Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
3ball
NBA rookie of the year

Default Observations of Lebron's game

The stats prove Lebron isn't capable of good efficiency at high shot volume

We didn't need the 2015 playoffs to prove this - the NBA's player-tracking stats show that Lebron is bad at the additional midrange and isolations required of high volume shooters.. Lebron's poor efficiency at high volume dooms his chances of winning a CHAMPIONSHIP while shooting high volume - he simply isn't capable of winning a ring while high shooting volume.

Lebron's poor efficiency at high volumes mean he doesn't require a double-team

He hasn't been double-teamed for the last 3 Finals, most obviously in 2015.. This is no surprise - the best option for ANY defense is to allow low percentage shots over and over.. This specific dynamic where Lebron UN-complicates the opponent's defensive strategy by not commanding a double-team, puts him outside of the top 15 all-time.. His inability to command a double team is a horrible indictment on his game compared to his peers.

39% is Lebron's best capability at high shot volume

The lack of double-teaming in the 2015 Finals provided Lebron with optimal conditions to shoot the best percentage possible at the higher volume - this turned out to be 39%.. 39% is Lebron's ceiling at higher shot volume.. Again, this would never be good enough to win a championship - when MJ averaged 41/9/6/51% in 1993, it was BARELY enough for the Bulls to win because remarkably, both teams averaged exactly 106.7 ppg and 113.0 ORtg in those Finals.

Lebron's poor mid-range and isolation ability prevents him from being as good in the 80's, when those were the only options left in the absence of the 3-pointers necessary to make screen-roll/drive-and-kick mathematically worthwhile.

Without teammates spreading the floor for him and making drive-and-kick the force it is today, Lebron would have to score from the mid-range like everyone else in the 80's - since he sucks at mid-range, we know for a fact he would be a lesser player back then.

However, Lebron being worse in the 80's without drive-and-kick isn't the only impact of Lebron's poor mid-range ability.. It's already been mentioned how Lebron's lack of mid-range ability also makes him incapable of having good efficiency at higher shot volumes, since additional mid-range is required of high volume shooters - of course, Lebron's inability to shoot well at high volumes means he doesn't require double-teaming, which uncomplicates the opponent's defense and makes him highly exploitable.

Faster pace wouldn't help Lebron in the 80's because the stats show that pace ALWAYS slows down in the playoffs, regardless of era

Pace was 94.0 in both the 1988 and 1989 playoffs, which is lower than the 2015 playoffs (94.4).. Playoff pace was often MUCH lower, like in the mid-90's - i.e. pace was 87.4 in the 1996 playoffs.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...all_misc_stats
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...all_misc_stats

Lebron's style of play dooms his team's chances against the better playoff teams, resulting in "empty stats"

Lebron's style of play (pg ball-dominance and low-assisted rate from SF position, with poor mid-range or isolation skills) doesn't just prevent him from being effective without drive-and-kick or shooting well enough at high volumes to command double teams - it also hurts the brand of basketball his team is capable of.. His teams become locked into a style where Lebron dominates the ball and the offensive decision-making, which hurts chemistry.

Just look at the heat.. Wade and bosh's stats were much lower and chemistry was always an issue - Wade and lebron's ON-OFF stats were well-publicized and showed the heat were better when they were not on the floor together.. They still went 2/4 due to talent, but the times they lost, their chemistry and brand of basketball was far worse than their opponent (dallas, spurs).. The lesser brand of basketball falls primarily on Lebron's shoulders - as the franchise player, he's most responsible for the brand of basketball his teams are capable of.

Ray allen's walk-off in 2013 merely postponed a trend where opposing teams play a superior brand of basketball and render lebron's stats empty - they're empty whether he takes a passive 17 fga on all 3-and-D to protect efficiency (2014 Finals), or whether he doubles the fga to 34, but the additional isolations and midrange required of high volume shooting tanks his efficiency (2015 Finals).

Last edited by 3ball : 08-25-2015 at 09:01 PM.
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
90sgoat
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: Observations of Lebron's game

Hey 3Ball,

I signed up just to say we're millions of lurkers watching around the world who appreciate the consistent smackdowns of these dumbass kids and their hero Bran.
90sgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #3
StrongLurk
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sgoat
Hey 3Ball,

I signed up just to say we're millions of lurkers watching around the world who appreciate the consistent smackdowns of these dumbass kids and their hero Bran.

3ball created an alt and is talking to himself
StrongLurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
Marchesk
El Sid Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongLurk
3ball created an alt and is talking to himself

Isn't that the case for half these threads? There's simply no way you can still get mileage off Kobe threads without a bunch of alts, right? Tell that's so.
Marchesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
riseagainst
Lebron fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sgoat
Hey 3Ball,

riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
3ball
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainst

I'm not 90sgoat.. The mods can probably verify that pretty easily.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

LeBron age 30: 2/6 in the finals
MJ age 30: 3/3 in the finals

MJ age 22: swept twice in the first round
LeBron age 22: lost in 2nd round, swept in finals

but yeah, bron really can't shoot. Check his midrange stats on bball ref. It's really ugly
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #8
90sgoat
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ball
I'm not 90sgoat.. The mods can probably verify that pretty easily.

Damn right bro.

90sgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #9
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
LeBron age 30: 2/6 in the finals
MJ age 30: 3/3 in the finals

Bron had a 3 year head start while playing in the worst conference in NBA History (post merger). Kobe was 3/3 in the finals by age 23, 5/7 by 30. Means jack shit.

Quote:
MJ age 22: swept twice in the first round
LeBron age 22: lost in 2nd round, swept in finals

Jordan was swept twice by Larry Bird's Celtics, a GOAT team candidate, in an Eastern Conference that was ultra strong. Even the GOAT putting up 44/6/6/2 (51% FG) and dropping a still record 63 points wasn't enough.

Bron's Cavs wouldn't have gotten a single win in those circumstances either. Notice how he also got swept the moment he saw a team that was good but nowhere near the realm of those Celtics squads.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Bron had a 3 year head start while playing in the worst conference in NBA History (post merger). Kobe was 3/3 in the finals by age 23, 5/7 by 30. Means jack shit.

Jordan was swept twice by Larry Bird's Celtics, a GOAT team candidate, in an Eastern Conference that was ultra strong. Even the GOAT putting up 44/6/6/2 (51% FG) and dropping a still record 63 points wasn't enough.

Bron's Cavs wouldn't have gotten a single win in those circumstances either. Notice how he also got swept the moment he saw a team that was good but nowhere near the realm of those Celtics squads.

Context only matters when it's in MJ's favor I guess.
As soon as LeBron got support as good as any of MJ's championship teams, he went 2/3.

After Bird's Celtics dropped off, how good was the East of MJ's championship period? I was just a kid, so I don't really know as much about the teams that didn't win rings. I've heard people say the 90's east was pretty weak outside of the Bulls and Pistons.
ralph_i_el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
As soon as LeBron got support as good as any of MJ's championship teams, he went 2/3.

After Bird's Celtics dropped off, how good was the East of MJ's championship period? I was just a kid, so I don't really know as much about the teams that didn't win rings. I've heard people say the 90's east was pretty weak outside of the Bulls and Pistons.

Then you've been listening to a bunch of idiots.

The Pistons were irrelevant after '91.

90s East- Jordan's Bulls, Shaq's Magic, Ewing's Knicks, Daugherty/Price's Cavs, Miller's Pacers, Zo/Hardaway's Heat, Even the Hornets and the Hawks strung together a few consecutive 50+ win seasons.

And overall, the early 90s had the most parity between the conferences. By the mid-late 90s, the East was stacked. In '96-'97 alone, the East had 6 50-win teams, 2 of those winning 60.

The 80s was all about the stacked East while the West was extremely top heavy (Lakers obviously) but weak overall. And no one needs to go into how much of a joke the East has been since the 00s began, especially in recent years.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
Trollsmasher
Testing Free Agency

what's this meme with Bran not being double teamed in the Finals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DinqVE0yp4M
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #13
sdot_thadon
Good High School Starter

Quote:

It probably was better than the recent east but don't let anyone tell you it was some sort of hard era, it wasnt.
sdot_thadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #14
3ball
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdot_thadon

but don't let anyone tell you it was some sort of hard era, it wasnt.

MJ defeated Shaq/Penny, while Lebron only needed to beat Hibbert/George - that's a massive drop-off.

It's common knowledge that MJ faced the far superior competition:

Last edited by 3ball : 08-25-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #15
3ball
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdot_thadon

It (the 90's) was probably better than the recent east

Exactly - MJ's era was better.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: