Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
Lakers Fan
High School Varsity 12th Man

Lakers Fan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Is there any color analyst better than Van Gundy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZARRO
IMO JVG makes ridiculous statements, bad exaagerations and judgements, and tries hard to be funny (often not) where he distracts from the game.
Just awful, and it is surprising to me y'all like him so much.

You must be listening to someone else? JVG never "tries hard" to be funny. You must be thinking of someone else. JVG never tries to hit you over the head with a sledgehammer in the humor department like a lot of other commentators do.
Lakers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan
You must be listening to someone else? JVG never "tries hard" to be funny. You must be thinking of someone else. JVG never tries to hit you over the head with a sledgehammer in the humor department like a lot of other commentators do.
exactly, his subtly is what makes him great.
rezznor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #18
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

JVG is fantastic. Hilarious and smart.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Dasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDasher is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Most of the JVG hate comes from guys who have either fanboy crushes or schoolgirl hate for certain players. He is good but I will always be partial to Bill Walton. "Throw it down, big man throw it down"! Is the GOAT catch phrase.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #20
BIZARRO
Local High School Star

BIZARRO has decent reputationBIZARRO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan

It is just my opinion.

I often hear JVG try to force comedy and it is awkward. All that self-deprecation and talking about himself in general takes away from the game IMO.

They are like the NBA version of MNFootball only better. I swear ESPN must tell their conmentators to talk a lot about themselves.

But anyway, we just disagree. One man's force is another man comedy.
BIZARRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #21
BIZARRO
Local High School Star

BIZARRO has decent reputationBIZARRO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Most of the JVG hate comes from guys who have either fanboy crushes or schoolgirl hate for certain players. He is good but I will always be partial to Bill Walton. "Throw it down, big man throw it down"! Is the GOAT catch phrase.

I think Walton sucks too.

Good:
Stockton
Brown
Collins
Marv
Kerr

Bad:
Jackson
Van Gundy
Walton
Miller

Okay:
Snapper
Fratello

I am just not a fan of these commetators who make ridiculous exaagerated statements like Walton and JVG; it is too jokey and takes away from the game IMO.

Once again, it is subjective.
BIZARRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #22
Mateo
Local High School Star

Mateo has not been impressing people

Jackson brings him down though. Jackson has about 5 things he says, all of which are cliches, over and over.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #23
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZARRO
I disagree with all of you. I think JVG is brutal, as is Jackson, and ABC's broadcast in general.

IMO JVG makes ridiculous statements, bad exaagerations and judgements, and tries hard to be funny (often not) where he distracts from the game.
Just awful, and it is surprising to me y'all like him so much.

Give me Doug Collins or Hubie Brown anyday.
Agreed.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #24
iamgine

iamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation here

Bill Walton is the best. I remember watching games and thinking, "I want whatever he's smoking." This guy can turn a yes/no question into a six minute monologue and in the end we all forget what the question was.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #25
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I like JVG but Walt Frazier is a better color commentator for me.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #26
imlmf
Banned

imlmf has decent reputationimlmf has decent reputation

jvg the best
imlmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #27
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I'm a fan, but there are several I prefer over him for the following reasons:

Hubie Brown - Talks like the NBA is a fraternity. Always using possessive nouns like "we" and phrases "that we got." Makes it feel very exclusive and something I want to join.

Walt Clyde Frazier - The best ever. No question.

Ian Eagle and Kelly Trepuika - Best combo ever when they were around

Jay Bilas - Always fun to listen to. Breaks the game down methodically delivers very succinct points.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #28
w00terz
FACT

w00terz is considered somewhat coolw00terz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by June1026
I like JVG as a commentator, but I think he should go back to coaching, a team like the Nuggets could really use him.

Real talk.
w00terz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #29
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

i cant stand JVG. he makes the most pointless, stupid comments.

when JT was wavin his arms tryin to pump up the crowd today, he was like "I dont get why players do that, blah blah blah." he always makes stupid comments like that which he thinks is funny, but their not.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #30
TruthKGRay3412
HANNN

TruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterTruthKGRay3412 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Where am I in this conversation?*Throws hands up in shame*

TruthKGRay3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: