Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
LilJonIsSoCrunk
banned camp

LilJonIsSoCrunk has an OK reputation so far
Default Kobe's breakout game on NBA TV right now!!!

2000 Finals, game 4
LilJonIsSoCrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kobe's breakout game on NBA TV right now!!!

Yeah... and what else is new...
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

ForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputationForceOfNature has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Yeah... and what else is new...

Yeah, I think I've seen that game at least 5 times in the past year from ESPNClassic/NBATV.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

People forget Kobe was awful that series. Like 16 ppg on 35 FG%. Shaq was a BEAST that series averaging 38.0 ppg and 16.7 rpg
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool

2001 you mean?

and kobe had already broke out
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
People forget Kobe was awful that series. Like 16 ppg on 35 FG%. Shaq was a BEAST that series averaging 38.0 ppg and 16.7 rpg

Yeah, he was outplayed -- badly -- by both Reggie Miller and Jalen Rose that series. It's funny that one 4th quarter was hyped to such a ridiculous degree -- they overhyping of Kobe has never really stopped, actually, despite the fact that he's become a fantastic player.

I guess that's why it's called a "breakout game" and not a "breakout series" -- hard to have a breakout series when you average 18.7 pts on 36.7% shooting (excluding the game where he played 7 minutes). But despite this poor showing, the hype train was already in motion.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Yeah, he was outplayed -- badly -- by both Reggie Miller and Jalen Rose that series. It's funny that one 4th quarter was hyped to such a ridiculous degree -- they overhyping of Kobe has never really stopped, actually, despite the fact that he's become a fantastic player.

I guess that's why it's called a "breakout game" and not a "breakout series" -- hard to have a breakout series when you average 18.7 pts on 36.7% shooting (excluding the game where he played 7 minutes). But despite this poor showing, the hype train was already in motion.

Loki is there a way to subscribe to threads that mention the name "kobe" or "jordan"?

Just wondering how you always find yourself replying to every kobe or jordan thread. If so let me know how to do it.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
ALlArOuNDPIaya
Rational on Kobe

ALlArOuNDPIaya has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
Loki is there a way to subscribe to threads that mention the name "kobe" or "jordan"?

Just wondering how you always find yourself replying to every kobe or jordan thread. If so let me know how to do it.
Hilarious.
ALlArOuNDPIaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Maybe because 50% of the threads on ISH are about Kobe? His supporters are psychopaths.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #10
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people

Quote:

Notice how these guys always make it personal instead of commenting on the subject of what was said. I don't see what's so wrong about pointing out, you know, how Kobe actually PERFORMED in the series.

I've heard much over the years about this game from Kobe fans when they want to point out his "legendary" performances. When you look at how he did in the overall series, it just further adds to the overhyping of Bryant by those that are more interested in his legend, then what he's actually accomplished.

I mean, seriously. Looking at how he did in the series, why is this game so special that it needs to be talked about? As shown, his overall performance was hardly legendary. Far from it. But you'd think with the way he's been hyped for it, that it was indicative of a consistant series performing the same way.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:55 PM   #11
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I mean, seriously. Looking at how he did in the series, why is this game so special that it needs to be talked about?
Because he carried his team to victory in OT after his team's best player fouled out? Sounds fairly special to me? And why shouldn't it be special? He was extremely clutch in that OT, pretty much handed his team the victory. Aren't you the one who always speaks of how much a guy steps up in the bigger moments? Isn't that what Kobe did here?

The whole "I got you" thing also added to the drama nicely. Sure it was overdone, but then, isn't everything overdone in the NBA when it comes to dramatic/clutch moments? It's a way the NBA sells tickets. People like that kind of thing.

I do remember those first few games by Shaq though. Definition of dominant. What was it, 44/23 and 42/24 or something. Crazy ****.

Quote:
2001 you mean?

Nope, pretty sure it was 2000.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Because he carried his team to victory in OT after his team's best player fouled out? Sounds fairly special to me? And why shouldn't it be special? He was extremely clutch in that OT, pretty much handed his team the victory. Aren't you the one who always speaks of how much a guy steps up in the bigger moments? Isn't that what Kobe did here?

The whole "I got you" thing also added to the drama nicely. Sure it was overdone, but then, isn't everything overdone in the NBA when it comes to dramatic/clutch moments? It's a way the NBA sells tickets. People like that kind of thing.

I do remember those first few games by Shaq though. Definition of dominant. What was it, 44/23 and 42/24 or something. Crazy ****.

Nope, pretty sure it was 2000.

Come on man. I know you love the guy and all but I'm more interested in a series as a whole than an individual 4th quarter. The performance in the instance was great, no doubt, but using that game to argue his all time legendary status given the rest of the series is taking it a bit far. How you can argue that that 4th is worthy of the type of hyperbole it's gotten when taking his series as a whole into account is beyond me but you guys always find a way.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
Come on man. I know you love the guy and all but I'm more interested in a series as a whole than an individual 4th quarter. The performance in the instance was great, no doubt, but using that game to argue his all time legendary status given the rest of the series is taking it a bit far. How you can argue that that 4th is worthy of the type of overexaggerating it's gotten when taking his series as a whole into account is beyond me but you guys always find a way.
No one is trying to argue that this is the only thing that makes him legendary. However, when you couple this performance with the MANY others he's had, it does end up giving him what I would call 'legendary status'. It does make him clutch. He stepped up. A bad series all around, didn't play well, but he came through in a huge game, once that WOULD'VE been lost had he not done that.

I'm not trying to say he played spectacularly for the entire series, nor am I trying to give him more credit than he already has for LA winning that series. I'm just trying to point out that his performance in the latter parts of that game 4 were, in fact, special, and that he should be commended for that performance, just like any player would be had it been them.

I'm pretty sure we can at least agree on that much.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #14
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs

I'm pretty sure we can at least agree on that much.

Indeed we can, as I indicated above. It's when people start acting as if his play in that instance overrides the rest of the series that it gets to be too much.

I mean, regardless of that 4th 18 points ppg on 36% shooting is faaaar from a legendary series no matter how you want to slice it. Especially in the Finals.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #15
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
Indeed we can, as I indicated above. It's when people start acting as if his play in that instance overrides the rest of the series that it gets to be too much.

I mean, regardless of that 4th 18 points ppg on 36% shooting is faaaar from a legendary series no matter how you want to slice it. Especially in the Finals.
No one called it a legendary series.

I understand what you're saying though.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: