Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Sheed and wife would rather be in the Bahamas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
A lot of money comes from TV, but you're understimating the prices the fans pay. Fans have to pay for the ticket(s), parking, food, and gas. Some fans travel over an hour and just about all have to travel at least 20 minutes.

Assume the average fan travels 30 minutes to the stadium. That's an hour total and probably a quarter tank of gas. That's at least $10 worth of gas. Tickets cost probably $50 each. If you buy 2, that's $100. Figure $20 for food and another $10 for parking.

$10+ $100+ $20+ $10= $140x 20,000= $2,800,000 per game. The price may vary since some travel less than others and some may choose to eat at home. Don't forget the outrageous prices of beer either. Also, take the $2,800,000 and multiply it by 41 home games. That comes out to $114,800,000.

fans don't pay gas to the franchise, nor to the arena, you know?

also, arenas cost a hell to maintain.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #17
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
fans don't pay gas to the franchise, nor to the arena, you know?

also, arenas cost a hell to maintain.

They may not pay gas to the team, but it still comes out of the fans' pockets. It will cost a bit less since I added the gas price by mistake, but the beer prices will make up the difference for the most part. Without fans, you have no team.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #18
Vendetta
Banned

Vendetta has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Gate receipts are not what makes a players salary. Players get their salary from the TV contract within their media market.

And the TV contract exists because... oh wait.

If you don't think that Sheed's pockets are getting lined because fans consume his product, you're delusional.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

ChrisConley has an OK reputation so far

yo i'm pissed because i think he shouldn't have been picked to replace garnett. i think there are more deserving players watching from the sidelines or from home, wishing they could be a f@cking NBA ALL STAR, and sheed has to go and act disappointed that he's there!? They get the whole f@cking summer off to lounge in the bahamas!!
ChrisConley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #20
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
They may not pay gas to the team, but it still comes out of the fans' pockets. It will cost a bit less since I added the gas price by mistake, but the beer prices will make up the difference for the most part. Without fans, you have no team.

of course, but still, nowadays TV rights and merchandise make much more profit than tickets and arena itself.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #21
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

Bad decision by the NBA to name Sheed as the replacement. Not only did he not want to be in it, but Hedo Turkoglu was more deserving as an East forward. Anyway, the NBA should have known it would bring bad publicity because Sheed had said before he got selected that he would not want to play in the ASG. Now he says that he got sidetracked (with this all-star selection) from being in the Bahamas. Bad bad publicity for the NBA. You got it wrong, Mr. Stern.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #22
Phesto
Fire BC! Hire GG!

Phesto has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisConley
yo i'm pissed because i think he shouldn't have been picked to replace garnett. i think there are more deserving players watching from the sidelines or from home, wishing they could be a f@cking NBA ALL STAR, and sheed has to go and act disappointed that he's there!? They get the whole f@cking summer off to lounge in the bahamas!!

So Sheed should act giddy because some other player wishes they could be there? Good logic.

Why don't you piss and moan about the league picking him as he's undeserving (in your opinion) instead of complaining about his reaction?
Phesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #23
e20dyl4n
Local High School Star

e20dyl4n has an OK reputation so far

sheed is nothing but a selfish punk
e20dyl4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #24
Allstar24
NBA lottery pick

Allstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation hereAllstar24 has an incredible reputation here

Why did Stern pick Rasheed to replace KG? As much as I love to watch him play, he clearly doesn't want to be here so Stern should have picked someone who cares enough to play at the ASG
Allstar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #25
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesto
So Sheed should act giddy because some other player wishes they could be there? Good logic.

Why don't you piss and moan about the league picking him as he's undeserving (in your opinion) instead of complaining about his reaction?

i thought i was in my last post. i'll clarify: piss piss moan the league shouldn't have picked him piss moan moan.

you're right tho. sheed's bahama plans were ruined by the nba and this stupid f@ckin all-star event. i now feel sorry for him. gtfo!

who the f@ck in the history of the world b!tches about being in an all-star game?! who!? b!tchass sheed wallace that's who. it sucks b/c i really liked him after he left portland, and started turning his image around. i'm pissed as a fan of his.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #26
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

Sheed's the most talented role player in the history of the league. He doesn't care about personal stats or awards, all he cares about is winning basketball games. The All-Star game is an individual award and has nothing to do with winning, therefore he doesn't care about it.

If that offends you, so be it. Personally I'd much rather have a guy like Sheed on my team than someone who's obsessed with personal accolades.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #27
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPower
Sheed's the most talented role player in the history of the league. He doesn't care about personal stats or awards, all he cares about is winning basketball games. The All-Star game is an individual award and has nothing to do with winning, therefore he doesn't care about it.

If that offends you, so be it. Personally I'd much rather have a guy like Sheed on my team than someone who's obsessed with personal accolades.

you have to be kidding me. did i say he's not a talented role player and i wouldn't want him on my team!? i'm a f@cking fan of his. nevermind let's drop it. absolute idiots responding to this. i have yet to hear a valid argument supporting sheed for publicly b!tching about being on the all-star team. i don't expect one or even think it's possible. just commenting on how bullsh!t his attitude is. f@cking brat. and i'm actually shocked people are defending his response, especially trying to act like it was a noble "anti-accolade, true team player" sentiment. *vomit*
Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #28
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far

As a Pistons and Sheed fan, I was bummed for him when I heard the news too. He has to take the spot of his main competition (KG - Boston) because KG can't play. Well, we all know KG's injury isn't that serious and Rivers is holding him out as mostly a precautionary move.

For those of you so upset about Rasheed not wanting to be in the All-Star game, you should be equally upset that KG won't man up and play in it when the fans voted him 1st overall...
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #29
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What doesn't make sense to me is that the All Star game isn't work. It's a celebration.

You get to hang out all weekend with other great players, friends, celebrities, partying, club hopping, etc. And at the same time, add to your All Star resume and make more money.

Isn't that better than hanging out in Bahamas, which you can do all offseason? Weird.....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #30
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
What doesn't make sense to me is that the All Star game isn't work. It's a celebration.

You get to hang out all weekend with other great players, friends, celebrities, partying, club hopping, etc. And at the same time, add to your All Star resume and make more money.

Isn't that better than hanging out in Bahamas, which you can do all offseason? Weird.....

Let's say you bag groceries for a living. You're very good at it, but you go all over the country for most of the year bagging people's groceries. In your spare time, you're required to do media appearances, charity work, and discuss the eggs you broke (over and over) at your last event, as well as why you always double-bag the milk.

During your one free week in the past 6 months, would you rather take a break on a tropical island or go on an even bigger stage and keep bagging groceries? I'm sure you love your job and all, but I don't think it's a stretch to say you might want to spend that week in the Bahamas with your family instead...
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: