Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-14-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default anyone read the book by Paul Shirley?

I checked out a copy today from the local library. OMG he is so funny and insightful. He has had to go through a lot, but has maintained a great sense of humor. Some funny lines from the book:

On getting cut from Lakers' preseason camp and getting a job in Europe:

"Any contact with the NBA is like crack to European coaches. I think it helps with public relations to be able to add "former NBA player" to the back end of a players's resume, even if it's only true by the loosest definition of what an NBA players is"

........"in practice one day, when Bryant blocked a poorly executed shot of mine and, in the process, knocked me to the floor (probably due to an uncoordinated recovery on my part, not because of a foul on his) I found my temporary nemesis standing over me, legs straddling my midsection. He began venting his rage at the gall it had taken for me to challenge the area around the basket with my ill conceived, pathetic attempt at a basketball shot. The sentence(s) he used included the following words: *****, ever, don'
t, weak, ****, bring, AND in here. The order in which he used them remains unclear. I was had no idea why he felt so threatened that he was yelling at me, the white guy who would probably be the first player released. Given it to do over again, I'd have punched him, or at least, kicked him in the testicles?

(during his first NBA training camp, in which held low expectations for him)
anything I did beyond successfully putting on my own uniform and/or not defecating in that same uniform was viewed as an improvement on expectations

:

overall, very good book, and different from the typical DRECK that comes from sporting figures who write books
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: anyone read the book by Paul Shirley?

What is it called?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
What is it called?
"Can I keep my jersey"?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

yeah it was awesome. really quick read. the section where he's in Russia should just be edited out though. that part is a bigtime lull. when you get to it just skip it.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
"Can I keep my jersey"?
Alright cool I'll see if my library has it.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 PM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

don't be jealous guys but.....................

I have a Paul Shirley AUTOGRAPH

I saw him a few years ago when I was down in Miami Beach for Spring Break and the Suns were playing the Heat. He was the only player for PHX who stopped to sign during pregame.

would LOVE to see a photoshot of him doing a fancy dunk or something :
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: