Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
Prancing_Tim
I brick open layups

Prancing_Tim has an OK reputation so far
Default Ray Allen vs. Josh Smith vs. Shawn Marion

Who is the better player? Allen is an unbelievable shooter and good scorer, Smith is extremely athletic and a great shot-blocker, and Marion can score and rebound well.

Who would you rather have?
Prancing_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
tontoz
NBA rookie of the year

tontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this boardtontoz is popular on this board
Default Re: Ray Allen vs. Josh Smith vs. Shawn Marion

Strange comparison. Ray has nothing in common with the other two other than he plays the same sport.

As far as Smith goes he is still a work in progress and probably needs a strong coach in order to really excel because he can be his own worst enemy at times.

Like last night he was clowning the Magic by taking it to the basket in the first half. So what does he do in the second half? Jack up jumpers. He is one of the worst jump shooters in the league but he keeps putting them up there.

He has taken over 230 3s the last two seasons. He shot 25% last year and is shooting 25% this year. At some point you have to accept that you aren't a shooter.

On the plus side he is posting up for the first time this year and has had some success with it, although he still has a ways to go.

Smith isn't nearly as good on the boards as Marion. He doesnt box out well on the defensive glass and doesn't hit the offensive glass enough because he hangs out on the perimeter too much.

He isn't as quick as Marion and can't really defend 3s for that reason. Marion can defend multiple positions.

One thing about Smith though is that he is the best i have ever seen at getting blocks on the opponents fast break. Easily.
tontoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
bomber
Good college starter

bomber has decent reputationbomber has decent reputation

Yeah two athletic lanky 3's that play a lot of 4 and a straight 2 who is a lethal shooter?

Gerald Wallace would be a good sub for Ray.

But anyways, Ray Allen. He is capable of being a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option, is more proven and a more reliable scorer.

Marion and Smith are really, really, nice 3rd wheels.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prancing_Tim
Who is the better player? Allen is an unbelievable shooter and good scorer, Smith is extremely athletic and a great shot-blocker, and Marion can score and rebound well.

Who would you rather have?
It's a funny question because each of them excels in different areas.

I would rather have what my team needs. If my team need a sharpshooter to spread the floor, there's no sense in picking Marion. If my teams need defense and boards, Ray Ray can't provide that. Josh Smith is still young and if you're building a young core I'd pick him over Marion and Ray Ray but if you're a playoff team seriously contending for a title, Josh Smith might not be the right choice.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Spudjjay
Shining on em

Spudjjay has an incredible reputation hereSpudjjay has an incredible reputation hereSpudjjay has an incredible reputation hereSpudjjay has an incredible reputation hereSpudjjay has an incredible reputation hereSpudjjay has an incredible reputation hereSpudjjay has an incredible reputation hereSpudjjay has an incredible reputation here

Marion>J.Smith>>Ray Allen
Spudjjay is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: