Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Get out d'salami
I airball my layups

Default Jermaine O'Neal to have career year

I ask this question in hopes of getting only non-raptor fans opinions. The Toronto Raptors now have Jermaine O’Neil. Do you think he will resurrect his career in Toronto? Or will he become nothing more than another has-been always said to be ‘turn the corner’ but never really reaching it, ALA Stephon Marbury. Also predictions on possible stats would be welcomed especially from any Indiana fans that have the best knowledge to answer this question. Thanks a lot and please only honest and thoughtful answers. Also I would be more than happy to answer any questions in regards to Nest, Ford or Bast (in his one year in TO)
Get out d'salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Default Re: Jermaine O'Neal to have career year

Well, I highly doubt that Jermaine is going to have a career year, I don't think it's unrealistic to project averages close to 15ppg/12rpg/4apg/2bpg with good 1v1 and interior defense. May not be worth $21 million per, but hey.

It should be noted that JO will by no means be the go to guy. That will be Chris Bosh, whose scoring average should go up with space being cleared by JO. It will be JO and CB working as a tandem that will allow this team to win. Of course, those nice averages and twin towers duo don't pan out if JO gets injured, is unmotivated, or has just plain worn down and is no longer anywhere near the talent he once was.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
JPR
Banned

I hope he does for Raptor fans' sake. Nothing would be sweeter than seeing Canada's team win the NBA title and bring the league to a real Global level.

However, I wouldn't be too confident in a guy who has missed a sizeable bulk of games every single season for the past 5 years. Plus he makes $22 million per...he's not exactly what you look for in a player. Especially a player who came to the league when Michael Jordan's Bulls were still winning Championships. He's been around a long, long time. I don't care what his age is. Bottomline is he's been around for 14 years! I don't ever see him matching his current career high numbers. He's got too much wear and tear on his body to ever reach that level again. I don't care who he's playing next to.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
DreamYaoTmac5
Banned

Career year in what?

Games played?
DreamYaoTmac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

I'd project a year of 16/8.5/2.5 blocks if healthy. He's a career 46% shooter, not sure if he's suited to play the center position permanently.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I'm just glad the Cavs didn't get him. Too big of a question mark. Obviously, the upside is high if it works out, but the odds of that happening are low. He's 30 years old, and like was mentioned, has been in the league a very long time, so probably has the body/game of a 32-33 year old.

Maybe it works out for him in Toronto. Him and Bosh could be a monster duo together, but he hasn't been able to put it all together for a few years now, as the injuries have derailed him. At this point, would be a better no.2/3 option than a no.1
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

With Bosh likely to remain the focus of the offense he probably won't. But if he's excited about being a Raptor and works hard on his body, he could be as good as ever, if not better. Along with getting into top shape, he needs for the Raptors as a team to focus on improving defensively. If he gets Camby'd and becomes the only guy working hard on D then trading for him won't make much difference for TO, but if Bosh puts his athleticism to better use and the wings focus more on the defensive end (I don't think Calderon will be a good defender no matter what he does) TO could be a very good team.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
JayGuevara
Hellbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
Especially a player who came to the league when Michael Jordan's Bulls were still winning Championships. He's been around a long, long time. I don't care what his age is. Bottomline is he's been around for 14 years! I don't ever see him matching his current career high numbers. He's got too much wear and tear on his body to ever reach that level again. I don't care who he's playing next to.

AI and Kobe seem to be doing okay still. Marcus Camby and Ray Allen are still producing too. Not to mention Steve Nash and Peja.

But, Tony Delk, Antoine and Samaki Walker, Kerry Kittles, and Shareef Abdur Rahim may point to the contrary.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Depends on his minutes, if he's playing 35 minutes a game: 18 ppg 9 rpg 3 bpg

if hes playing 30 mpg: 16 ppg 8 rpg 2.5 bpg

he's going to do well there
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
usdmef9
Celtics-Bears-Dodgers

No matter how much he puts up just being out there will take alot of pressure and help defense off of Bosh which in turn will help Bosh's game like how Amare was able to do alot more once they got Shaq.
usdmef9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
I hope he does for Raptor fans' sake. Nothing would be sweeter than seeing Canada's team win the NBA title and bring the league to a real Global level.

However, I wouldn't be too confident in a guy who has missed a sizeable bulk of games every single season for the past 5 years. Plus he makes $22 million per...he's not exactly what you look for in a player. Especially a player who came to the league when Michael Jordan's Bulls were still winning Championships. He's been around a long, long time. I don't care what his age is. Bottomline is he's been around for 14 years! I don't ever see him matching his current career high numbers. He's got too much wear and tear on his body to ever reach that level again. I don't care who he's playing next to.
Come on, there is no way this Raptors team will win the title this year. I will honestly be satisfied with getting out of the first round this year. Then again, if JO is back up to being a near 20 and 10 guy this year, the Raptors could be the team that loses to the Celtics in the ECF this year.

People should realize that JO might be the best center the Raptors have ever had, even though he's more of a PF. I mean they had Marcus Camby very briefly, broken down 40-year old Hakeem Olajuwon, Rasho Nesterovic. Basically, our best "center" ever, or at least the one we have had the most success with up to this point, was Antonio Davis, a 6'9 PF.

Last edited by A.M.G. : 07-06-2008 at 03:59 PM.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
DOUBLE DRIBBLE
Legend

Jermaine is broke down mayne..... he aint finna do shlt.
DOUBLE DRIBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #13
JPR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
Come on, there is no way this Raptors will win the title this year. I will honestly be satisfied with getting out of the first round this year. If JO is back up to being a near 20 and 10 guy this year, the Raptors could be the team that loses to the Celtics in the ECF this year.

People should realize that JO might be the best center the Raptors have ever had, I mean they had Marcus Camby very briefly, broken down 40-year old Hakeem Olajuwon, Rasho Nesterovic. Basically, our best center ever, or at least the one we have had the most success with up to this point, was Antonio Davis, a 6'9 PF.

Yeah, but Jermaine O'Neal is really a PF. You can play him at Center, sure but he's built more like your typical PF. this however enables, as you know, Bosh to move back to his natural position. Bosh will dominate next season. O'neal will be so-so, that's just my guess.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR

He was drafted in 96... Wasted 4 years in the bench up in Portland. Now he's 29, going 30 this year... Most bigs can be in their prime until the age of 31-32. All Jermaine has to do is work out and lose weight. Should give him that extra bounce he's lost.

16ppg/9rpg/2bpg this year for him.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #15
DOUBLE DRIBBLE
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
Yeah, but Jermaine O'Neal is really a PF. You can play him at Center, sure but he's built more like your typical PF. this however enables, as you know, Bosh to move back to his natural position. Bosh will dominate next season. O'neal will be so-so, that's just my guess.
Hopefully Bosh can benefit from it.
DOUBLE DRIBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: