Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #16
rs98762001
Great young streetballer

rs98762001 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: LA Lakerrrr...uhh Phoenix Suns: 2008 NBA Champions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyJakk
Exactly my point. Playoff basketball is an entirely different thing than the majority of what's being played now and clearly this is (if trade occurs), precisely a playoff, NBA Title win now move. Phoenix style of play has become a novelty, it was great in 2004-07, now it's time to win and I think in the half-court, slown down playoffs, Shaq will get them over the hurdle which is what Shawn Marion can't do for them. As I recall, I remember Marion disappearing in the playoffs.

Okay, fine. But how do you suppose the Suns are going to win it all this year when there are only 35 games left before the playoffs in which a) Shaq has to get healthy and lose a huge amount of weight and b) the Suns are going to have to completely change their offensive system. And by the time they have a summer for these two things to be addressed, Shaq will be a year older and less effective, as will Nash.

This trade does not make Phoenix title favorites in any way, shape, or form. As someone above pointed out, Shaq has not commanded a consistent double team since Detroit played him straight up in the '04 Finals. He's just not that Shaq, and never will be again.
rs98762001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #17
WillyJakk
Local High School Star

WillyJakk is a pretty well-respected posterWillyJakk is a pretty well-respected posterWillyJakk is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs98762001
Okay, fine. But how do you suppose the Suns are going to win it all this year when there are only 35 games left before the playoffs in which a) Shaq has to get healthy and lose a huge amount of weight and b) the Suns are going to have to completely change their offensive system. And by the time they have a summer for these two things to be addressed, Shaq will be a year older and less effective, as will Nash.

This trade does not make Phoenix title favorites in any way, shape, or form. As someone above pointed out, Shaq has not commanded a consistent double team since Detroit played him straight up in the '04 Finals. He's just not that Shaq, and never will be again.

Good questions. Keep in mind Shaq will NOT be the #1 option in Phoenix. He will be there for pick and pop situations for him and Nash, for interior passing/passing out of the post to spot-up shooters, and also this would allow Amare Stoudemire to move/matchup at his natural position, the PF position, which in turn will allow him to roam to the basket, rebound, and be a better help defender. Phoenix could still go "small ball" with Diaw still there when Shaq isn't in the line-up. This trade will bring out Steve Nash' talents even more since it will free him up from trapping defenders that will have to stay honest with Shaq and Amare on the floor.
WillyJakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:08 AM   #18
rs98762001
Great young streetballer

rs98762001 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Good questions. Keep in mind Shaq will NOT be the #1 option in Phoenix. He will be there for pick and pop situations for him and Nash, for interior passing/passing out of the post to spot-up shooters, and also this would allow Amare Stoudemire to move/matchup at his natural position, the PF position, which in turn will allow him to roam to the basket, rebound, and be a better help defender. Phoenix could still go "small ball" with Diaw still there when Shaq isn't in the line-up. This trade will bring out Steve Nash' talents even more since it will free him up from trapping defenders that will have to stay honest with Shaq and Amare on the floor.

Yes. But in order for this to happen, Shaq has to get down the floor in 5 seconds flat, or the Suns have to change their entire offensive scheme in order to suit the fact that he is, quite simply, slow and overweight. And, while I appreciate that he won't be their number one option, that he will likely play only 25-30 mins a game, and that Amare will probably flourish at the 4, it also creates another problem which is that, when O'Neal sits for almost half of every game, Phoenix will have to play the smallest ball of any team ever in the NBA.
rs98762001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #19
amfirst
Great college starter

amfirst has an OK reputation so far

Stup1d move, the Suns just official imploded.
amfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:14 AM   #20
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I don't think they'll re-sign Shawn Marion so they'll clear BIG cap space this summer.
Wouldn't it be funny if that happens and Shawn Marion joins Lakers for a RING!
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #21
amfirst
Great college starter

amfirst has an OK reputation so far

I guess the Suns didn't watch last year when Shaq got sweep in the playoffs. I was looking forward for the Laks to play the Suns in the playoffs, now I just pity them.
amfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #22
BnchClearNBrawlR
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BnchClearNBrawlR has an OK reputation so far

I kinda like the move cause Phoenix wasn't winning it all anytime soon with Shawn "NO SHOW IN THE PLAYOFFS" Marion but championship move? I don't know.

"I'll take my chances with LA Lakers or Boston Celtics"

Last edited by BnchClearNBrawlR : 02-06-2008 at 11:36 AM.
BnchClearNBrawlR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #23
kgisbigticket
Banned

kgisbigticket has an OK reputation so far

This would be an awesome series.

Suns vs Lakers

Shaq vs Bynum
Amare vs Gasol
Hill vs Odom
Bell vs Kobe
Nash vs Fisher

Bench
Barbosa vs Farmar
Diaw vs Vlad

Lakers should be able to get to the finals but the Suns would win in 6 though. You cant have your best player on the Lakers shooting worse than the team. Lakers would never win if Kobe shoots worse than the overall team.
kgisbigticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #24
Phenomenon
Ball Above All

Phenomenon has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Lakers should be able to get to the finals but the Suns would win in 6 though.

Makes no sense, the Lakers should be able to get to the finals but Phoenix will beat them? Last I checked they play in the same conference.

You're delusional if you think Phoenix are the favorites with Bynum's improvement and the addition of Gasol.

I recall Phoenix having no answer for Bynum in their two losses to LA, you think old Shaq will be the answer to Gasol/Bynum combo?

But yeah if Bynum isn't 100%, then Phoenix will probably win the series.
Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #25
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

Quote:
comparing their frontcourt (PF/C) of Shaq/Amare > Gasol/Bynum > Duncan/Oberto > Garnett/Perkins > Ming/Landry > Boozer/Okur > Wallace/McDyess > Nowitzki/Dampier

2 things:

1. That list is horribly ordered.

2. Playoff series are not won or lost merely on the strength of the frontcourt. The Spurs could have me starting at center and I'd still pick them to beat both the Lakers and the Suns in a 7 game series because of their guard rotation.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by catquickspider
@ the thought of Shaq getting in shape
esp. since the OP intimated that it would happen simply by practicing with the breakneck suns
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #27
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
(PF/C) of Shaq/Amare > Gasol/Bynum > Duncan/Oberto > Garnett/Perkins > Ming/Landry > Boozer/Okur > Wallace/McDyess > Nowitzki/Dampier.

news flash, these games arent played on paper.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #28
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Shaq is there for pick and pop? To shoot little jumpers?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #29
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

I haven't read much of this thread, but I bet Laker/Kobe homer groupies will call the Shaq acquisition by Phoenix a big mistake.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #30
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Good questions. Keep in mind Shaq will NOT be the #1 option in Phoenix. He will be there for pick and pop situations for him and Nash,.
ok guy, you just lost all cred with that statement. pick and pop with shaq cause isnt that how he won those rings? you do realize the guy with cornrows on the heat is Haslem not oneal?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: