Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #31
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Recreate the 90's Bulls w/ present players

okay i wasn't going to do one of these because i did one not too long ago on another post, but i'm getting requests so here it goes. i'll do it like loki did with one for each 3 peat:

1991-93
paxson - chris quinn (same size. same function.)

jordan - bryant (i'd prefer wade's style from last year, but he's off this season)

pippen - igudala (at this point pip was known more for versatility than d)

grant - biendrins (less minutes and less shots but cleans the boards and blocks like ho g did)

cartwright - umberto (decent passer, physical defender, has offense but not range, doesn't block shots)

bj armstrong - daniel gibson (similar size and skills.)

1996-98

ron harper - marquis daniels (good defense. good slashing. not great ouside shooting)

jordan - bryant (get in the post and stop taking so many 3s!)

pippen - prince (by this point the game his game was more about d and versatility and less about athleticism)

rodman - chandler? (honestly, there's nobody even remotely similar. if david lee started on team without so many big bodies inside, he'd probaby be top 3 in rebounds, and he's a banger / energy defender rather than shotblocker).

longley - rasho (big, physical defender. good catch and shoot. smart but not exceptional passer. not much else at this point.)

kukoc - bargnani (another tough one. the most similar statistically - same minutes, points, rebounds, and assists - is definitely francisco garcia, but he's a smaller, more athletic player. hedo would be good as a career comparison, but this year turk's playing ten more minutes a game than kukoc averaged in the title years).
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #32
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Teanett has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan

pippen - igudala (at this point pip was known more for versatility than d)

pippen put a lock on magic in '91!
i think t-mac is a better comparison based on how he could defend dirk.
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #33
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Michael Jordan - LeBron James
Scottie Pippen - Kevin Garnett
Dennis Rodman - Tyson Chandler
Horace Grant - Al Horford
Luc Longley - Nazr Mohammed
Bill Cartwright - Eddy Curry
John Paxson - Daniel Gibson
BJ Armstrong - Jason Terry
Toni Kukoc - Peja Stojakovic
Ron Harper - Larry Hughes
Randy Brown - Smush Parker
Steve Kerr - Steve Blake
Bill Wennigton - Malik Rose
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #34
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
pippen put a lock on magic in '91!
i think t-mac is a better comparison based on how he could defend dirk.
magic actually had a great series, and didn't do any worse against pip than he did against mike (i just bought the whole series on dvd; great watch by the way) - pip's length just ruined the fastbreak game because magic couldn't throw over the top and pips strength slowed him down. he still averaged 20 pts and 13 dimes a game or something like that. and that was the first time people really took note of pip as a defensive ace. he was well thought of after that series as a defender and really started to get notice in 92, not so much before. i may have overstated though. what i meant was that the general sports media looked to scottie to be the do everything type of second option more than the bowen sort of lock down defender in those days, whether he could be or not.

i don't like the tmac comparison this year for two reasons. 1. he's been so banged up that it's hard to credit him with being a great anything. 2. he's been primarily a 1st option scorer and jump shooter this season which is something scottie didn't do in those years. i tried really hard to keep it to this season vs. for careers.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #35
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Teanett has decent reputation

maybe stephen jackson?
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #36
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
maybe stephen jackson?
you know it's tough. not long ago somebody had a post about who played the most like pippen this year, and there really wasn't a consensus pick. between the full all-around game, the athleticism, the point forward role and the defense, nobody really springs to mind this season. if you were to merge tayshawn and roy, i think that'd be pretty close.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #37
wizzla11
Kids at the park dunk on me

wizzla11 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Shawn Marion would fill perfectly for Rodman.

I would say a prime Ben Wallace would be closer to Rodman.
Not really tall but can guard bigger guys, No real offense (rodman was way better offensively in college), plays D and grabs board, brings energy. Bad FT shooter. Difference is Rodman did for his whole career while Ben can't do it anymore but will still collect $$
wizzla11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #38
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
you know it's tough. not long ago somebody had a post about who played the most like pippen this year, and there really wasn't a consensus pick. between the full all-around game, the athleticism, the point forward role and the defense, nobody really springs to mind this season. if you were to merge tayshawn and roy, i think that'd be pretty close.

Yeah great post! Some people are clearly forgetting about Pippen running the offense as a point forward when they choose Josh Howard as a comparison. Scottie was averaging 6-7 assists pretty much every year and taking the ball up, leading the fastbreak and driving & dishing. Igoudala isn't a point forward but he is a gifted passer, long, athletic, a pretty good defender and a strong rebounder..closest I can think of now. Prime Grant Hill was similar in some ways too except he was a first option so he had a different role. Hill was a better ball handler too while Pippen was a better defender. People also seem to forget how good of a rebounder Scottie was. One of the best rebounding SF I've ever seen I believe he was averaging 8-9 rpg a few years. Grant Hill in his prime was putting up very similar numbers around 20-22 ppg, 7-10 rpg, 6-7 apg and around 50% FG. The skillset, size and athletisism was probably the closest too.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #39
kgisbigticket
Banned

kgisbigticket has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg
Steve Kerr - Steve Blake

KG is 1000x better than Pippen
kgisbigticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #40
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg
Steve Kerr - Steve Blake

Dynasty
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #41
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgisbigticket
KG is 1000x better than Pippen

Not 1000x, but he is significantly better. That much more so because he's a big.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #42
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

The reason I listed KG as Pippen was because they are the two guys that spring to mind when you think about 2nd fiddles. Neither really can shoulder the load offensively and take a team to the Finals or a title but they are both so versatile that they compliment a lead guy, a Jordan if you will, extremely well. KG does everything offensively atleast average, is a good ball handler for his size, good passer, and a good defender. They are equal as scorers. KG is to rebounding as Pippen is to leading the offense/ballhandling and Pippens rebounding is about equal to KGs ballhandling.

To me, when I think over the 25 years I have been watching the NBA, the two best batmans in the business have been Scottie Pippen and Kevin Garnett. Kobe Bryant was a great batman, but he is built to be the lead guy. KG has never really gotten to play with a batman but in Boston he has Paul Pierce and Ray Allen kind of combining to give him the batman he has always needed in order to get somewhere and win some games.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #43
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star

97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable97 bulls is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ive always said that the 97 bulls were the best etam ever because they had a legit low post playe in brian williams. so saying that this is 97 bulls recreation

harper-----larry hughes
jordan-----kobe bryant
longley----brad miller
rodman----03 ben wallace
pippen----gerald wallace but better in every aspect of the game
williams---eddy curry
kukoc----lamar odom
kerr------jason kapono
caffey---ike diogu
wennington-michael doleac
brown---lindsey hunter but without the 3s
parrish--dikembe mutombo
buechler-casey jacobson
simpkins-francisco elson
stienga--kareem rush

this is a 70 plus win team. and just think brian willians only played in 9 games during the regular season and that bulls team encountered alot of injuries to key players durin the regular season. not to mention that rodman lost over 20 games to that suspensin for kicking that camera man. easily this is a 76 to 77 win team. hell, they won 69 with the problems they had the whole season.
97 bulls best team ever....
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 AM   #44
kidachi

Balkman could be Rodman. +50 in rebounding.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #45
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

here's mine

Michael Jordan - Lebron James
Scottie Pippen - Kobe Bryant
Dennis Rodman - Ben Wallace
Horace Grant - Kurt Thomas
Luc Longley - Andrew Bogut
Bill Cartwright - Alonzo Mourning
John Paxson - Kirk Hinrich
BJ Armstrong - Daniel Gibson
Toni Kukoc - Andrea Bargnani