Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

Default Re: Better From This Point Forward: Bynum or Bogut?

Another thread to have delusional fans put Bynum in the hall of fame after a good month and a half before injury.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #17
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

What? No more Andrea Bargnani in the "Andr B" comparisons?

Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
If Bynum stays healthy there's no comparison. Bogut is a good serviceable big man. Bynum has potential to be an all-time great.

Everything in that whole post is wrong.

- Bogut first of is way more than "servicable." Last year he put up 14 and 10, and that increases to 16 and 12 after the all-star break. He is also one of the 5 best passers among big men, thats far and away above "servicable."
- Bynum is talented, but most of that is just his size and athleticism. I've seen nothing on the court to make me think he can be one of the greats. I like the kid and think that he will be very good (ie Pau-level or so), but thats just blatant overrating.

Bynum has more potential, but Bogut is currently the better player and is more likely to reach his ceiling than Bynum.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

Bogut is currently the better player
He's just in a small market no one pays attention to or cares about.
You what your getting from Bogut.

Bynum is still benefiting from the pressence of Kobe.
Bogut is no where near the shot blocker Bynum is.

But next to Kobe I do feel the numbers Bynum was putting up, Bogut could easily do as well.
With exception to the shot blocking.
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #20
Collie
Great college starter

Bogut averaged 1.7 bpg last season, i'd say he's pretty close to Bynum as a shotblocker who averaged 2.1.
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #21
adamcz
Bucks fan

Bogut is the better overall defender (great at positional defense, blocks, and charges), and Bynum is the better rebounder and shot blocker (if his great month is an indication of what he can do).

Bogut is the better passer, but Bynum seems to be a much better scorer.

Both good players, but I think your average GM will take the big man who's a better low post scorer and rebounder. That's Bynum.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #22
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Why would you give Bogut the ball more? What's he going to do with it? What moves does he have?

WTF, is this highschool, or the NBA. What moves does he have?

Like he has to have some signature move to be a player in this league? Results are what counts, not how you get there.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #23
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Bynum = Bogut this year.

Bogut brings a higher IQ as well as decent scoring and rebounding. However Bynum has already emerged as the better scorer as noone down low could really stop his 7'1'' 300 pound frame.

For a guy that big, he's pretty damn athletic and is a much better defensive presence than Bogut.

Next year Bynum will be much better than any of these other centers mentioned in this thread.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius

WTF, is this highschool, or the NBA. What moves does he have?

Like he has to have some signature move to be a player in this league? Results are what counts, not how you get there.

Mathius
But then again, you're talking to probably the only guy around here who watched Bogut 70+ times last year.

Give Bogut the ball in the post, and what is he going to do with it? He doesn't have reliable post moves. He has some dinky little baby hook that gets swatted back in his face if his defender knows it's coming (and most do). And that's it. He doesn't have a turn around jumper. He doesn't have an up and under. He doesn't have a drop step.

People who don't watch the Bucks blame the team or the guards for not getting Bogut the ball more. But Bogut doesn't have the game to demand that yet. For the time being, he's great in motion, taking the slow lumbering centers to to the basket, and he's great at putbacks and ok at finishing alley oops.

But NBA players have to have a couple reliable moves to merit running plays through them. If you only have one move, and it's not even that good, then it's simple for any reasonable defender to shut you down.

If Bogut ever develops a 10 foot jump shot, that's when he'll be ready for more plays. He's already a huge threat to drive on centers from that range, but there's no reason for them to step out and guard him, because he can't shoot it.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #25
FULL CLIP
I hit open 5-footers

Kaman is better than both, but If Bynum stays healthy I'd take him over Bogut.
FULL CLIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #26
Mathius

Quote:
But then again, you're talking to probably the only guy around here who watched Bogut 70+ times last year.

I don't give a flying f*ck. If you can score 14-16ppg without having a "move" you're doing alright.

That's high school $hit. You don't have to have a "move". Get a god damn basketball IQ.

Mathius
Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
I don't give a flying f*ck. If you can score 14-16ppg without having a "move" you're doing alright.

That's high school $hit. You don't have to have a "move". Get a god damn basketball IQ.

Mathius
So every player in the NBA who scores 14-16 ppg is capable of having the offense run through them, whether or not they have reliable moves?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #28
Mathius

Quote:
So every player in the NBA who scores 14-16 ppg is capable of having the offense run through them, whether or not they have reliable moves?

No dip****. There's a lot of other factors involved, not the least amount having to do with passing ability, and just what plays your coach is having you run.

Mathius
Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 PM   #29
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:

Mathius

that's pretty aggressive...

and i think teams prefer post players who have established scoring techniques over those who don't. not a knock on bogut though.
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #30
schyza
High School Starter

Well here’s how I look at it, if you go do a player comparison on NBA.com you have Bogut who averaged 28.6, 34.2 & 34.9 MPG in his first 3 years and Bynum who averaged 7.3, 21.9 & 28.8 in his first 3 years far less time on the court than Bogut. Add to that Bogut played collegiate basketball and Bynum came straight out of high school then look at how they have progressed. Now the numbers appear to be scued towards Bynum since his playing time went from 7-28.8 MPG so if I only look at last year’s numbers when they both had about the same MPG. Bynum had better numbers in RPG, BPG, FG%, FT% and still averaging 6 less MPG. While Bogut in his first 3 years has not really improved much maybe his shot a little but from 9.4-14.3 is not a huge improvement so over all I would have to say that if Bynum can stay healthy he will be the overall better player of the 2.

Bogut

05-06 06-07 07-08

PPG 9.4 12.3 14.3
RPG 7.0 8.8 9.8
BPG .8 .5 1.7
APG 2.3 3.0 2.6
FG% .533 .533 .511
FT% .629 .577 .596

Bynum

05-06 06-07 07-08

PPG 1.6 7.8 13.1
RPG 1.7 5.9 10.2