Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #16
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation
Default Re: why did seattle pick jeff green?

Quote:
To me green will be nothing more than a role player. A childress type impact. AKA not worth Ray Allen.

Ray Allen would be a negative influence on the Sonics over the next few years. Not personality wise but basketball wise. He would win a few games here and there which would cost them a couple of slots in the draft.

They are still at least 1 or 2 elite talents from ever being competitive and they need those top picks to get them. Ray gets them the 5th or 6th pick instead of 1 or 2(cant bank on the lottery bailing you out all the time). Sometimes you have to get really bad before you can be great.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 AM   #17
AlThornton
Great young streetballer

AlThornton has an OK reputation so far

maybe Presti is so smart he is showcasing Wally, and Wilkins, so some team might be dumb enough to trade for them, and thus giving Seattle even more draft picks to rebuild with.
AlThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #18
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
To me green will be nothing more than a role player. A childress type impact. AKA not worth Ray Allen.
You under-rate Green's ability. Green will be a Andres Nocioni-type player.

Good enough to a be "complimentary starter" on most teams where as Josh Childress is a "top of the bench" guy pretty much any place he goes.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #19
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Jeff Green is alrite.

He's actually a pretty good defender for those who said he wasn't. Great All-Around player. He isn't getting much time though. He plays the 3 and the 4, Wally/Damien taking up time at the 3, and Collison/Wilcox work the 4...
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #20
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

I think Green was a bad pick. Trading Allen for #5 was a great decision - the Sonics were right to all-out build around Durant. But to my eyes Green and Durant are both SFs. I don't think they should have drafted another guy at the same position unless he was on another teir compared to all the other available draftees.

Durant doesn't have the strength to guard NBA PFs, and Green doesn't have the height. So how do you play them together? Are they really seeing Durant as a SG longterm?

Yi would have been a better pick. At 7' and with a good frame, he projects to be a real PF, and seems to be on a higher talent level than Green.

Noah would have also been a better pick. He can provide the defense and intensity that Durant doesn't.

With that said, I haven't watched the Sonics enough yet for my opinions to be very valuable to anyone.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #21
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Noah at #5? THAT would be a waste of a pick.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #22
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World

loot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation hereloot has an incredible reputation here

people are judging green on stats here. watch him play. he's good.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #23
Darius
Good college starter

Darius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat cool

In the game I saw he looked real good.

Very athletic and coordinated.

Don't know how he'll turn out but definently high lottery talent.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #24
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
Jeff Green is alrite.

He's actually a pretty good defender for those who said he wasn't. Great All-Around player. He isn't getting much time though. He plays the 3 and the 4, Wally/Damien taking up time at the 3, and Collison/Wilcox work the 4...

Yeah.

He doesn't fit right now, but he was just the best player left. The only other player I'd consider picking at that point would be Brewer, but then you'd have the same problems.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #25
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIN-PAX-WE-TRUST is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I hope the Sonics go 0-82...that way they have the best chance of getting Rose in the draft next year...can you imagine a team in 5 years with Rose and Durant?
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #26
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Only player still available at 5 that I had ranked higher than Jeff Green was Yi Jianlian. With that said I honestly think Green and Durant work better than Yi and Durant would have. Green is a far better defender than Yi is. Green also plays a lot stronger and is a better passer.

Green is a combo F is the mold of Andres Nocioni. Has the bulk (both weigh around 235-240 lbs) to take advantage of most SF's and the skill to take advantage of PF's on the offensive end. Both give great effort on defense with Green having the advantage of playing bigger than his 6'9" height because of his 7' wingspan.

Unless I'm mistaken the only reason Green is not seeing major minutes currently is because he sprained an ankle a few weeks ago. By the end of the season I doubt anyone questions why Green went fifth overall.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #27
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Only player still available at 5 that I had ranked higher than Jeff Green was Yi Jianlian. With that said I honestly think Green and Durant work better than Yi and Durant would have. Green is a far better defender than Yi is. Green also plays a lot stronger and is a better passer.

Green is a combo F is the mold of Andres Nocioni. Has the bulk (both weigh around 235-240 lbs) to take advantage of most SF's and the skill to take advantage of PF's on the offensive end. Both give great effort on defense with Green having the advantage of playing bigger than his 6'9" height because of his 7' wingspan.

Unless I'm mistaken the only reason Green is not seeing major minutes currently is because he sprained an ankle a few weeks ago. By the end of the season I doubt anyone questions why Green went fifth overall.
did you happen to see the reverse he hit the other night (against denver i think)? didn't look possible from where he took off but that arm just kept extending inspector-gadget-like, and he hit it. i like his game. he plays with good focus and intensity. defends. gets to the rim. seems unselfish. reminds me a little of young pippen with more size and less hops.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #28
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

I hated on Green a little bit going into the draft, but without good reason. He looks like he'll fit really well into a team concept. Has lots of positives in his game and has good physical tools.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #29
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
did you happen to see the reverse he hit the other night (against denver i think)? didn't look possible from where he took off but that arm just kept extending inspector-gadget-like, and he hit it. i like his game. he plays with good focus and intensity. defends. gets to the rim. seems unselfish. reminds me a little of young pippen with more size and less hops.
I did see that reverse. It was a really impressive play.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #30
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Green is a far better defender than Yi is.
Then he must be Bowen/Artest elite, beacuse Yi has done a really nice job, excluding the first game against Orlando. Yi's quick, athletic, and has been blocking 2 shots a game already. I'd go with Green is slightly better, until I see more results from him.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: