Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-15-2007, 12:17 AM   #16
FireMcFailPlease
Loserville USA

FireMcFailPlease has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Sebastian Telfair video. Waste of talent or overrated talent to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
For the ones he botches he makes circus ones. Inconsistent yeah, but just plain terrible? Not buying.
I know, i gave him a steady 7 out of 10 so far.

I think his assist to turnover ratio is good too, which is one thing I pay a lot of attention to for PG's.
FireMcFailPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:29 AM   #17
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation
Default Re: Sebastian Telfair video. Waste of talent or overrated talent to begin with?

He has been pretty good this year. Scrap that, he has been pretty good his whole career.

He was overrated as a prospect and should have gone to college but he really isn't doing badly, I personally didn't expect anything out of him until he was in his 5th year when he came out because he wasn't NBA ready at all. He does have some talent, if he could stick in one place and get solid minutes he could be a very good starter, he has legit talent, the ability to be a star PG but skipping college and landing in some bad positions(under Doc Rivers and in Portland) has set him back. Wouldn't be surprised if he never becomes anything, also wouldn't be at all shocked if he is an all star at some point. Really does remind me a bit of Kenny Anderson in the way he plays, or a smaller, poor defense version of JKidd also. He can't shoot and the biggest problem is he doesn't finish like those two could but the passing skills are there.

Certainly was one of those HS types you shouldn't have expected anything until his 4th year at best, not an Amare or LeBron type. Those guys were physical freaks that could and still do get by on it. Telfair is quick but he isn't that quick he can get by on that, is still learning the position at this level and it's the toughest position to learn. Still has a chance, if Minny really want to build for the future he should be starting around the all star break and be getting some serious development and focus from their coaches.

Minny should have their PG, SG, SF, PF and 6th man for the future if they play it right and actually develop them. Telfair can be a star, Green can be a damn good player, Brewer will be rock solid and can be a star stopper, Jefferson is the franchise player and has the ability to be just that and McCants should be an elite 6th man with his skill set, mind set might be the biggest problem. Future can be bright if they play their cards right and are patient and give the kids a chance. Wouldn't mind seeing them pick up a guy like Charles Oakley to fill a roster spot and teach the young guys a thing or two and keep them working hard.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:36 AM   #18
Chrono90
Local High School Star

Chrono90 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

same old story for me. Should have went to college for 2 years.
Chrono90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:41 AM   #19
applejoe
Decent playground baller

applejoe has an OK reputation so far

Video was boring. No wonder Telfair sucks, all he does is shoot jumpers in the pro
applejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #20
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
if he wasn't from new york, he wouldn't have gotten 1/10 of that hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR
can't leave out if he wasn't related to stephon marbury, he wouldn't of been hyped that much to begin with.

Yeah, it had nothing at all to do with the fact that he was simply better than and outplayed all the PG prospects from his age range.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #21
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

i had enormous hopes for bassy. those are pretty low now. if he can secure and keep a starting spot as a reliable pg who can push the pace, i'd be satisfied at this point. you could see something was wrong with his game in the through the fire movie when he couldn't really handle his older brother's game, and his bro played in greece or italy i think. i initially wrote it off that his brother was just a tweener and he was giving it to him on size, but the holes that held telfair back then are still holding him now. too weak physically. can't hit a j to save his life. can't help thinking that he would have been a god at louisville though.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #22
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Overrated talent. Has the potential to be a decent starter but won't be a great player and never should have been labeled as a great talent. How many great point guards have been small, lacked a jumper, and didn't defend? Few and far between.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #23
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
i had enormous hopes for bassy. those are pretty low now. if he can secure and keep a starting spot as a reliable pg who can push the pace, i'd be satisfied at this point. you could see something was wrong with his game in the through the fire movie when he couldn't really handle his older brother's game, and his bro played in greece or italy i think. i initially wrote it off that his brother was just a tweener and he was giving it to him on size, but the holes that held telfair back then are still holding him now. too weak physically. can't hit a j to save his life. can't help thinking that he would have been a god at louisville though.
To judge Sebastian for not being able to stop Jamel is unfair at best and flat out ridiculous at worst.

Jamel is a 6'6" 225 SF who has been one of the best players in Europe for the last six years. He's actually been turning down NBA contracts the last three years cause they haven't worth enough to make playing domestically worth the effort.

That would be like lowering your evaluation of OJ Mayo cause he can't guard Taj Gibson one on one.

Last edited by Da KO King : 11-15-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #24
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
To judge Sebastian for not being able to stop Jamel is unfair at best and flat out ridiculous at worst.

Jamel is a 6'6" 225 SF who has been one of the best players in Europe for the last six years. He's actually been turning down NBA contracts the last three years cause they haven't worth enough to make playing domestically worth the effort.

That would be like lowering your evaluation of OJ Mayo cause he can't guard Taj Gibson one on one.
i didn't realize he was that big, but my point was that in the movie he didn't even seem to be competing or getting better. he actually seemed to get worse as his time training overseas progressed.

my evaluation actually came from his nba play. i just had a warning flag go up when i saw his fiba-playing brother taking him to the woodshed in training footage.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #25
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

to be blunt, anyone who thinks Telfair has talent based on his NBA play i have no respect for theyre opinion on players games period. Either your blind, have no idea of what having game is, or are making stuff up based on past hype/play(high school). I've seen Telfair from his days with Portland to now, not every game but a good portion of them, and i dont see how any of y'all can pretend he has potential in the NBA based on his play to be good ...a roleplayer maybe.

I've honestly never been more critical of a NBA player than i am of Telfair. Its nothing personal either, dude just hasnt shown anything above average as a NBA player, and in case some of you forgot this is the NBA, average PG's who dont excel at anything arent supposed to be starting in this league, let alone some possible future star. This is a league where the best of the best of college generally have a hard time making a roster, nevermind starting.

Never been more sure of a player being overrated/overcredited than Telfair. I just dont get where some of you are seeing all this game/potential...surely not from TWolves games. From that high school highlight clip? ok i can get that but like i said this is the NBA, not against high school players with a stacked team.

I really think of anyone here had Telfairs body or close could do exactly what hes done for the TWolves this year....just dribble up pass off, take the open shot miss, occasionally hit a few meh. really dude has shown nothing. And when he was with the Blazers he was awful and would blowup 1 out of 20 games even if he gunn'd, only because he'd get lucky that 1 game with those lame running jumpers - a bad PG's version of driving to the hoop.

Last edited by Smokee : 11-15-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #26
johndough
Great young streetballer

johndough has decent reputation

Overrated from day one...he was set up for failure*.Darius Washington was a better HS player.
johndough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #27
Da KO King

Quote:
i didn't realize he was that big, but my point was that in the movie he didn't even seem to be competing or getting better. he actually seemed to get worse as his time training overseas progressed.
Considering the intensity of Jamel's workouts and the fact that the time-zone difference meant Sebastian's body was not up to playing at the time I still feel its unfair.

Jamel, like all the Marbury-Telfair-Thomas Clan, is a workout nut. Sebastian went to visit after his PSAL season was over. To expect a kid who just finished a full "elite" High School program season (let's be honest kids at "elite" high schools get over-worked) to keep up when his body swears to Christ it should be in bed isn't realistic.

Hell, NCAA players take a month or two off and still get gassed when doing pre-draft training.

Quote:
my evaluation actually came from his nba play. i just had a warning flag go up when i saw his fiba-playing brother taking him to the woodshed in training footage.
I realized it wasn't where you totally made your evaluation. I meant to say simply holding it against him at all is unfair. Poor wording on my part.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #28
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
to be blunt, anyone who thinks Telfair has talent based on his NBA play i have no respect for theyre opinion on players games period.....

........And when he was with the Blazers he was awful and would blowup 1 out of 20 games even if he gunn'd, only because he'd get lucky that 1 game with those lame running jumpers - a bad PG's version of driving to the hoop.
Yeah, you clearly have no bias or agenda.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #29
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

both? Still gotta remember that all these "wastes" are very young and generally still learning the mental aspects of the game. very different from even 20 years ago. going from highschool level coaching to the nba is a big step and very few have been able to do it (those that have tend to rely more on physical gifts than a high bball iq).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #30
Raindrops
I hit open layups

Raindrops has an OK reputation so far

He just has too many holes in his game right now to be effective. He cant shoot so people back off him or help off of him and also cut off passing lanes. He can penetrate and get to the rim but has no strength to take contact and finish, so he has to throw up wild looking shots that dont work that well. He is a very gifted passer, but is either unwilling, or like I said above, cant get a good passing lane.
Raindrops is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: