Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Sixers chasing Josh Smith

Quote:
But neither Brand nor Davis is the target of the Philadelphia 76ers. That distinction remains Smithís. And while you were sleeping just after midnight, 76ers president Ed Stefanski, according to one of my well-placed spies, was on the phone with Smithís representatives making sure that they were headed to the City of Brotherly Love as soon as possible.

My spy (who said no call from the Hawks came after midnight) insists that Philly wants Smith to visit as early as Wednesday morning. That would make clear their intentions where Smith is concerned.

The Hawks and Smithís reps are still slated to meet this afternoon (my spy didnít know where the meeting was slated to go down but Iím working on it). But I would imagine the tenor of that meeting could change dramatically, at least for Smithís camp, knowing that itís just the first stop on a mini-tour that includes a stop in Philly.

Good teams donít wait around until May to decide who they like, theyíve usually done their homework on a player and his situation long before they make the move it appears the 76ers are about to make.

from the Atlanta Journal Constitution

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sha...1/1201_am.html

Of course everyone wants Brand here, but how do people feel about smith? I love the player. I just don't think he fits a need here (outside shooting, command a double team in the post, half court offense). He seems like Andre Iguodala in Thaddeus Young's body. But if the Sixers got away with playing Young and Evans at the pf all season long, I could definately see Smith there. Thoughts?
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Josh Smith set to meet with Sixers this week

That would be fun.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

If we cant land Brand... I'd accept Smith, even though he gives us more of what we have.... We'd still need a half court game and Smith wont help that
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
If we cant land Brand... I'd accept Smith, even though he gives us more of what we have.... We'd still need a half court game and Smith wont help that
I feel the same way. If we're going to sign a FA and can't get Brand then yes, I'd take Smith. There's always sign-and-trade, but I'm not sure what good pf's are available...especially ones that would give us more than Smith.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #5
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far

Atlanta really has nothing to worry about, Most Philly can offer is like a starting salary of like 10 million..

All they have do is simply MATCH.
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm not sure I understand why Stefanski is so high on Josh. I can think of 2-3 players (other than Brand) available in free agency that fit better the sixers. Smith is a terrific young player, but I just don't see him filling many needs in Philly.

I honestly hope Philadelphia doesn't gets Smith unless it's a bargain and it leaves some cap space to get another player -in which case Atlanta would simply match-, cause with Smith aboard Sixers would still be needing another significant addition.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

atlanta's strategy should be to let some team throw him an offer and then match it.

cause you KNOW smith's agent is hoping for max deal with max raises from the hawks, something other teams can't come close to.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #8
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

We'd be defensive beasts but doesn't really provide the post scoring needed. But defense still win games. i'd be happy.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Iggy and Smith on the same team would def. put people in the arena
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

if the sixers get smith they will play him @ pf

miller
iggy
thad
smith
dalembert

this would definitely be a top 5 defensive team. but not many scoring options.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Part of this is kind of good, because Smith has had a bad attitude in the past from time to time.

Nevertheless, he improved a lot this year, and the playoff experience will prove to be invaluable.

If Smith leaves, that will only happen if the Sixers offer one of their top young players in return, since the Hawks have the right to match any offer.

More than likely, Smith will stay at around 5 years, $70 million.
hawkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Iggy and Smith on the same team would def. put people in the arena

That should have happened, but the Hawks picked Childress over Iggy the year they picked Smith.

The Hawks passed on Paul, Iggy, Roy.
hawkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sixers would be the GSW of the East if they landed Josh Smith. Josh can finish plays that Reggie botches (still love dude game tho). So it would be exciting, high scoring similar to GSW is. That said? Josh doesnt improve things the Sixers lack. I'm not really rooting for a signing.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Imagine Andre Miller on the break with Iggy on the left Carney on his right and Josh smith trailing. He could throw the ball to the moon. One of them is gonna go get it.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I say make a run at Baron Davis.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: