Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #31
Created Player
Banned

Created Player has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The Los Angeles Lakers are in a fiscal albatross

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
They have bird rights to every player, so it shouldn't be too hard keeping the players they want to keep. Jerry Buss isn't cheap, so I'm sure he'd be willing to be spending some money as long as his team is contending. The profit made should be enough to cover any pending luxury taxes (or at least a portion of it).
I know they have bird rights on their players. But you're assuming this group is good enough to do anything substantial. This is my point.

If this current Laker team isn't good enough to win at a championship level, THEY HAVE NO FLEXIBILTY TO MAKE THE IMPACT CHANGES NEEDED TO GET THERE.

But once again, I fear I'm ahead of my time on this issue. Most of you can't grasp what I'm saying, so I'll just have to bump this thread in a year or so.
Created Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #32
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
true. I guess hes willing to go into cap territory, but there is no way they can sign a free agent if they wanted to. of course odom has value and so does walton so they could always rig a SnTif necc. clearly the OP is a little off his meds

True, but in reality they won't need to hand out any huge contracts. Assuming they keep their core together (Kobe, Pau, Bynum) there shouldn't be any problem signing middle-tier talent to mid-level money.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #33
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Created Player
I know they have bird rights on their players. But you're assuming this group is good enough to do anything substantial. This is my point.

If this current Laker team isn't good enough to win at a championship level, THEY HAVE NO FLEXIBILTY TO MAKE THE IMPACT CHANGES NEEDED TO GET THERE.

But once again, I fear I'm ahead of my time on this issue. Most of you can't grasp what I'm saying, so I'll just have to bump this thread in a year or so.

Their players, although nothing special (besides the obvious ones) would give them plenty of flexibility since teams would be willing to trade with them. It's pretty simple.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #34
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Most of you can't grasp what I'm saying, so I'll just have to bump this thread in a year or so.

So you're basically Knoe Itawl. Yep, you're knoe itawl.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #35
Created Player
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan
The Lakers salary drops to $55 million in 09/10, how the hell do we come up with $90 million in player salaries! Even with Bynum's max and extra cash for Farmar and Turiaf the next year????? WTF!?! Odom isn't going to ask for a max deal!
See, posts like these exemplify why I'm me, and alot of you are you.

I just laud everything out in the first post, but this dude (and others) still can't get it.

But I'm the one that's trolling.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #36
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

That right there is a pretty big assumption ok? It is true that they are in a slightly fiscal problem, but since when has the Lakers ever run out of money?

Don't you see? You are seeing one side of the coin, that the Lakers with Gasol will stink and be stuck in a salary cap nightmare (which I believe some posters have already disproved, cannot be too sure though) when you don't see that the Lakers with Gasol will become a championship team and will get millions and use those earnings to cover the salary costs.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #37
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Not a good time for Laker Land, IMO.

You guys heard it here first. If the Lakers don't win a championship or two in the next 5 or so years, the reason will be that they are in a "fiscal albatross" and that it wasn't a "good time for Laker Land."
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #38
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
See, posts like these exemplify why I'm me, and alot of you are you.

I just laud everything out in the first post, but this dude (and others) still can't get it.

But I'm the one that's trolling.

You're a troll because all you comment on has something to do with Lebron's legacy, Kobe or the Lakers. You're a troll because you think Lebron and Hughes> Jordan and Pippen. You're a troll because you think it's not ridicilous to compare Lebron to MJ. Want more?
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #39
Created Player
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
Their players, although nothing special (besides the obvious ones) would give them plenty of flexibility since teams would be willing to trade with them. It's pretty simple.
Who'd be willing to trade for Walton and Vlad when their 6 million contracts run through '13 and '11?

If they're not good enough to play for LA, nobody else would want them either. Or if they did take them, the Lakers would probably be forced to add even more salary to their payroll.

Again, see the Knicks for example. This is a carbon-copy of that situation.

dejordan, I don't consider the Heat "buying" a ring. Other than Shaq, all their players were older, proven guys signed on short-term contracts. Lakers on the other hand, are making huge financial investment with unproven young guys with no championship-level background.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #40
rs98762001
Great young streetballer

rs98762001 has an OK reputation so far

Help! I'm in a fiscal albatross and I can't get out.
rs98762001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #41
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Who'd be willing to trade for Walton and Vlad when their 6 million contracts run through '13 and '11?

If they're not good enough to play for LA, nobody else would want them either. Or if they did take them, the Lakers would probably be forced to add even more salary to their payroll.

Again, see the Knicks for example. This is a carbon-copy of that situation.

dejordan, I don't consider the Heat "buying" a ring. Other than Shaq, all their players were older, proven guys signed on short-term contracts. Lakers on the other hand, are making huge financial investment with unproven young guys with no championship-level background.
what are you talking about? riley completely blew up the heat to bring in a bunch of expensive vets to go after a ring. their rotation when they won the chip was jwill, glove, flash, toine, posey, haslem, mourning, shaq. everyone except haslem and wade joined the team that year or the year before and few if any were on expiring deals.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #42
shok
Decent playground baller

shok has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Expiring contract or not, who would've thought Kwame Brown, Javaris, + picks for Pau Gasol.

The difference between the two teams are much more gaping than you lead on. The Knicks took on salaries that produced little to nothing notable; and are in fact still cellar dwellers.

The Lakers are winning and giving teams a hard time--something the Knicks never accomplished in the Isiah-era.
shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #43
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

I can't help but laugh at this thread.
The Knicks gave bad contracts to useless players. The Lakers give decent contracts to useful players.
Also, the Lakers are the biggest franchise in the NBA. Just like the Knicks, they have NO problem spending $90 million on salaries.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:28 PM   #44
Phenomenon
Ball Above All

Phenomenon has an OK reputation so far

I don't know what's funnier, his idiotic post on the Laker franchise or him using the words "fiscal albatross" by trying to disguise his horrible views on the game of basketball so that he comes off as being intelligent.

Only thing you're good at on this forum is polishing LeBron's fun stick.
Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 PM   #45
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
miami 2006.
lol QFT. You need to spend to win doesnt work all the time but most chamoionship teams spent lots of moolah to get were they were.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: