Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 AM   #1
nicesinging1
Can barely lace up my sneakers

nicesinging1 has an OK reputation so far
Default How strong are NBA players really?

Recently I thought about how strong and endurable one has to be to be able to play a rigor of 82 games season in the NBA.
I heard from NBA sources that people who play major minutes in the NBA (40 minutes or more) end up running around 6 miles per game. Now add that to daily practice and pre-game shootaround.
That takes really tremendous stamina. As a person who have played basketball albeit recreationally, I know how it hurts like hell and wears you down when you play major minutes and run up and down the court.
That is why I am nothing but in awe when I see players like Allen Iverson who never seems to get tired despite playing 40 minutes or more every night in altitude in Denver.
Who are some of the strongest and most endurable players in the NBA you have seen who never seem to get tired during the game?
nicesinging1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
Bret Hart
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Bret Hart has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How strong are NBA players really?

There are some on every team.

If you want strength and endurance though, look no further than wrestlers.

Sorry, back to the point: I feel that for every Garnett, there is a Bosh. For every Kobe, there is a Josh Childress.
Bret Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Wilt averaged like 48 mins a game for season... dude was an iron man! (i dont know the exact stat, but its close to that)

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

yep, i think he actually avgd slightly over 48 mins per game, cuz of one overtime game
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 AM   #5
shawbryant
To be better

shawbryant is a pretty well-respected postershawbryant is a pretty well-respected postershawbryant is a pretty well-respected poster

exclude Yao, just a guess
PS: Im not a "Yao" *****
shawbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:41 AM   #6
mika
High School Varsity 12th Man

mika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputationmika has a terrific reputation

mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
gyu
Good college starter

gyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputation

Yao's stamina is better now I think, plays as much minutes as Garnett.
gyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #8
ShamRockStar
High school junior varsity star

ShamRockStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Wilt averaged like 48 mins a game for season... dude was an iron man! (i dont know the exact stat, but its close to that)

He also picked up a 200+ lb guy and threw him over a volleyball net, dude was a beast.

Earl Boykins supposedly can bench like 350 or something.

KG over the summer, his workouts include him running full sprints with a 200+lb guy attached to a resistance cord fighting him, and he posts up and has a the same guy pulling on him trying to get him to lose position as another guy is trying to steal the ball from him. And that was just part of his 2 hour workout every morning, and then he plays pickup games in the afternoon.

Ray Allen shoots 200 jumpshots before every game, and he runs an extra 2or 3 miles before every practice. I know Pierce does his normal conditioning workout the morning before games as well. KG runs extra full court sprints after every workout, and the young players join him.

NBA players are incredible athletes.
ShamRockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
DatDudeD
In DUKE mode

DatDudeD has decent reputation

Yeah they are world class athletes. I mean you should just check out some of there training regimens , it's rediculous what some of these guys do to stay in top of the line shape. I saw a Tmac workout video on youtube and he was doing things like FULL COURT KNEE RAISES with a 40lb medicine ball.....
DatDudeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #10
ShamRockStar

Baron Davis workout schedule, i will post just 1 day but it varies by day, check it out.

http://www.coachmarian.de/Spezials/W...BAworkout.html

DAY 2 (ONE HOUR)
Jump rope (400 jumps)
High knee-raise sprint Sprint the length of a basketball court staying on your toes and lifting your knees as high as possible. (20 sprints)
DynaDisc figure eight Step onto a pair of discs (they look like deflated dodge balls) holding a ten-pound medicine ball. (15 figure eights in each direction, as described earlier)
Seated reverse crunch Sit on a flat bench with your legs sticking straight out over the end. Supporting yourself with your arms, lean back until your upper body is at a 45-degree angle to the bench and slowly bring your knees up to your chest, keeping your upper body stable. Slowly return them to the start position to complete the move. (2 sets of 15)
Leg curl (2 sets of 10)
Seated leg extension (2 sets of 10)
Hip abduction (2 sets of 10 on the standard Nautilus apparatus)
Hip adduction (2 sets of 10)
Stability-ball dumbbell chest press (right)Like a standard chest press but while lying with your back on the ball to get in a little more work on the core. (2 sets of 10)
Dumbbell front raise You're now getting into the part of the workout designed to really carve up the shoulders. Making sure your arms remain just outside of shoulder width, raise first one, then the other, for one rep. (2 sets of 10)
Dumbbell lateral raise To work the outside of the shoulder, stand bending slightly at the waist, holding a weight in each hand, your palms facing each other. Raise your arms to the sides until they're parallel to the ground, then return. (2 sets of 10)
Rear deltoid dumbbell raise Lie face down on a bench set to a 45-degree incline with weights in each hand, your arms hanging off the bench and slightly bent. Keeping that same elbow bend, raise your arms to the sides until they are parallel to the ground, then return. (2 sets of 10)
Single-arm dumbbell row Now for the back of the shoulders, hold a weight in your right hand, lean over, and place your left hand and knee on a bench for support. Keeping your back slightly arched and your shoulders parallel to the ground, draw the weight-bearing elbow up toward the ceiling, then return. (2 sets of 10, then switch sides and repeat)
Stationary bike (25 minutes)
Old 11-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #11
DatDudeD
In DUKE mode

DatDudeD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamRockStar
Baron Davis workout schedule, i will post just 1 day but it varies by day, check it out.

DAY 2 (ONE HOUR)
• Jump rope (400 jumps)
• High knee-raise sprint Sprint the length of a basketball court staying on your toes and lifting your knees as high as possible. (20 sprints)
• DynaDisc figure eight Step onto a pair of discs (they look like deflated dodge balls) holding a ten-pound medicine ball. (15 figure eights in each direction, as described earlier)
• Seated reverse crunch Sit on a flat bench with your legs sticking straight out over the end. Supporting yourself with your arms, lean back until your upper body is at a 45-degree angle to the bench and slowly bring your knees up to your chest, keeping your upper body stable. Slowly return them to the start position to complete the move. (2 sets of 15)
• Leg curl (2 sets of 10)
• Seated leg extension (2 sets of 10)
• Hip abduction (2 sets of 10 on the standard Nautilus apparatus)
• Hip adduction (2 sets of 10)
• Stability-ball dumbbell chest press (right)Like a standard chest press but while lying with your back on the ball to get in a little more work on the core. (2 sets of 10)
• Dumbbell front raise You're now getting into the part of the workout designed to really carve up the shoulders. Making sure your arms remain just outside of shoulder width, raise first one, then the other, for one rep. (2 sets of 10)
• Dumbbell lateral raise To work the outside of the shoulder, stand bending slightly at the waist, holding a weight in each hand, your palms facing each other. Raise your arms to the sides until they're parallel to the ground, then return. (2 sets of 10)
• Rear deltoid dumbbell raise Lie face down on a bench set to a 45-degree incline with weights in each hand, your arms hanging off the bench and slightly bent. Keeping that same elbow bend, raise your arms to the sides until they are parallel to the ground, then return. (2 sets of 10)
• Single-arm dumbbell row Now for the back of the shoulders, hold a weight in your right hand, lean over, and place your left hand and knee on a bench for support. Keeping your back slightly arched and your shoulders parallel to the ground, draw the weight-bearing elbow up toward the ceiling, then return. (2 sets of 10, then switch sides and repeat)
• Stationary bike (25 minutes)

I would probably get to the 3rd exercise and quit......
DatDudeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:59 AM   #12
ShamRockStar

I doubt i could jump rope 400 times, LOL
Old 11-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #13
SomeBunghole
Banned

SomeBunghole has an OK reputation so far

MLB players are so much smarter than NBA ones. Why work your ass off like an idiot when you can just shoot yourself up with steroids.

Seriously, though, NBA players are, on average, greatest physical specimens in pro sports.
SomeBunghole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #14
ShamRockStar

Harvard medical school studied Havlicek's heart, i remember hearing that, the guy was known for his ability to run forever.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:42 AM   #15
ekzistenz
Decent playground baller

ekzistenz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamRockStar

DAY 2 (ONE HOUR)
Jump rope (400 jumps)
High knee-raise sprint Sprint the length of a basketball court staying on your toes and lifting your knees as high as possible. (20 sprints)
DynaDisc figure eight Step onto a pair of discs (they look like deflated dodge balls) holding a ten-pound medicine ball. (15 figure eights in each direction, as described earlier)
Seated reverse crunch Sit on a flat bench with your legs sticking straight out over the end. Supporting yourself with your arms, lean back until your upper body is at a 45-degree angle to the bench and slowly bring your knees up to your chest, keeping your upper body stable. Slowly return them to the start position to complete the move. (2 sets of 15)
Leg curl (2 sets of 10)
Seated leg extension (2 sets of 10)
Hip abduction (2 sets of 10 on the standard Nautilus apparatus)
Hip adduction (2 sets of 10)
Stability-ball dumbbell chest press (right)Like a standard chest press but while lying with your back on the ball to get in a little more work on the core. (2 sets of 10)
Dumbbell front raise You're now getting into the part of the workout designed to really carve up the shoulders. Making sure your arms remain just outside of shoulder width, raise first one, then the other, for one rep. (2 sets of 10)
Dumbbell lateral raise To work the outside of the shoulder, stand bending slightly at the waist, holding a weight in each hand, your palms facing each other. Raise your arms to the sides until they're parallel to the ground, then return. (2 sets of 10)
Rear deltoid dumbbell raise Lie face down on a bench set to a 45-degree incline with weights in each hand, your arms hanging off the bench and slightly bent. Keeping that same elbow bend, raise your arms to the sides until they are parallel to the ground, then return. (2 sets of 10)
Single-arm dumbbell row Now for the back of the shoulders, hold a weight in your right hand, lean over, and place your left hand and knee on a bench for support. Keeping your back slightly arched and your shoulders parallel to the ground, draw the weight-bearing elbow up toward the ceiling, then return. (2 sets of 10, then switch sides and repeat)
Stationary bike (25 minutes)

I don't think that's Davis' real workout. It says he does a 6 hour per day workout. The workout you posted isn't actually that strenuous. About an hour a day.
ekzistenz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: