Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #16
clayton
Banned

clayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat coolclayton is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Are you an offense guy or a defense guy???

I say both. Offense and defense are both too important to ignore.:)
clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:17 PM   #17
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

gencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postergencbiba is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I love defense. It's so fun to know that people can't score on you. I also love enforcing the paint. I can also defend up top so I am a versatile defender. I can score everywhere on the court too. Now, if only I was taller.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #18
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Defense. The reason why I always root for the Spurs over the Suns.

I was raised to love defense and in my own playing style I am a streaky offensive player but I can always count on my defense. If I ever "cherry pick" it is actually on the defensive side.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #19
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

DEFENSE

Always better to see a steal or a block rather than a 3 or a dunk. Shaking someone is not as good as shutting down someone. I like a Cornerback to make a good defensive play rather than a WR to make a good catch. Low scoring games >>> high scoring games.
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #20
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Defense

Defense

Defense
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #21
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

For me watching offense is slightly more fun, but I like both. When I'm playing though I like both equally. I find shutting someone down or forcing a turnover just as fun as going through the defense for a lay-up.

Last edited by Rockets(T-mac) : 12-15-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Rockets(T-mac) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #22
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

I love defense..I like when scorers go off as well but only when it is against sound defense... I hate watching high scoring games with no defense...i find it boring which is why I dont watch the Suns and rather watch the spurs.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #23
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Offense. Gimme GS vs Suns over Spurs vs Detroit. I appreciate defense but prefer not to watch a boring ass game.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #24
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

the things I love watching most in the NBA are, in order:

1. smart passing, esp. combined with off ball movement
2. fundamental defense where say TD or Bowen just stays flawlessly in front of someone and makes them make a bad decision
3. crazy athletic defense where a guy gets a block out of nowhere
4. crazed hustling for loose balls or hustling in general
5. footwork

I guess I'm a defense guy then because I dig everything about good defense but I hate watching some good offense. like DWade playing for the whistle rather than the bucket. but I guess that just makes me appreciate more guys who are all about the bucket (Caron Butler).
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Offense fascinates me more than defense. Offensive plays and schemes just attract more to me and make me enjoy the game, though defense is very interesting, too.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #26
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Defense. Usually in pickup games, there are a lot of big egos that want/need the ball at all times. I just wanna go out there and do something that other people aren't out there doing. I box people out, dive for loose balls, hustle back on D as opposed to standing on the other side of the court and waiting for the long pass if my team happens to get a rebound/cause a turnover. I always hate that. Some dudes just stand in one place the whole game, waiting for the cross court pass so they can just stand there and lay it in.

Something about hardnosed defense is just fascinating to me. Anyone can shoot the ball, but it takes a special player to commit themselves to defense, whether its the NBA or pickup games.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:52 PM   #27
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I think the problem is that the NBA is about offense not defense. in college ball effective defense can actually be played. but the NBA court is just too damn big for it. there's too much space to operate in, and all the offensive players are so good, defense is less important.

but that just makes a great defensive play all the more impressive.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #28
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

otmtheshank has an OK reputation so far

If I'm playing, I'd rather be making a block or shutting an opposing player down then scoring a bucket, although making a perfect pass is pretty enjoyable too.

If I'm watching a game, I'd rather watch a fast paced game than a slow paced game. That doesn't necessarily mean I like watching offense more than defense though, as there are a lot of certain players who I always pay closer attention to when they're playing defense(Hinrich/Christie/Hassell/etc).
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #29
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

eh, im more of an offense guy. like im pretty athletic, so scoring jus takes less energy for me than playin good hard defense.

so because of that, i like watching offense more.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #30
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

defense myself. my son is more of an offensive player but his defense is coming along quite well.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: