Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-15-2007, 03:07 PM   #31
Phenomenon
Ball Above All

Default Re: Jose Calderon: 16 assists tonight

Quote:
And have guys like Jamaal Tinsley light us up for 19/10 every game? No thanks, I'll keep TJ.

Yeah because Tinsley is only averaging 15 & 9 on the season...and is a total scrub in this league, right?

Oh, and one more thing...Tinsley scored 20 points & had 5 assists shot 8 for 13 when TJ Ford was the starting PG back in November. So Ford wasn't exactly doing any better on Tinsley.

You can keep TJ, certainly not a dumb move on your part...they are a great PG tandem, and TJ is obviously superior on the defensive end...however if Toronto could land someone like Pau Gasol for Ford & Bargnani (plus a draft pick), you'd be stupid to turn it down.
Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #32
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Somehow TJ Ford is becoming a very underrated player in this league again. It seems like the same thing happened in Milwaukee with the emergence of Mo Williams. Yes, Mo is a good PG as well but would anyone really take him over Ford now?

If Calderon does have an advantage overall on offense, it's very slight at best. And IMO they're about even overall. Calderon is clearly a better shooter with more range on his jump shot but Ford is the better playmaker who will put far more pressure on opposing defenses.

Then you have their defense:

http://www.82games.com/0708/07TOR1C.HTM
Ford opposing PG eFG%: 0.397

http://www.82games.com/0708/07TOR3C.HTM
Calderon opposing PG eFG%: 0.566

The Raptors will clearly be keeping both for now unless they get blown away by an offer. Calderon will be a restricted free agent and Ford is already signed into a, what is now, a bargain of a deal. No reason to trade either of them unless it CLEARLY improves the Raptors. My dreams of Marvin Williams to the Raptors have expanded to Al Horford on the Raptors (as the future C) in some blockbuster involving Calderon or Bargnani or both.

Quote:
however if Toronto could land someone like Pau Gasol for Ford & Bargnani (plus a draft pick)
Memphis is one of the last teams in the league that needs a PG.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #33
gencbiba
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot
lebron23?

Yes. He is Lebron23. heh

Calderon is pretty good. I was watching this game when he came into the league and I thought he could be good. I'm happy he has playing time now.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #34
TruthKGRay3412
HANNN

Quote:
Yes. He is Lebron23. heh

Why would I be lebron23? I hate LeBron more than P2 does.
TruthKGRay3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #35
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Two points:

1. TJ is still better than Calderon and it isn't close because of the defensive end.

2. KBlaze isn't perfect.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #36
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Is there any chance that the Raptors keep both? I take those two as a tandem over any single PG in the league... with the possible exceptions of Nash, CP3 and D-Will.

But if the Raptors do end up trading Calderon with another good player for a big star, who do we want, and who can we realistically get? Imagine this for a second if you will... Calderon and Bargnani for D-Wade. Too optimistic?

Ehhh, I'm liking the team as it is right now. Let's see how they fare in the playoffs this year.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #37
T-Low
College superstar

We'll resign Garbs to a small contract and Jose will fall into our hands ...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #38
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Is there any chance that the Raptors keep both? I take those two as a tandem over any single PG in the league... with the possible exceptions of Nash, CP3 and D-Will.
Of course they can. If Bargnani can develop into something useful and Moon can at least start hitting shots from 15-20 feet, there really won't be much need for a shakeup. They can keep them both for the immediate future.

Quote:
Calderon and Bargnani for D-Wade.
WAY too optimistic. Calderon/Bargnani for Horford/Childress maybe?

If it were up to me (sprinkled in with some Atlanta stupidity), a lineup I'd love for the Raptors to have next year would be:

Ford -- Duhon
Parker -- Delfino
Childress -- Moon/Kapono
Bosh -- Humphries
Horford -- Rasho! Rasho! Rasho! Rasho! Rasho! (it needs to be said 5 times... while looking into a mirror)

THAT is a team that would have championship potential very soon IMO. But again, why would Atlanta do such a trade?

Quote:
We'll resign Garbs to a small contract
I'd be shocked to see Garbajosa in the NBA past his current contract. The Raptors certainly don't need him anymore and I bet he can get better money in Europe after this contract expires.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 12-15-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:27 PM   #39
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Hes not starting over Mike Bibby(Who will be back in a week or so).
I'm reading the Bee and I haven't heard much hype about Bibby being back soon. I was under the impression that mid-late January was when he was expected.

You hear otherwise?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #40
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
We'll resign Garbs to a small contract and Jose will fall into our hands ...
Hey, that's actually pretty smart. Hopefully Garbo gets healthy enough to play again (doubtful) as well. I think Jose likes the place he's at in Toronto, he's getting a pay-raise whether he stays or goes, so hopefully he decides to stay. I will trust in BC to find a way to make it work.

Additionally, I don't think he would be quite as effective on most other teams. The Raptors offence suits his style perfectly.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #41
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
WAY too optimistic. Calderon/Bargnani for Horford/Childress maybe?
Severely underrating Bargs man. I know he hasn't played as expected this year, but his potential is still as high as it was at the beginning of the year, and he could very well take the strides to make a trade like this look very dumb. If you're giving Atlanta Bargs, you've got to demand Marvin in return.

Calderon/Bargs for Marvin/Horford. Raps could throw in a little extra if demanded, but this is a pretty fair trade.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #42
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Maybe I am but I think you are also severely underrated Horford's value too. That's why I only put in Childress. Horford was the consensus #3 pick in one what I think will end up being one of the best drafts in years. It doesn't look that way for now only because the #1 and 4 picks have been injured.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #43
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Maybe I am but I think you are also severely underrated Horford's value too. That's why I only put in Childress. Horford was the consensus #3 pick in one what I think will end up being one of the best drafts in years. It doesn't look that way for now only because the #1 and 4 picks have been injured.

Horford can turn out to be one of the best rebounders in the league...He needs to work on his back to the basket game but its only his rookie year, it will take time.

The trade itself I am not so sure about since I haven't seen Childress play all that much. So for now I am sayin no for the trade...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #44
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

To me Childress isn't anything too special. He'd be a servicable starter on the Raptors but with Bosh, Ford, Horford as a core... they wouldn't need much from him. From what I've seen he really hasn't improved a whole lot since coming into the league but he's a solid player.

To me he's like a happy medium between Kapono and Moon. Not quite the shooter that Kapono is but far better defensively and not quite the defensive/athletic player Moon but with a better jump shot.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #45
power works
High School JV MVP

Jose’s excellent play raises the issue……is he pricing himself out of the Raptors financial means?

I know he’s a restricted free agent after this season, which means Raps can match any offers. That makes a HUGE difference.

But, imagine if there’s a team below the cap who’d offer him a max-contract. Possibility? Remember there are teams that still employ Isiah and McHale as GMs. It’s imaginable.

Frankly, if he asks for TJ money --- something like 7-8 mil a year, I’d give it to him. Backup-PG is just a label. He’s really a starter…maybe even an elite PG of the future….that happens not to start.

I’m sure Mr. Colangelo will do the right thing.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: