Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-15-2007, 12:20 AM   #1
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation
Default So... The bust...

Im talking about Marvin Williams. Last two years everyone has basically written him off as a complete bust. For the 3rd year in his career though he is ahead of where Tmac and Kobe were at the same age? When will he start to get some credit on here as the outstanding prospect that he is?

I mean guy is dropping 18 a game at a stupid percentage on a good up and coming team, is it because he was drafted by ATL that people expect or think he busted? If you haven't watched him over the last 3 years you are missing out, he is going to be special and he can flat out play.

Thoughts? Anyone ready to admit they were wrong on him or will the hate continue?
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: So... The bust...

I was marginally wrong. I never doubted he'd be worthwhile at some point. I just think Jawad needs to be in the league somewhere, and also that ATL's more pressing needs at the time was at the 1 spot and they passed on 2 great ones
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
JPR
Banned

JPR has decent reputation

what a corky name you have, mate! isn't that how they talk down under? Perth...what a beautiful city it is. probably the most underrated skyline in the world.

marvin williams...yeah i was wrong about the guy but i never thought much of him to begin with. we'll see if he can keep it up.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

He certainly hasn't gone unnoticed by me. He's an ace for FG% on my fantasy team.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

He just needed time to improve his game to NBA standards...and now with him bein one of the leading options to go to, he has finally adjusted...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
Human Error
Proves idiots wrong

Human Error is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHuman Error is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I admit that I was somewhat wrong in thinking that he would never live up to his draft status, because he looks like an all-star in the making, but if you ask me that if I could turn back time and still would draft Marvin Williams ahead of Deron Williams, I would have to say thanks but no thanks. The Hawks' most pressing need at that time was a playmaker and it's always harder to find a great pointer guard than a great wing forward. But what's been said by Wogi was basically right, the Hawks have a very promising frontcourt in Marvin Williams, Josh Smith and Al Horford, they did reach a year ago though... (Shelden Williams)

Last edited by Human Error : 11-15-2007 at 12:35 AM.
Human Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:32 AM   #7
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I don't think the consensus was Marvin would be worthless. I think the consensus was he would never be worth more to his team than Paul or Deron would have been.

besides, he's like Rudy Gay. just another pretty good player. nondescript. replaceable.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

what i dont get is people talk about this guy like he was some freak athlete or something. I dont see any of that in his game. if anything hes more a short jump shooter than anything resembling freak athlete.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 AM   #9
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
what i dont get is people talk about this guy like he was some freak athlete or something. I dont see any of that in his game. if anything hes more a short jump shooter than anything resembling freak athlete.

He is a freak athlete. You might not notice it because he is smooth, but he is very athletic. I think that's what I like so much about him, he is athletic as all hell but he just plays basketball, a lot like Melo in that regard, you don't notice the athlete before the player.

I didn't mention who he was taken over, I still think they probably made a mistake as well, but a lot of people had written Marvin the player off because two guys who should have outproduced him did outproduce him. I'm not sure he will ever be good enough to justify the drafting, but I think he can. He has the ability to be a Tmac level talent, if he gets there he makes that choice a real tough one. I guess he is just the guy I chose as an example for people giving up on young guys too fast. These days players don't come out of college NBA ready, yet people seem to think they should. For instance all the people that are still giving Dorrell Wright or J.R Smith time(I'm one on Dorrell) but had written off another guy from his class in Marvin just because he went to college.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:22 AM   #10
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
what i dont get is people talk about this guy like he was some freak athlete or something. I dont see any of that in his game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzci8pdoCxY

he is quite athletic
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:22 AM   #11
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

in my eyes unless he reaches the status of perennial allstar he will be considered a bust.

I know cliche to bring up his draft postition, and also its unfair to compare him to Chris Paul and Deron Williams, but they're gonna be allstar-considerations for the next 8 years.

Adding the glaring need for point guards and the lack of need for 6'8" swingmen, he has to have a hell of a career for me to not think he's a gigantic mistake/bust.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 AM   #12
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
Adding the glaring need for point guards and the lack of need for 6'8" swingmen, he has to have a hell of a career for me to not think he's a gigantic mistake/bust.

See that's not fair. I think he will be what you expect of him or damn close, I see a guy capable of dropping 25 a game at a high clip but mistake and bust are different things to me. Bust would mean he is no good, he is already good, a bit more improvement and he is very, very good. He can be a mistake without being a bust. For instance, and a very extreme example, but Hakeem was a "mistake" but not a bust. If Marvin becomes a 25 and 6 or so player for the next 8 years, hard to call him a bust to me, even if Deron becomes the best PG ever.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:41 AM   #13
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
See that's not fair. I think he will be what you expect of him or damn close, I see a guy capable of dropping 25 a game at a high clip but mistake and bust are different things to me. Bust would mean he is no good, he is already good, a bit more improvement and he is very, very good. He can be a mistake without being a bust. For instance, and a very extreme example, but Hakeem was a "mistake" but not a bust. If Marvin becomes a 25 and 6 or so player for the next 8 years, hard to call him a bust to me, even if Deron becomes the best PG ever.

I understand your argument, and that its really not fair to make comparisons like that. However i just realized i omitted the term "relative bust" from my reply.

I know that he is going to end up being a good starter for the next decade, but in terms of the Hawks' opportunity cost of having another good starter over what they could have had is far too much to overlook.

And yes the Hakeem example is very extreme. The Rockets didn't already have good centers at the time of drafting Hakeem, otherwise they would have taken Jordan or Drexler. The Hawks obviously had good swingmen and really didn't need another one.

I'm just pissed because I'm big fans of Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, and Al Horford, so if you combine that with an All-NBA point guard you have serious playoff contenders for at least the next 6-8 years
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:56 AM   #14
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I don't think the consensus was Marvin would be worthless. I think the consensus was he would never be worth more to his team than Paul or Deron would have been.

besides, he's like Rudy Gay. just another pretty good player. nondescript. replaceable.
Like Arenas, Butler, and Jamison. At least the Hawks are winning.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:27 AM   #15
32MJ32
PG, Boonville Jerkoffs

32MJ32 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1

Good post.
32MJ32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: