Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
Lotsadimes
I airball my layups

Lotsadimes has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal to have career year

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
Depends on his minutes, if he's playing 35 minutes a game: 18 ppg 9 rpg 3 bpg

if hes playing 30 mpg: 16 ppg 8 rpg 2.5 bpg

he's going to do well there

I agree with those numbers.
Lotsadimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #17
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
Yeah, but Jermaine O'Neal is really a PF. You can play him at Center, sure but he's built more like your typical PF. this however enables, as you know, Bosh to move back to his natural position. Bosh will dominate next season. O'neal will be so-so, that's just my guess.
Yeah I know, but I figure most NBA centers these days aren't really scoring threats, so JO, a dude with center size at 6'11 250, should be able to defend them without too much trouble. Plus we've got Hump and hopefully "Nasty Nate" Jawai to take some of the pressure off of JO.

And it's good to see most people realize that JO doesn't have to score 20 ppg, because his presence will boost Bosh's scoring average by opening up floor space, preventing help defence, and taking some of the defensive load off of Bosh. We could be looking at 25ppg+ for CB4, his scoring averages have gone up every year since he came into the league, and now he has a serious running mate in the frontcourt.

Last edited by A.M.G. : 07-06-2008 at 03:09 PM.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #18
SHEED_ gangsta
I know everything

SHEED_ gangsta has decent reputationSHEED_ gangsta has decent reputation

I think this will resurect JO for sure a new atmosphere, a new city, a better team, playing alongside BOSH. if we don't get banged up like last year (*knocks on wood) the Raptors will be one of the best teams in the East ther's no denying this .
SHEED_ gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #19
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEED_ gangsta
I think this will resurect JO for sure a new atmosphere, a new city, a better team, playing alongside BOSH. if we don't get banged up like last year (*knocks on wood) the Raptors will be one of the best teams in the East ther's no denying this .
Well, injuries are a part of life for almost all NBA teams. Really the Raps didn't do too badly last season, except of course for the TJ injury (****ing retard Al Whoreford). So long as Calderon, JO, and Bosh stay healthy for the most part, we're all grood.

And hopefully we can somehow add an improvement at one of the wing positions, maybe by trading Bargs, but Moon and AP, with Kap providing bench scoring, will suffice for now. And maybe Bargs will improve over the summer so that he can come in and get some scoring done, so we won't have to trade him. If Bargnani starts to deliver on some of that promise he has, maybe we start him at SF some nights and he becomes a 15 ppg guy for us, that could be enough to put the Raptors over the top and become legit contenders to make the ECF and maybe even upset the Celtics.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #20
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

damn i kinda forgot he got traded.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #21
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

I have a hunch that he will be nothing more than a McDyess++.

It's a tough call though. Last year he was really pathetic, also, Indiana's system doesn't seem to fit him quite well.

2 years ago he was still averaging 19, 9, and 2.6 blocks. But, big men tend to fall off more dramatically, even tough he IS only 30 years old.

And yeah, a lot of posters were right in him being there would do wonders for Bosh's numbers and improve interior D by a lot. My only concern is how their games would mesh together, as J.O. has drifted more to the high post which I guess where Bosh is more comfortable as well.

Also, I'd imagine him bricking 60% of his jumpers from the top of the key.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #22
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

Well first of all there is no way he has a career year. At his best he was pretty close to a top 5 player. Now it didn't last long, but when Indy was sick he was their MVP. Just check out his numbers.

I do think that current Jermaine is still good enough to put the Raptors over the top.

You have an improving Calderon, a top 5 PF in Bosh and now Jermaine and you have a mild shot at taking down the Celtics. The Raptors problem has been that they are Bosh and a bunch of top notch roleplayers and that's it. Now they have Calderon who will be a all-star candidate and Jermaine who straight up said he's been resting a lot the past years because of how bad Indy was.

I predict:

16 points 10 rebounds and 2 blocks a game on 47% shooting. That's all the Raptors need. Jermaine will be that 2nd guy that Bosh needs and the toughness on defense that the Raptors have needed for years.

People forget that Jermaine was a DPOY candidate in the past. I'm sure injuries have knocked him down a bit, but I'm betting he improves the Raptors defense tremendously.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #23
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

Get out d'salami has an OK reputation so far

I guess if you look at it from a Raptors point of view, what do they have to lose?

Senario 1:
He returns to form. I am not sugesting his best year ever, simply that he averages a solid 16-18ppg, 8-10rbg and at least 2 bpg. These seem like more than good enough numbers for the team.

Senario 2:
He remains at the current level he played at last year. Which to me seems unlikely since he was still injured and had a hard time getting into to mold. I think he is too good to suck that much. But evenn if he is injured and misses major time "knock on wood," the 24 million next year of the books is acceptable.

Outcome:
This gamble is well worth the two years we might struggle. Our core is still young enough that worst case the Raptors ahve m ajor dollars in 2010 to go after some major players to complete the team. Perhaps if he is doing well even resign Jermaine for a much better deal.

(Sorry if there are any spelling errors i am rushing this before I go to work)
Get out d'salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #24
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
He was drafted in 96... Wasted 4 years in the bench up in Portland. Now he's 29, going 30 this year... Most bigs can be in their prime until the age of 31-32. All Jermaine has to do is work out and lose weight. Should give him that extra bounce he's lost.

16ppg/9rpg/2bpg this year for him.
2 bpg, thats less than the year before which was the worst year of his career
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #25
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't see him averaging more than 16/8. I think they're very respectable and solid numbers for him. Toronto definitly need a solid 2nd option and I think that JO can provide that extra boost. Hopefully this raises Toronto and they aren't a first round exit this year, they could make it to the second round this year.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #26
Denali
Banned

Denali has decent reputation

yeah i think jermaine is gonna be rejuvenated and motivated, i think he just wasnt really happy any longer being in Indiana so he didnt put all his effort into playing and staying healthy/returning from injuries.

'career year' might be a bit optimistic but i expect him to be much more productive than he has in recent seasons
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #27
rknine15
Buckets Baby

rknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat coolrknine15 is considered somewhat cool

16.7ppg 7.5rpg 1.6bpg in 35minutes
rknine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #28
The Bynuminator
I brick open layups

The Bynuminator has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknine15
16.7ppg 7.5rpg 1.6bpg in 35minutes
Can you be more specific please?
The Bynuminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #29
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

J. O'Neal's stats for the upcoming season:

16 ppg, 11 rpg, 2.5 apg, 3 bpg
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #30
lbj4kb8
Decent playground baller

lbj4kb8 has decent reputationlbj4kb8 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get out d'salami
I ask this question in hopes of getting only non-raptor fans opinions. The Toronto Raptors now have Jermaine O’Neil. Do you think he will resurrect his career in Toronto? Or will he become nothing more than another has-been always said to be ‘turn the corner’ but never really reaching it, ALA Stephon Marbury. Also predictions on possible stats would be welcomed especially from any Indiana fans that have the best knowledge to answer this question. Thanks a lot and please only honest and thoughtful answers. Also I would be more than happy to answer any questions in regards to Nest, Ford or Bast (in his one year in TO)

Just out of curiosity, why did you incorrectly spell his name "O'Neil" in the post, yet spelled it correctly "O'Neal" in the title?
lbj4kb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: