Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #16
DreamYaoTmac5
Banned
 
DreamYaoTmac5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Yao > Dwight
Posts: 881
DreamYaoTmac5 has decent reputationDreamYaoTmac5 has decent reputation
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieg
Didn't he say Hakeem was better than him too? Or maybe that was right after his team got swept and before he went to LA.
It was
DreamYaoTmac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
BrianScalabrine
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 244
BrianScalabrine has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Shaq has ego problems. Any 'modesty' from Shaq is fake.
BrianScalabrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:05 AM   #18
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlie Villanuevas Eyebrows
Posts: 6,971
VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Shaq isnt more unstoppable(I thought the 2 minutes of the forth quarter counted)..At Shaq's peak he played in a league with no centers. Everyone that would have at least have been able to attempt to guard him had already left. Kareem played in a league of centers and still dominated.

Another idiotic statement.

Here are some of the centers Shaq faced in 2000 and their stats.

Alonzo Mourning- 21.7 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 3.7 bpg, 55.1 FG%, 52 wins
Dikembe Mutombo- 11.5 ppg, 14.1 rpg, 3.3 bpg, 56.2 FG%
Tim Duncan- 23.2 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 3.2 apg, 2.2 bpg, 49.0 FG%, 53 wins
David Robinson- 17.8 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 2.3 bpg, 51.2 FG%, 53 wins

All of them were elite defensive player of the year level defenders. And I don't care what anyone says I count Tim Duncan as a center. Alonzo Mourning was the Defensive Player Of the Year that season and finished 3rd in MVP voting.

Some other good centers in 2000. Vlade Divac, Arvydas Sabonis, Patrick Ewing(still a 15 and 10 guy on a 50 win team that made it to the ECF).
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 AM   #19
Younggrease
Banned
 
Younggrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,767
Younggrease has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Another idiotic statement.

Here are some of the centers Shaq faced in 2000 and their stats.

Alonzo Mourning- 21.7 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 3.7 bpg, 55.1 FG%, 52 wins
Dikembe Mutombo- 11.5 ppg, 14.1 rpg, 3.3 bpg, 56.2 FG%
Tim Duncan- 23.2 ppg, 12.4 rpg, 3.2 apg, 2.2 bpg, 49.0 FG%, 53 wins
David Robinson- 17.8 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 2.3 bpg, 51.2 FG%, 53 wins

All of them were elite defensive player of the year level defenders. And I don't care what anyone says I count Tim Duncan as a center. Alonzo Mourning was the Defensive Player Of the Year that season and finished 3rd in MVP voting.

Some other good centers in 2000. Vlade Divac, Arvydas Sabonis, Patrick Ewing(still a 15 and 10 guy on a 50 win team that made it to the ECF).

with how the refs where letting Shaq charge into people there is no way Deke can guard him. Maybe he should get the D-Whistle treatment then..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3FXLyNFew

absulute bull**** and I say this as a Laker fan who didn't get it back then. Its just not a legal basketball play and he did it all the time that year

Thats one year...its idiotic that you keep bringing up his one MVP season. Why dont you bring up when Kareem took overrated and old Oscar Robinson to a title. Or all the times Kareem made free throws in the end of games. Or the fact that Kareem got along with all his teammates while Shaq stays for a year and then throws them under the bus. If being better means giving you team the best chance to win thats Kareem. Kareem was a better leader and a better winner. Im a Lakers fan and love Shaq, but imo Kareem is one of 3 guys who could be called GOAT. Shaq isnt there because he couldnt sustain his play and had to big of a weakness.

Last edited by Younggrease : 07-07-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #20
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,019
iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Here's on who Shaq thinks better or at least equal to him:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lcHQexCFJWM
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #21
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Charlie Villanuevas Eyebrows
Posts: 6,971
VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
with how the refs where letting Shaq charge into people there is no way Deke can guard him. Maybe he should get the D-Whistle treatment then..

LMAO this garbage again.

A 7'1" 340 pound man is going to knock around a 7'1" 265 pound man in the post. It's common sense. Even if Shaq isn't committing an offensive foul it will look like it with the combination of his huge strength advantage as well as defenders flopping. The refs have been calling Shaq on far too many offensive fouls the last few years(especially 2006-2007).


First of all Mutombo just sticks his face in front of Shaq's elbow as he's making his move. That's Mutombo's fault.

And on the last dunk where Shaq lifts him off the ground there's no foul anywhere in that play.

Quote:
Thats one year...its idiotic that you keep bringing up his one MVP season.

Why is it idiotic? You said at Shaq's peak. He was pretty damn good in 1994 and 1995 as well when Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, Mutombo ect.

How about 2001? Some good centers then and Shaq dominated once again.

Quote:
Why dont you bring up when Kareem took overrated and old Oscar Robinson to a title.

Or how about when Shaq dominated in the finals with 38 and 17 on 61% shooting while Kobe was averaging 15.6 ppg on 36.7% shooting? Or how about the fact that in the games Kobe missed during the 2000 season Shaq led the Lakers to a 12-3 record?

Oscar's impact on the 1971 Bucks>>>Kobe's impact on the 2000 Lakers

Quote:
Or all the times Kareem made free throws in the end of games.

So by that logic David Robinson was better than Wilt?

Quote:
Or the fact that Kareem got along with all his teammates while Shaq stays for a year and then throws them under the bus.

So that's why he stayed 8 seasons in Los Angeles?

Quote:
If being better means giving you team the best chance to win thats Kareem. Kareem was a better leader and a better winner.

Better leader yes, better winner well that's debatable. Shaq won 3 titles as the best player on his team, Kareem won 2 as the best player on his team. Kareem does have more rings but 2 have of them came as a 4th option late in his career.

Quote:
Im a Lakers fan and love Shaq

Then stop b*tching about the offensive foul BS

Quote:
, but imo Kareem is one of 3 guys who could be called GOAT.

That's fine and IMO Jordan is the hands down best player but I also believe you could argue anyone of these guys as the second best(Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq and maybe Russell). I said you could make a good argument for kareem over Shaq all-time I just personally believe Shaq was better.

Quote:
Shaq isnt there because he couldnt sustain his play and had to big of a weakness.

So you believe Wilt isn't in the discussion either? Wilt had the same weaknesses Shaq does.

Free throw shooting
Demanding trades
Getting coaches fired

Wilt also had similar longevity to Shaq.

Last edited by VCMVP1551 : 07-07-2008 at 01:33 AM.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 AM   #22
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star
 
1987_Lakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,436
1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Kareem is the 2nd greatest Center of all time behind Wilt Chamberlain. So yes... Kareem is better than Shaq
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #23
Younggrease
Banned
 
Younggrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,767
Younggrease has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
LMAO this garbage again.

A 7'1" 340 pound man is going to knock around a 7'1" 265 pound man in the post. It's common sense. Even if Shaq isn't committing an offensive foul it will look like it with the combination of his huge strength advantage as well as defenders flopping. The refs have been calling Shaq on far too many offensive fouls the last few years(especially 2006-2007).



First of all Mutombo just sticks his face in front of Shaq's elbow as he's making his move. That's Mutombo's fault.

And on the last dunk where Shaq lifts him off the ground there's no foul anywhere in that play.


.

there is no point in discussing bball with you if you dont see offensive fouls on that play with the elbow. You obviously never played ball, and yes it is Mutumbo fault for drawing a charge. Its not his fault they didnt call it. What is he susposed to move out of the way and let Shaq score...Thats his damn spot.

Last edited by Younggrease : 07-07-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #24
Silverbullit
Good college starter
 
Silverbullit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,240
Silverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Shaq probably thinks he is the best player to ever play the game.
Silverbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:16 AM   #25
~LA's fine$t~
WIF Champion
 
~LA's fine$t~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,814
~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
I don't know if Shaq thinks he's better but a case could be made that Shaq better. Kareem had better longevity but I'm not sure if he was ever as good as 2000 or 2001 Shaq. Of course someone could easily make a case for Kareem as well.

No one has ever been as good as a 2000 Shaquille O'Neal in this league, ever.
Not Jordan, not Wilt, not anyone.
~LA's fine$t~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #26
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere
 
chains5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bilbao
Posts: 8,661
chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LA's fine$t~
No one has ever been as good as a 2000 Shaquille O'Neal in this league, ever.
Not Jordan, not Wilt, not anyone.
One season >>> a career?
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #27
Silverbullit
Good college starter
 
Silverbullit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,240
Silverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected posterSilverbullit is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LA's fine$t~
No one has ever been as good as a 2000 Shaquille O'Neal in this league, ever.
Not Jordan, not Wilt, not anyone.

Don't compare players in different positions.
Silverbullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:57 AM   #28
VeeCee15
Great young streetballer
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 569
VeeCee15 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Shaq >> Kareem

Sorry but Kareem cannot dominate like shaq?
Shaq was not against any good centers?

U think one guy no matter who can stop shaq? Shaq would make
bill russell and any other so called "legend" his bytch

You cannot stop Shaq if you put 3 guys on him when he's close to the rim.
VeeCee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #29
Psileas
NBA lottery pick
 
Psileas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Great!
Posts: 5,336
Psileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPsileas is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Quote:
Shaq >> Kareem

Sorry but Kareem cannot dominate like shaq?
Shaq was not against any good centers?

U think one guy no matter who can stop shaq? Shaq would make
bill russell and any other so called "legend" his bytch

You cannot stop Shaq if you put 3 guys on him when he's close to the rim.

Sorry, Russell is as legit a legend as it can be. Nothing "so called".
And anyone who says that Shaq >> any GOAT candidate, should better provide arguments for this, because it sounds totally ridiculous to call any player in history "much greater" than Kareem without evidence...
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #30
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,255
Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Do you think Shaq thinks he's better than Kareem

Shaq is not any better than Kareem Abdul Jabbar.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy