full article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...31_soni06.html

Tell me, does shared means they can be retired in both cities (when seattle get another team)? If so there should be no prob, just retire em in both cities...
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

Another two great videos about the farewell of the Sonics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRONydjMLWo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOJIM5-Zmv0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Tell me, does shared means they can be retired in both cities (when seattle get another team)? If so there should be no prob, just retire em in both cities...

Who knows when (if ever) Seattle will get another team man? That's the problem. By the way, Seattle is reportedly the smartest large city in the entire country.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nice video btw. I love the acoustic cover of 'Hey Ya.'
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
JordanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
Who knows when (if ever) Seattle will get another team man? That's the problem.

Part of the problem, I think, is that Stern doesn't understand the culture here in the Northwest. The people here are not like New York, or Cleveland, or Baltimore, (and I don't mean that disrespectfully). They will not forgive and forget.

Stern looks at this as Seattle had their chance, and maybe if they're lucky they'll get another in a few years.

But the Seattle people in general, and most of those in the Northwest I'd like to think, think of it as the NBAs chance.

A lot of the people in Seattle will not forget being abused by the NBA and by Stern, and I doubt many will support a new team. Not because they don't love basketball, or want a team to cheer for, but because people in this section of the country, more than any other I think, have this tendency to allow moral indignation to govern their decisions.

The people of Seattle, en large, would not be able to accept another team without feeling as if they were crawling back to massa' Stern, as it were. And many would probably wonder how long it would be until no one cared about saving their team again.

The NBA blew it's chance at the Seattle market, and I doubt we'll see the people there open up to a new team within even a decade. At this point, if an owner wants to move to Seattle, I doubt he'll be able to do with any public dollars. Period.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Quote:
Part of the problem, I think, is that Stern doesn't understand the culture here in the Northwest. The people here are not like New York, or Cleveland, or Baltimore, (and I don't mean that disrespectfully). They will not forgive and forget.

Stern looks at this as Seattle had their chance, and maybe if they're lucky they'll get another in a few years.

But the Seattle people in general, and most of those in the Northwest I'd like to think, think of it as the NBAs chance.

A lot of the people in Seattle will not forget being abused by the NBA and by Stern, and I doubt many will support a new team. Not because they don't love basketball, or want a team to cheer for, but because people in this section of the country, more than any other I think, have this tendency to allow moral indignation to govern their decisions.

The people of Seattle, en large, would not be able to accept another team without feeling as if they were crawling back to massa' Stern, as it were. And many would probably wonder how long it would be until no one cared about saving their team again.

The NBA blew it's chance at the Seattle market, and I doubt we'll see the people there open up to a new team within even a decade. At this point, if an owner wants to move to Seattle, I doubt he'll be able to do with any public dollars. Period.

You know, I agree completely man. It's not like the Nets moving to Brooklyn because heck - Brooklyn and East Rutherford (NJ) are literally only 15 miles away!! Many New Yorkers (including me) are closer to East Rutherford than Brooklyn. It's not like New Jersey folks will have to make a MAJOR move. And you're right, New Jersey and New York fans are more resilient. Seattle to Oklahoma City is completely different, and it's a true pity. Hopefully the basketball culture doesn't leave Seattle with the Supersonics.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #15
JordanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
You know, I agree completely man. It's not like the Nets moving to Brooklyn because heck - Brooklyn and East Rutherford (NJ) are literally only 15 miles away!! Many New Yorkers (including me) are closer to East Rutherford than Brooklyn. It's not like New Jersey folks will have to make a MAJOR move. And you're right, New Jersey and New York fans are more resilient. Seattle to Oklahoma City is completely different, and it's a true pity. Hopefully the basketball culture doesn't leave Seattle with the Supersonics.

Seattle, like Portland, is full of activists. People who want to be heard.

Since they are sitting there with a giant arena and no primary occupant, I wouldn't put it past the people of Seattle to try and aquire a Europeon league or Asian league team, if only for a few games.

That'd probably scar the piss right out of the All-mighty Stern.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: