Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-06-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Created Player
Banned

Created Player has an OK reputation so far
Default The Los Angeles Lakers are in a fiscal albatross

This team is basically the New York Knicks of the Western Conference. They have no leeway for long-term personnel maneuverability or potential cap space. No quality depth or the room to add it. They're paying big money to players who occupy the same position.

This team is a mess.

You may not realize it, but that's not my fault.

Think about this:

As of today, they have three max players (Odom, Kobe, Gasol) with more than two years left on their contract, and Bynum is a mere 15 months away from being up for a max extension.

Plus, the Lakers have a team option on Farmer for the '09/10 season. If he's really a big part of your future, the Lakers probably should offer him a new deal instead of exercising that miniscule 2 million dollar option, cause the next year he becomes a restricted free agent. Why take the chance of him feeling unappreciated when you could sign him at first instance?

And of even more immediacy are the contract situations of Vujacic and Turiaf. They are restricted and unrestricted free agents this offseason. Are they going to re-up them too? When the Lakers play well, they seem to be a major reason why.

Big decisions there.

Now if the max Bynum and re-sign Farmer and Vujacic by the end of next summer, that puts their payroll close to 90 million, and that's assuming the Lakers let Odom completely walk after the last year of his deal.

But where's the overall depth?

Going into the '09/10 season, you'd have 90 mill invested in your top-7 salary guys (Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Farmer, Fisher, Vlad, Walton) that doesn't include any role playing big men off the bench.

Again, Turiaf is a free agent after this year, but will the Lakers sign him? How much do you commit to him? And even if you re-sign him, is that enough quality big man depth for a championship level team? Remember they don't have draft picks to fill that 'developmental' slot that Phil Jackson likes to put his rookies in.

Basically what I'm saying is that things are not as rosy as Laker fans make it out to be. The over-bloated contracts of Walton and Vlad will just kill this team for the next four or five years. Unless they unload them for expirers (unlikely), then they will take away salary slots for young players, like Farmer and Ariza, who are currently producing major results in the rotation.

And trading for Gasol effectively takes away any wiggle room for the Lakers to add impact big guys off the bench.

Not a good time for Laker Land, IMO.

Last edited by Created Player : 02-06-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Created Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The Los Angeles Lakers are in a fiscal albatross

Why oh why did I view this post?

"This message is hidden because Created Player is on your ignore list." was better than reading that trash.

Shoo, jealous LeBron-fanboi. You're not funny any more.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The first sentence was enough for me to stop reading; NY Knicks are way below .500 while LA Lakers are way above .500.

Anyways, keep posting stupid stuff if you must.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I see what your saying.

But dude....it's freaking worth it. The Lakers are stacked right now this season.
Yes they will probably lose a couple players in the upcoming years...but if they keep the core of Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol trust all will be all right.

I'd like to try and keep Turiaf, Lamar, Farmar etc. and we will find ways to keep some of them....but with bynum just getting better with Kobe and Gasol in thier primes for the next three or four years that adds up to multiple title shots.

So a bad time in Lakerland? I think not.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
This team is basically the New York Knicks of the Western Conference. They have no leeway for long-term personnel maneuverability or potential cap space. No quality depth or the room to add it. They're paying big money to players who occupy the same position.

This team is a mess.

Welcome to the Business World.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
The Los Angeles Lakers are in a fiscal albatross
WTF? You need to take an 'English as a Second Language' class.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
The first sentence was enough for me to stop reading; NY Knicks are way below .500 while LA Lakers are way above .500.

Anyways, keep posting stupid stuff if you must.
indeed. although he does bring up a valid point (lakers are pretty inflexible from here on out and may not be able to keep all their youngins down the strech), starting it off like that was recockulous.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

They maybe tied down finacially like the Knicks long time but that's were the similarities end.

Phill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Isiah

KoBe>>>>>>>>>>the whole Knicks team
Gasol>>>>>Curry and Zbo
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Not a good time for Laker Land, IMO.

Not a good time? LOL.

Our only player in the 30's is Fisher.

Fisher(33), Farmar( 22)
Kobe(29), Ariza( 23)
Odom(27), Radmanovic(28)
Gasol(28), Turiaf(25)
Bynum(20)

What will we do? Our roster is not only one of the most talented teams in the league and has so much depth but we're also young. I feel like we're gonna suffer watching this team. Not only that but we have Phil, his experience is not needed. Like even with our MLE? Players are not known to accept cheaper contracts to play for contenders ala Malone, Payton, Posey etc so I don't know what we will do. I wonder what Phil wants more? Draft picks or success? I really don't know considering he has a hard time playing rookies.

Enough with my sarcasm. You really are a joke. Lakers could have gotten KG for DJ Mbenga and draft picks and you would still find something bad about it.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #10
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
indeed. although he does bring up a valid point (lakers are pretty inflexible from here on out and may not be able to keep all their youngins down the strech), starting it off like that was recockulous.

They have bird rights to every player, so it shouldn't be too hard keeping the players they want to keep. Jerry Buss isn't cheap, so I'm sure he'd be willing to be spending some money as long as his team is contending. The profit made should be enough to cover any pending luxury taxes (or at least a portion of it).
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #11
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

At first I read the tital as The Pheonix Suns are in a fiscal albatross, maybe because it would make a little more sense.
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #12
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

I don't get it. Even with Pau Gasol, the Lakers only have the 9th highest payroll in the NBA. What is the salary cap/luxury tax level this season? The Lakers are sitting at $71 mil right now.

By the time their "youngsters" are up for a new contract, Odom's $14 million will be off the books. Looking at their numbers, the only really bad salary they have is VRad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Created Player
Banned

Created Player has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
I see what your saying.

But dude....it's freaking worth it. The Lakers are stacked right now this season.
Yes they will probably lose a couple players in the upcoming years...but if they keep the core of Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol trust all will be all right.

I'd like to try and keep Turiaf, Lamar, Farmar etc. and we will find ways to keep some of them....but with bynum just getting better with Kobe and Gasol in thier primes for the next three or four years that adds up to multiple title shots.

So a bad time in Lakerland? I think not.
It's not worth it. A team with no plan is a team with no future.

First off, people don't even know for sure how this team will gel. Nobody knows if they are good enough to win at a high level for an extended period of time. Yeah, people assume, but that's not good enough.

The Lakers FO has taken a blind stab in the dark. They are "wishing" this will prove fruitful, not "planning".

I think there's a big difference between the two. .
Created Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

I was just going to say something like this. Unlike some (most) NBA owners, Dr. Buss is willing to invest in his team to win.

Quote:
They have bird rights to every player, so it shouldn't be too hard keeping the players they want to keep. Jerry Buss isn't cheap, so I'm sure he'd be willing to be spending some money as long as his team is contending. The profit made should be enough to cover any pending luxury taxes (or at least a portion of it).
Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #15
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
true. I guess hes willing to go into cap territory, but there is no way they can sign a free agent if they wanted to. of course odom has value and so does walton so they could always rig a SnTif necc. clearly the OP is a little off his meds
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: