Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Clyde the Glide's All-Around Game

the thread about point forwards and the thread about kobe never having a 2:1 asst / to ratio got me thinking about just what a good playmaker drexler really was (i know he's not a forward, but he fits into that mcgrady - could be but isn't category of 2 guard). i think that his total floor game is sort of forgotten today and wanted to make a congrats to being awesome thread for clyde.

for a guy who never actually played a minute of pg and didn't dominate the ball, he was exceptional at getting his teammates involved. he had tremendous vision and made quick, decisive moves that often led to great dishes inside and out. he has the highest ass/gm for a career of all retired 2 guards (and he's far enough in front of jordan that i don't think removing mj's wizard days would make a difference for those who like to pretend that comeback never happened). only wade and iverson are ahead of him if you count current guys and both of them have played enough time at the pg to boost their assists above what you'd expect of a 2 guard. only bird ranks above him when looking at guys who have never played point guard.

actually his whole all-around game is underrated. he has more total rebounds than any guard other than oscar and more offensive boards than any guard by almost 1000 (jordan is second though they didn't differentiate in the 60s, so it's actually probably oscar out in front here too). point being you've got a guy who passed like a pg (highest per game 8assts), rebounded like a forward (highest per game 8rbds), and scored like a top level sg (highest per game 27pts on 21 shots).

he's also #4 in total blocks by a guard (behind iceman, mj, and harper) and #13 all-time in total steals.

he only made 1 all-nba first team, but before his injury in 1993 he only played 1 year as a starter (subbed in for jim paxson as a rookie) where he didn't have to compete with michael jordan AND magic johnson. nobody was beating out those two. also had zeke and stockton in their primes to deal with. really he only had 1 opportunity before he got hurt, and he made it that year.

the only knock i've got on drexler is that he took bad shots in the vince carter vein. other than that you've got a guy who scores with the carters / pierces of the world, rebounds with the dengs / lebrons, and makes plays for his teammates with the wades / mcgradys. defensively he was not the most focused player, but when he zoned in he was very capable and as his stats suggest he was a great help defender / passing lane poacher. he hit big shots in clutch situations and never backed down from the competition. he played an enormous role in the rocket's repeat as champions in 95 and hit an amazing turnaround shot over gary payton to move them past the sonics into the conference finals in 97.

according to my fiancee he is also the single worst dancer ever to appear on dancing with the stars. i don't know if that's a point of pride for him, but i'm impressed.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation
Default Re: Clyde the Glide's All-Around Game

Clyde was a shooting guard/small forward, so I think it's fair to talk about him the way you are.

"according to my fiancee he is also the single worst dancer ever to appear on dancing with the stars. i don't know if that's a point of pride for him, but i'm impressed." That's a plus... I don't think Michael Jordan can dance either.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
allball
National High School Star

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation

Clyde was a really good passer. he is also one of the greatest finishers in the history of the game. when he tried to be a true shooting guard that just wasnt Clyde's game and you would see those bad shots. He wasn't quite a true SF either. just a great athlete.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Indian guy
Very good NBA starter

Indian guy has decent reputation

I've always believed Drexler is the best passing SG to ever play this game and probably the best open court player at his position too.
Indian guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Yes! My favorite player! I became a Blazers and Drexler fan in 1989....so I got to see a majority of his career. Although Magic and MJ were in the upper tier of superstars, Clyde was right there in the next tier. I like the fact that his teammates liked playing with him and he was unselfish. His old teammate Mychal Thompson has called him the best athlete he's ever seen. I must admit too that he is the worst all-time Dancing With the Stars dancer.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

one quick anecdote about clyde's raw athleticism / grit - i saw a quick clip of a dream team practice sometime during the 92 olympics or the tournament of americas that i haven't seen since (so we're talking about 15 years ago and i'm sure i'm over-doing it in my head) where clyde made maybe the most impressive defensive recovery i've ever seen. jordan lost drexler on a screen (barkley i think) and blasted by malone. robinson stepped up and mike spun by the admiral and extended for a patented mj flip shot in the lane when out of nowhere (or at least way off camera), clyde (who was left way back above the free throw line on the pick), flew into the lane and blocked the shot with authority. just an incredible play in the amount of time he had to react and recover.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

This thread has reminded me of how excited I am to become an "old" NBA fan. Being able to look back upon personally-watched players and bring to light parts of the game that have been overlooked or underappreciated will be sweet. I can't wait to have watched the game through multiple eras and really be able to compare different types of basketball.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

You know what Clyde has that puts him above every single player in the NBA today?

Class. Drexler just oozed a silent, unobtrusive charisma that to me makes him one of the most likeable players ever. And he never ever seemed out of control on the court.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Clyde Drexler is the greatness, my favorite player. I agree with everything said even the dancing. I didn't start watching hoops until 94, so I didn't know of Drexler until his last half season in Portland, and I liked him a lot. But when he got traded to my hometown Rockets on Valentines day 1995, he was officially my favorite. When dude put his head down in the open court, it was over, someone was goin' to be on Inside Stuff.

Also, I think Clyde did play a little point guard in his early years. I've seen him taking the ball down court and setting up the offense.

Dude had some very impressive stat lines. He's one of only three players (Oscar and Hondo) with over 22,000 points, 6,000 assist and 6,000 rebounds.

1986: 18.5 / 5.6 boards and 6 assist.
1988: 27 / 6.6 and 5.8
1989: 27.2 / 7.9 and 5.8
1992: 25 / 6.6 and 6.7
1996: 19.3 / 7.2 and 5.8
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Dude had some very impressive stat lines. He's one of only three players (Oscar and Hondo) with over 22,000 points, 6,000 assist and 6,000 rebounds.

1986: 18.5 / 5.6 boards and 6 assist.
1988: 27 / 6.6 and 5.8
1989: 27.2 / 7.9 and 5.8
1992: 25 / 6.6 and 6.7
1996: 19.3 / 7.2 and 5.8

His line in 1988 was actually 18.5 pts/5.6 reb/8.0 ast, not 6 ast.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #11
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
His line in 1988 was actually 18.5 pts/5.6 reb/8.0 ast, not 6 ast.
you mean 1986? be correct when you correct someone man!

anybody know where to look up mvp voting? i'd be interesting in seeing where he landed in 92.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan

anybody know where to look up mvp voting? i'd be interesting in seeing where he landed in 92.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_1992.html
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Yeah I meant 8 assist not 6. Clyde was number 2 in MVP voting in 1992. He was number 5 in 88 I believe and number 6 in 91.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #14
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
sorry if i'm being dense, but i still don't see where the voting tallies for mvp are.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #15
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
sorry if i'm being dense, but i still don't see where the voting tallies for mvp are.

http://members.aol.com/apbrhist/nbamvps.html

ALL Time NBA Most Valuable Player Voting

Go to the 1991-92 NBA Season

Michael Jordan - 900 Votes
Clyde Drexler- 560 Votes
David Robinson- 337 Votes
Karl Malone- 262 Votes
Patrick Ewing- 200 Votes
Chris Mullin- 81 Votes

Last edited by Lebron23 : 11-08-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: