Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #31
The Bynuminator
I brick open layups

The Bynuminator has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LA's fine$t~
No one has ever been as good as a 2000 Shaquille O'Neal in this league, ever.
Not Jordan, not Wilt, not anyone.
I can agree with this. LA centers are always best
The Bynuminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #32
Vendetta
Banned

Vendetta has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
with how the refs where letting Shaq charge into people there is no way Deke can guard him. Maybe he should get the D-Whistle treatment then..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3FXLyNFew

absulute bull**** and I say this as a Laker fan who didn't get it back then. Its just not a legal basketball play and he did it all the time that year

Haha, I miss that. You know... when guys weren't flopping every time there was contact. Mutombo playing him like a man.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #33
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far

This is much worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7cHu...eature=related

BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #35
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Shaq isnt more unstoppable(I thought the 2 minutes of the forth quarter counted)..At Shaq's peak he played in a league with no centers. Everyone that would have at least have been able to attempt to guard him had already left. Kareem played in a league of centers and still dominated.

Why does it seem that people always forget that Shaq came into the league in 92. Shaq played against and beat Tim Duncan during most of his career, and also played great defensive players like Hakeem, Dikembe, Ewing, D Rob and Zo in their primes before they were old, why does it matter if he beat them on the path to the title or not? And how is that relevant at all in this discussion seeing that most of Kareems prime was in the 70s (ie the time after Wilt and before Moses and Hakeem, D Rob, etc.) when he was playing in a league without many great centers and had a few seasons where he didn't even make the playoffs. Kareem didn't become a great winner until Magic joined his team, and the fact taht he won 5 of his 6 titles with Magic proves that.

Personally I'd take Shaq over Kareem, but its close.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #36
omarnyc
Local High School Star

omarnyc has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
In Shaq's mind, he probably thinks he's the greatest basketball player that ever played, so I'm going to have to say yes.....the guy has a ego problem.

you not suppose to think another man is better then you, even if it might be true.
omarnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #37
omarnyc
Local High School Star

omarnyc has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Shaq isnt more unstoppable(I thought the 2 minutes of the forth quarter counted)..At Shaq's peak he played in a league with no centers. Everyone that would have at least have been able to attempt to guard him had already left. Kareem played in a league of centers and still dominated.

hakeem
david robinson
ewing
mourning
mutombo
duncan

all hof centers, then you had the 2nd tier centers who may not be hof but were good. shaq played against great competition.
omarnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #38
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
anyone who says that Shaq >> any GOAT candidate, should better provide arguments for this, because it sounds totally ridiculous to call any player in history "much greater" than Kareem without evidence...

Assertions without supporting evidence is the rule around here. It boils down to, "it is because I think so."
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #39
allball

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation

Kareem IMO was better than Shaq in every single facet of the game. Post play, passing, range, rebounding, defense, awareness, FTs etc.

head to head would still be a good matchup because of Shaq's strength but he would have his hands full with Kareem. especially young Kareem.

also I would add Kareem ran the floor better than Shaq. Shaq probably had better handles but didnt use it effectively enough IMO.

Last edited by allball : 07-07-2008 at 04:12 PM.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #40
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
there is no point in discussing bball with you if you dont see offensive fouls on that play with the elbow. You obviously never played ball, and yes it is Mutumbo fault for drawing a charge. Its not his fault they didnt call it. What is he susposed to move out of the way and let Shaq score...Thats his damn spot.

I have played basketball many times and that's why I hate all the p*ssy offensive fouls called. Mutombo knows he can't guard Shaq so he just sticks his face in there and trys to get the offensive foul call. He moves into Shaq's spot with his face and gets his face lower around Shaq's elbows."

I noticed you didn't even try to answer any of my other points. That's most likely because you didn't have an answer. I also noticed you like to try to take away from Shaq's accomplishments at every oppurtunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
Kareem IMO was better than Shaq in every single facet of the game. Post play, passing, range, rebounding, defense, awareness, FTs etc.

I disagree with a lot of those. I don't think Kareem is a better post player, rebounder and passing may be about equal.

Quote:
head to head would still be a good matchup because of Shaq's strength but he would have his hands full with Kareem. especially young Kareem.

In a matchup like that neither player could guard eachother so you'd likely see both guys averaging about 28-30 ppg and 12-13 rpg.

Quote:
also I would add Kareem ran the floor better than Shaq. Shaq probably had better handles but didnt use it effectively enough IMO.

I disagree I can't think of a legit 7 footer besides maybe Robinson and Garnett who ran the floor better than Shaq.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #41
ShamRockStar
High school junior varsity star

ShamRockStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
In Shaq's mind, he probably thinks he's the greatest basketball player that ever played, so I'm going to have to say yes.....the guy has a ego problem.

Its a confidence thing, most every athlete has this type of mentality. Kobe, Lebron, Pierce, Bird, MJ, etc. all believe that no one can stop them, its part of why they are as good as they are.

Bird would str8t up tell the defender before a set play at the end of the game, I am going to get the ball, and shoot it from this spot on the floor, hit it, and you can't do anything about it. And he would get the ball, shoot it from where he said, and of course make it and laugh at the defender as he celebrates on the way back to the locker room.
ShamRockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #42
ShamRockStar
High school junior varsity star

ShamRockStar has an OK reputation so far

VC,

Bill Russell and Wilt were track and field stars as well basketball players. Russell ran the 440yard dash, about 403 meters, in 49 seconds. At that time, without concentrating solely on track he was world class in the high jump and 400 or 440. He was rated the 6th best high jumper in the world and his 6'10" jump at the california colleges track championships still ranks as 1 of the highest ever at that event. He had wanted to compete at the olympics in track as well as Basketball but was not able to due to basketball commitment.

An example of his speed is the famous "Coleman play" where Hawks guard Coleman recieved an outlet pass at half court off a missed celtics shot, and Russell was on the baseline and proceeded to run Coleman down and block his dunk attempt to preserve a 103 102 lead with 40 seconds left.
ShamRockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #43
west
Celtics for life

west has a near all-star reputation herewest has a near all-star reputation herewest has a near all-star reputation herewest has a near all-star reputation herewest has a near all-star reputation herewest has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarnyc
hakeem
david robinson
ewing
mourning
mutombo
duncan

all hof centers, then you had the 2nd tier centers who may not be hof but were good. shaq played against great competition.
being a KG fan,is TD PF or C???if you say C,then you make me pretty happy,cause Karl malone,barkley,or even KG is the best PF ever then
west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #44
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Yeah i know about Russell and Chamberlain's athleticism but look at some of these plays with Shaq running he floor.

Shaq when he was close to 400 pounds out running the entire Spurs team coast to coast for the dunk.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kVsWuHblBwU

Shaq back in his slim days of 330-350 pounds running the fastbreak with Kobe.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aCvTmmj6QUo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wL6CYWJcx_I

34 year old Shaq blocking a shot and finishing on the break.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xz6EmBWGQnE

Quote:
Originally Posted by west
being a KG fan,is TD PF or C???if you say C,then you make me pretty happy,cause Karl malone,barkley,or even KG is the best PF ever then

I consider him a center for thw following reasons.

1.When he was drafted everyone thought his natural position was center.
2.Even when he was playing with Robinson that was more of a 2 center lineup than a PF-C lineup. Just like some teams have 3 guard lineups.
3.Since Robinson retired Duncan has spent far more minutes at center.
4.Duncan matches up with centers more often.
5.Even when he played with Robinson he was more of the center on offense because he played in the low post far more often. Robinson however was more of the center on defense so it evens out.
6.Duncan plays like a center. He prefers to play in the low post with his back to the basket, he anchors the defense and blocks shots and he's about 6'11", 260.

Last edited by VCMVP1551 : 07-07-2008 at 05:51 PM.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #45
allball

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551

I disagree with a lot of those. I don't think Kareem is a better post player, rebounder and passing may be about equal.

In a matchup like that neither player could guard eachother so you'd likely see both guys averaging about 28-30 ppg and 12-13 rpg.

I disagree I can't think of a legit 7 footer besides maybe Robinson and Garnett who ran the floor better than Shaq.

Kareem IMO was a better post player IMO because he created so many options. Kareem could still rely on his arsenal when he got old where as Shaq without some of his old quickness is much less effective.

For his size Shaq was not the dominant rebounder he should have been. Kareem was much more instinctive in going after the ball.

Kareem may be the best passing center of all time. not sure how you could think Shaq was his equal.

Shaq could run the floor well but Kareem would run out and get fast break buckets much more often than Shaq. I'm speaking of Kareem's ability to get out on the break not necessarily agility.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: