Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #151
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Message board suggestions thread

1) No aliases.
2) No trolls/posters with no knowledge of the game who provide nothing but quarrels. IP banning for them (firstly for a few days, second time for more, third time forever).
3) Player comparisons/history forum (yeah, I know that for a certain reason the admin seems to hate this idea and continuously ignores it - while much more secondary forums, like video games and WNBA, do exist - but I haven't found out why). Like I said in another topic, it will keep away certain posters who don't care about history and just post for the hell of it.
4) Create some search tool. It's much faster and more practical to be able to search the posts and threads of someone than trying to google them.
5) Lock or delete stupid/seriously derailed/already existing threads. Or, at least, merge topics with apparently the same topic. It's annoying as hell, during an important game, to see 20 different threads like: "OMG, did you see this KG dunk??" or "Kobe has 20 at the end of 1st period. Will he score 80?". Also, merge "caption this pic" thread into one. Almost every day, the same title appears in a new thread. Simply annoying, especially for these who don't care.
Warn posters who ignore these locks/merges and continue starting useless threads.
6) Delete the "rep" thing. Completely useless (even more useless than the post count), it's more certain that it will form idiotic "rep me and I'll rep you back" alliances (often between mediocre or even weak posters) than really show which posters are worthy and which aren't. I bet certain posters have won more such "rep points" while doing nothing but asking for them than posters who really deserve them.

Last edited by Psileas : 06-23-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #152
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
1) No aliases.
2) No trolls/posters with no knowledge of the game who provide nothing but quarrels. IP banning for them (firstly for a few days, second time for more, third time forever).
3) Player comparisons/history forum (yeah, I know that for a certain reason the admin seems to hate this idea and continuously ignores it - while much more secondary forums, like video games and WNBA, do exist - but I haven't found out why). Like I said in another topic, it will keep away certain posters who don't care about history and just post for the hell of it.
4) Create some search tool. It's much faster and more practical to be able to search the posts and threads of someone than trying to google them.
5) Lock or delete stupid/seriously derailed/already existing threads. Or, at least, merge topics with apparently the same topic. It's annoying as hell, during an important game, to see 20 different threads like: "OMG, did you see this KG dunk??" or "Kobe has 20 at the end of 1st period. Will he score 80?". Also, merge "caption this pic" thread into one. Almost every day, the same title appears in a new thread. Simply annoying, especially for these who don't care.
Warn posters who ignore these locks/merges and continue starting useless threads.
6) Delete the "rep" thing. Completely useless (even more useless than the post count), it's more certain that it will form idiotic "rep me and I'll rep you back" alliances (often between mediocre or even weak posters) than really show which posters are worthy and which aren't. I bet certain posters have won more such "rep points" while doing nothing but asking for them than posters who really deserve them.

Greatest post in this thread, we really to need a history forum and a cleaner NBA forum. In regards to the bold, I will divulge further: The google search is not only harder to use, it's vastly incomplete, as it probably searches through 1/15 of the actual forum when you call a search. Activate the real one.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #153
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Right. I do think the search should be the #1 priority. The Google one, like he said only has like 10% of the actual threads made. Copy and paste some thread titles and google them and half of them won't even show up in search results.
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #154
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Italian
But then there would only be one poster left.

After all, we are all TMOGE.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #155
SCY
Put yr guns up

Once again, after asking for suggestions they go on to ignore them.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #156
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCY
Once again, after asking for suggestions they go on to ignore them.

seriously

Can we at least have a reply to know which things are being taken into consideration?
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:35 PM   #157
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Apparently ISH's biggest concern is Doomsday and his 9/11 talk.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #158
v-unit
NBA All-star

Thanks for replying-I think the only thing we would need is a mod. Someone who is a regular here to be one, thats it.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:47 PM   #159
insidehoops
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psileas
1) No aliases.

Report bad posts.

This highlights the bad posters so we can respond to it.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:52 PM   #160
v-unit
NBA All-star

I wouldn't say we need a mod for the fighting though, we know where ISH stands and we know what to expect, no one complains about the fighting.

I would think that the biggest help a mod could do is delete useless posts (so you wouldn't have to) and get rid of those easy to see gimick accounts, or uncalled for posts. Again, this would just make it easier for you.

You could appoint it to someone trust worthy and try it out, see how it goes. You didn't have a problem with mods in any other forum, correct?
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #161
insidehoops
Administrator

Everyone on the board can be a mod. By reporting any post that actually damages the board or good discussion
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #162
Hawker
Banned

And what about the search feature?

Appoint a mod too. OTC needs a mod b/c of how busy it's gotten.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #163
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

are reports anonymous?
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #164
Psileas
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
I wouldn't say we need a mod for the fighting though, we know where ISH stands and we know what to expect, no one complains about the fighting.

But this will discourage new good posters to join the board. It already does for quite some time now. Among all the good posters I saw during the last months in various boards, very few people willing to only discuss come here.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #165
ecthelion
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Everyone on the board can be a mod. By reporting any post that actually damages the board or good discussion
how stupid is that.. how about some powa
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: