Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Fans voting for dunk contest, in retrospec

At first, I was against the idea of fans voting for the dunk champion. Now that I think about it, it probably is better. Sure the fans may screw up at some time, but then again, so have the judges selected by the nba. The difference that makes voting better now is that there isn't scores for individual dunks that take place in the final round.

Example of why this could be better: Say somebody in the first round absolutely dominates the competition while another player was far inferior, but barely beat out the other two contestants. In the final round, the playing field shouldn't be even, but rather the one dunker that dominated the first round should have a major edge. Using the old judging method, the guy that barely squeaked into the final round could beat the other guy by 1 point and be declared champion, even though the one guy gave an overall better performance if you count the first round. Having fan votes makes it so they can vote how gave the overall better performance rather than just the last 2 dunks.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

MTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMTing is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Fans voting for dunk contest, in retrospec

I thought fan were voting both rounds.
Then it would be a mess and a popularity contest.

It turned out pretty good
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
grimreaper1377
Local High School Star

grimreaper1377 has an OK reputation so far

they did it so that the fans wouldn't complain

last year, 100% of the fans complained that dwight should have won
this year, 22% of the fans complained that green should have won

100% --> 22% in one year. not bad.
grimreaper1377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

LBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected poster

The only regret I have about fans voting, is that last night, Dwight most likely would have gotten straight 50's and been the only one to do that. The fan voting may have ruined how great his performance really was.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board

The White Howard didn't have to make any dunks in the final round and he still would have won by a wide margin. He basically won the contest in the first round (really just showing up).

If it was down to Moon and G. Green, we would have really seen what the fans thought.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
The only regret I have about fans voting, is that last night, Dwight most likely would have gotten straight 50's and been the only one to do that. The fan voting may have ruined how great his performance really was.

I don't think his last dunk deserved a 50. Maybe a 46.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
evinecz
Banned

evinecz has an OK reputation so far

evinecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinecz

I see your point.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

LBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I don't think his last dunk deserved a 50. Maybe a 46.
It's true that it didnt deserve a 50, but the judges probably would have gave him a 50.
Quote:
I see your point.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Unreal Skill
Love me or Hate me

Unreal Skill has an OK reputation so far

I hate it, you do one crazy dunk or something that is outrageous like dressing like the superman and it's all over. Other dunks that were just as good were overshadowed.

Dunk contest is turning into a popularity contest.
Unreal Skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #11
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal Skill
I hate it, you do one crazy dunk or something that is outrageous like dressing like the superman and it's all over. Other dunks that were just as good were overshadowed.

Agreed 50%.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
The Ownage
Local High School Star

The Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat coolThe Ownage is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I see your point.
The Ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Fans voting is never a good idea. It just turns things into a popularity contest.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #14
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal Skill

I personally think Dwight's 1st dunk of the final round was the best dunk of the night. I hope it doesn't turn into a popularity contest, but its hard to tell if that is what happened because Dwight did deserve to win regardless of the Superman dunk, IMO.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
darabzarrabi
High School JV MVP

darabzarrabi has decent reputation

I really liked Dwights dunks, but I think the superman and the ball on hte mini basket were a little too proppy (along with the blowing out the cupcake)...but if this brings the dunk contest back to the main stage I guess its a good thing for all star weekend...personally I like the cupcake dunk by gerald and the ally-oop through the legs over the backboard was a very underrated dunk
darabzarrabi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: