Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #16
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Greg Oden Becoming A Beast !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyFaceNDong
I have the same question as well. Also a 250 lb guy gaining 30 lbs of muscle in less than half a year sounds fishy.
I didn't even consider that part of it.

This seems more and more like a spin story that was presented to Blazer faithful to keep their hopes high.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #17
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Being unable to run at all while lifting a lot of weights (as he probably did), I don't see his weight gain as all that strange. Now, as some of you have pointed out, the 30 extra pounds may not be good for him, but bulking up has helped other players, like Dwight Howard. I am going to guess that the trainers in Portland know what they're doing. For now.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
mhg88
Local High School Star

mhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyFaceNDong
I have the same question as well. Also a 250 lb guy gaining 30 lbs of muscle in less than half a year sounds fishy.

Well, that's because it didn't happen.
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #19
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

until i see current pictures, i think those 30lbs are exaggerated. i think i saw him on tv recently, and his neck looked about the same. usually when you add more than 10% of your body weight, especially all in the upper body, your neck naturally thickens.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #20
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBBoyX
No because chances are he probably gained a little fat too but the ratio is still the same.
yes because in order for the ratio to stay the same with an increase in weight 7.8% of that new weight has to be fat.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #21
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Chris Webber did the same thing when he came back from knee surgery. When he came back he looked gigantic.

It was horrible though, he was way too slow and it added a ton of extra weight on an already weak knee.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #22
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Being unable to run at all while lifting a lot of weights (as he probably did), I don't see his weight gain as all that strange. Now, as some of you have pointed out, the 30 extra pounds may not be good for him, but bulking up has helped other players, like Dwight Howard.
Bulking up over the summer and regular and gaining 30 pounds of muscles in about 5 months are not the same. Plus Dwight wasn't doing it on a flat tire while skipping all lower body work.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #24
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

he was on Portland's bench the other night for the entire Denver game.

he was wearing a sports jacket so it was hard to tell but he didnt look wider or anything. im sure he's gotten bigger tho.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #25
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
Chris Webber did the same thing when he came back from knee surgery. When he came back he looked gigantic.

It was horrible though, he was way too slow and it added a ton of extra weight on an already weak knee.

i think that weight was from mostly burritos and weed munchies though. he kinda looked fat instead of "chiseled" when he returned.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #26
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

nah Webber was ripped a few years ago after coming back.

he became fat after that tho
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 PM   #27
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Took me 2 and a half years to put on 30 pounds. But I was in high school at the time and im sure I wasnt working out with the people or resources he has.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #28
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Oden didn't really have a problem being too slim anyway. Seeing that everybody else on that Portland squad is best suited running was the weight gain even necessary?
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:08 AM   #29
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

There is no way to add 30 pounds of muscle in 5 months, if you cannot work your legs. Even if you can, its certainly more than unrealistic, but without training your biggest muscles, you just cannot add that type of muscle. That rumor is most certainly wrong, or Oden got himself some good amount of steroids. Or he added some fat as well.

And if, by chance, he really did add the weight, I just hope he does some serious leg training and doesnt rush back to the court. Seriously, he's gonne break down if he does.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #30
mhg88
Local High School Star

mhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
There is no way to add 30 pounds of muscle in 5 months, if you cannot work your legs. Even if you can, its certainly more than unrealistic, but without training your biggest muscles, you just cannot add that type of muscle. That rumor is most certainly wrong, or Oden got himself some good amount of steroids. Or he added some fat as well.

And if, by chance, he really did add the weight, I just hope he does some serious leg training and doesnt rush back to the court. Seriously, he's gonne break down if he does.

Right. It's hard enough even if you were working legs. But to add 30 pounds of muscle all in the upper body is just not going to happen in that amount of time. Your body tries to even itself kind of. When I started working out I didn't work legs at first, then hit a plateau (well before I had gained 30 pounds..maybe 10-15). Started working legs and suddenly the weight started going up again. But if you look at the source of the article it's the Oregonian. Probably not the best source for unskewed information.
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: