Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #31
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: LA Lakerrrr...uhh Phoenix Suns: 2008 NBA Champions?

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
ok guy, you just lost all cred with that statement. pick and pop with shaq cause isnt that how he won those rings? you do realize the guy with cornrows on the heat is Haslem not oneal?
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #32
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He will lose weight, no doubt about that. I remember Kurt Thomas lost a lot of weight when he first came to Phoenix. He said himself that he couldn't keep up in the beginning but after playing some games, he started getting used to the tempo. Kurt now is in Seattle, but I feel as if his career was rejuvinated after he came to Phoenix. Losing weight can do that.

There's no reason for Shaq not to lose weight in this kind of offense. It'll be interesting to see what Shaq can do if he loses like 50 pounds in the season.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #33
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
I haven't read much of this thread, but I bet Laker/Kobe homer groupies will call the Shaq acquisition by Phoenix a big mistake.

So its not a big mistake? Yeah ok, so its ok for Shaq to run out of breath every 3 minutes while running a fast paced offense. Its ok for Shaq to get injured and not play half of the regular season games.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #34
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba
He will lose weight, no doubt about that. I remember Kurt Thomas lost a lot of weight when he first came to Phoenix. He said himself that he couldn't keep up in the beginning but after playing some games, he started getting used to the tempo. Kurt now is in Seattle, but I feel as if his career was rejuvinated after he came to Phoenix. Losing weight can do that.

There's no reason for Shaq not to lose weight in this kind of offense. It'll be interesting to see what Shaq can do if he loses like 50 pounds in the season.
lets see, gimpy hip, limited time until the playoffs would be 2 reasons
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #35
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

WillyJakk is a pretty well-respected posterWillyJakk is a pretty well-respected posterWillyJakk is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
news flash, these games arent played on paper.

What a revelation. I'm glad you just found this out.
Btw, just because you run a pick and pop/roll doesn't mean the screener will actually wind up the basketball. That's absurd to think Shaq would be doing the "popping" on a pick and pop play. Maybe I should've just said "screen" since the actual "thought of the play was too elaborate.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see once this trade goes down how much motivation the big guy will have (which I truly believe he does) to win it all, again.

Last edited by WillyJakk : 02-06-2008 at 12:51 PM.
WillyJakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #36
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
So its not a big mistake? Yeah ok, so its ok for Shaq to run out of breath every 3 minutes while running a fast paced offense. Its ok for Shaq to get injured and not play half of the regular season games.

See, now that is a legitimate reason. There's a good chance that will happen. We have to see what adjustment will be made to make him fit in. One thing that I do know is that Shaq will get all worked up to stick it to the Lakers like when he won the title in Miami. Let the rivlary resume!

My post had more to do with Laker/Kobe groupies hating on Shaq and the Suns.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #37
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJakk
What a revelation. I'm glad you just found this out.
Btw, just because you run a pick and pop/roll doesn't mean the screener will actually wind up the basketball. That's absurd to think Shaq would be doing the "popping" on a pick and pop play.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see once this trade goes down how much motivation the big guy will have (which I truly believe he does) to win it all, again.
see thats how it works, the guy setting the pick then either pops out for the jump shot or rolls to the basket. is nash going to be setting the pick for oneal while shaq is handling on the perimeter? could be interesting. and you said a nash/shaq pick and pop not pick and roll. besides, shaq has set half-hearted screens and picks for several years now unless he knows hes ending up with the ball.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #38
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gencbiba

Yeah, so Riley could not get Shaq to lose weight and you think the Suns will? Get real... in addition, the damage to Shaq's body is done, plain and simple. He cannot turn back the time. His body has taken a HUGE toll over the years and some of you want to just ignore that.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #39
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Yeah, so Riley could not get Shaq to lose weight and you think the Suns will? Get real... in addition, the damage to Shaq's body is done, plain and simple. He cannot turn back the time. His body has taken a HUGE toll over the years and some of you want to just ignore that.

I was just dreaming a bit there. I want Shaq to be what he used to be as much as possible.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #40
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

WillyJakk is a pretty well-respected posterWillyJakk is a pretty well-respected posterWillyJakk is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8

Now to me that's the biggest risk of the trade but, once again if you read the thread title it says 2008 Champions. I'm quite sure that Phoenix made this move/gamble for this year and this year only as they were on the verge of losing Marion for nothing as well next season, as well as other teams (Lakers/Spurs) being superior to them prior to the Suns move.
This gives them their shot to strike now, while the playoffs are around the corner and they're in 1st place, instead of the grind of going through an regular season w/ Shaq. I also recall Boris stepping up when Amare was out so let's give him his chance to do it again (although it was a contract year for him).
Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #41
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

Your posts are gold man.

Quote:
see thats how it works, the guy setting the pick then either pops out for the jump shot or rolls to the basket. is nash going to be setting the pick for oneal while shaq is handling on the perimeter? could be interesting. and you said a nash/shaq pick and pop not pick and roll. besides, shaq has set half-hearted screens and picks for several years now unless he knows hes ending up with the ball.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #42
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Quote:

I realize that most of what you're saying is truth but, this is the criticism about Shaq which I was referring to. Will Shaq be able to do these things w/ the Suns (ie; set correct screens, box out, be active on the boards, etc.) and I believe the answer is yes. I'm just trying to understand when Shaq became a "no talent stiff" as most of the posters are describing him as.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #43
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJakk
I realize that most of what you're saying is truth but, this is the criticism about Shaq which I was referring to. Will Shaq be able to do these things w/ the Suns (ie; set correct screens, box out, be active on the boards, etc.) and I believe the answer is yes. I'm just trying to understand when Shaq became a "no talent stiff" as most of the posters are describing him as.
i agree that the debate has become too polarized. hes clearly still a dominant big and if they can get him out there with stat at the 4 and adjust their style slightly they will be a force in the west. Im not willing to concede the championship just yet, since alot has to go just right for this to be over the top move that takes the suns up a notch.
a motivated (and relatively healthy) shaq is something the rest of the west doesnt want to see.

IMO one of the major reasons the suns moved on this was the supposed dallas trade talks with miami. if he goes there without blowing up the core too bad (maybe lose howard) there are suddenly 3 teams in the west that are clearly better than the suns (I may back off on the spurs being clearly better).
Old 02-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #44
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

Quote:
i agree that the debate has become too polarized. hes clearly still a dominant big and if they can get him out there with stat at the 4 and adjust their style slightly they will be a force in the west. Im not willing to concede the championship just yet, since alot has to go just right for this to be over the top move that takes the suns up a notch.
a motivated (and relatively healthy) shaq is something the rest of the west doesnt want to see.

IMO one of the major reasons the suns moved on this was the supposed dallas trade talks with miami. if he goes there without blowing up the core too bad (maybe lose howard) there are suddenly 3 teams in the west that are clearly better than the suns (I may back off on the spurs being clearly better).

Definitely because if Dallas landed Shaq then Phoenix is definitely on the outside looking in, regardless of playoff seeding. Btw, I merely stated Phoenix Suns:2008 NBA Champions because to me, this is clearly a 1 maybe 2 year opportunity because Nash/Shaq aren't getting any younger and the LA Lakers move of landing Gasol was a "Dynasty" making trade.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #45
rs98762001
Great young streetballer

rs98762001 has an OK reputation so far

There's something else that isn't being considered. On the defensive end, teams are going to pick and roll the Suns to death (poetic justice considering they've been doing that to everyone else for the last few years). For the last few years, as Heat fans will tell you, Shaq has been incredibly slow to react on the pick and roll, which has usually resulted in early foul trouble for him. Phoenix has Nash at the 1, who himself is ageing and a below-average man defender. Point guards like Paul, Parker, etc, will easily get by him for penetration, and Shaq will come out, slow, late and lumbering. He may still block and change a few shots, but for the most part, this is a weakness that Suns opponents will ruthlessly exploit.

Willy Jakk- your general argument would make perfect sense if this was 2005. But it's not. Shaq is averaging the worst figures of his career, he's banged up and overweight. Perhaps by some miracle he's going to get himself in shape so that the Suns can fully utilize him this year. But do you know how difficult it is to drop 30 pounds and get healthy when you're as huge as Shaq is, and take such a beating on the court?
rs98762001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: