Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #16
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Chris Paul or Melo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
Chris Paul easily. Good playmaker (and scorer) PG is much more important than a scoring SF.

I hate broad statements like that..its not always true..Kobe is always gonna be a better choice then CP3....Lebron is a scoring SF and he is a better choice...Healthy D-Wade is a better choice as well...
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #17
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Carmelo, but it's no blowout. CP has been steadily moving up the ranks (as expected), and is probably top 15 at this point. On my list anyways. Melo's top 10 though.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #18
A Roc 23
Back Better Then Ever

A Roc 23 has decent reputationA Roc 23 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
I hate broad statements like that..its not always true..Kobe is always gonna be a better choice then CP3....Lebron is a scoring SF and he is a better choice...Healthy D-Wade is a better choice as well...

In general he is right. Kobe is not a general player, he is an elite player that transcends such statements because he is an elite scorer.

Personally I'd take Kobe's 30/5/5 over Paul's 20/10/5 because of how much Kobe changes the game with his scoring potential.

But in generall I'd take a 16/8 from a steady, smart point guard over 22 points from my steady, smart small foward as long as their wasn't some glaring difference like FG% or turnovers (defense aside). Great point guards on most teams just have more effect on the game then great small forwards unless you're talking about someone like Lebron who is an elite player who effects the game in such a way that is above almost every player in the league.
A Roc 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #19
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

oldenpolynice has decent reputation

[quote=A Roc 23]If you're looking at the past, present and future you take Ford for all of those. In the past he's been better then Outlaw, in the present he is playing better then Outlaw (look at season numbers) and in the future Ford will be better (he's the starting point guard now and in the future whereas Outlaw's future is off the bench).
QUOTE]

First of all, in the past T.J. Ford has missed A LOT of time due to injury in his career. Remember the spinal cord injury of 2004? He almost suffered another such injury this week against the Hawks. His style of play puts him in a situation to get hit over and over and over again but his body type can't take all that contact. He's like the anti-Iverson in that way.

Putting that into consideration, he is less likely to have a healthy career from this point forward. Also, he is blocked by Jose Calderon in Toronto in terms of minutes.

Outlaw, on the other hand, is younger and less suspectible to injury. He, like Marvin Williams, is a young player who came into the league and was over his head. This year, he is putting it together and he is making good on his potential. There's no way he sits behind Martell Webster (who has struggled after a hot start) for very long.

Like you said, Ford in the past has been better than Outlaw. But right now Outlaw is playing better and in the future he will have a longer NBA career thanks to T.J. Ford's frail body type. Outlaw has potential, is living up to that potential this season and will be good, for longer, than Ford.
oldenpolynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #20
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

Melo is on his way to becoming the best SF in the league, but CP3 is on his way to becoming the best PG.

gotta go with the PG in this discussion......always.

CP3
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
allball
National High School Star

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
Melo is on his way to becoming the best SF in the league, but CP3 is on his way to becoming the best PG.

gotta go with the PG in this discussion......always.

CP3

says who? I take CP3...
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #22
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by allball
says who? I take CP3...

I have only seen CP3 play in big games in college??and he looked like a choke artist...so best pg in a few years will be Deron(a proven clutch performer)

then compare that to Melo who is always done well in the clutch and lead his team to the playoffs...

Sorry but a team relying on CP3 and Peja will be fine in the regular season but are destined to many upsets.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #23
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
I have only seen CP3 play in big games in college??and he looked like a choke artist...so best pg in a few years will be Deron(a proven clutch performer)

then compare that to Melo who is always done well in the clutch and lead his team to the playoffs...

Sorry but a team relying on CP3 and Peja will be fine in the regular season but are destined to many upsets.

No way, CP is just fine at the end of games. Just look at Wake Forest's exit in March Madness the year that he left. The only reason they lost is because he was singlehandedly carrying them on his back and then fouled out in triple OT. He played just fine in the clutch.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #24
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
But right now Outlaw is playing better
He's not.

Unless you mean "right now" as in right this very moment because Ford currently is injured and Outlaw isn't. That's the only way Outlaw is playing better "right now" because Ford has outplayed him this year.

Quote:
and in the future he will have a longer NBA career thanks to T.J. Ford's frail body type.
Might be true but this is still speculation and speculation alone can't be enough to take Outlaw over a clearly more valuable player. I wonder how many teams/people would take a Travis Outlaw over a TJ Ford to start their franchises?

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 12-14-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #25
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

CP3 is awesome but it was a joy and a relief to see Kenyon Martin shut him down over and over again (tight D and steals) in the 4th quarter the other night.....which led to Melo's clutch 4th quarter dominance.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM   #26
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I wonder how many teams/people would take a Travis Outlaw over a TJ Ford to start their franchises?

*Raises hand*

Just personal preference. I'm not yet convinced that TJ is an upper echelon PG in the league. I'd take Outlaw for his role, but wait on a better PG.
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #27
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Melo is a bit of a lazy player, takes the easy option on a lot of plays where if he put in the effort he would be a lot more effective. Doesn't lead the team well. I take Chris paul for the opposite
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #28
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool

CP but then I'm pretty firmly convinced hes the second coming of Isiah so take it for what it's worth :)
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #29
oldenpolynice
Local High School Star

Quote:
I wonder how many teams/people would take a Travis Outlaw over a TJ Ford to start their franchises?

Ok, I'll concede that point. People often take the riskier player in hopes that he'll work out. Just look at Darko Milicic's career. Not to imply that Ford's career is anything like Darko's.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #30
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
He's not.

Unless you mean "right now" as in right this very moment because Ford currently is injured and Outlaw isn't. That's the only way Outlaw is playing better "right now" because Ford has outplayed him this year.

Might be true but this is still speculation and speculation alone can't be enough to take Outlaw over a clearly more valuable player. I wonder how many teams/people would take a Travis Outlaw over a TJ Ford to start their franchises?

It's just a list of who's hot or not now, like power rankings.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: